Actors Who Play Two or More Characters in the Same Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Solitaire1, May 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

Huh... actually Dustin Hoffman is just pretending to be Michael Dorsey who then pretends to be Dorothy Michaels who pretends to be the soap actress. I’m not sure where you draw the distinction... it’s a gorgeous Matruschka doll of a performance.

From Pauline Kael’s review..
    “Hoffman’s performance works at so many different levels in this movie that when Michael is in women’s clothes you keep watching his crooked, lipsticky smile and his mascaraed eyes, to see what’s going on in his head. And when Michael is only Michael, you miss Dorothy, and Emily, too. You can believe that Micheal would be a hit playing Emily Kimberly, because this scrappy woman, with thick wrists and oddly sharp, crooked teeth and a bouffant red hairdo, is more eccentrically, believably alive than anyone you’re likely to see on the soaps”

2. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Jack Warden in "Used Cars". He played both brothers with car dealerships. Funny film. John M.

3. Felipe Mancilla

Felipe Mancilla Member

Eddie Murphy

4. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Yup! I was just going to post about HAIRSPRAY. When Divine shows up as a different character out of drag, it's creepy.

Some things just are not right. Divine dressed as a dude is one of them.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. tennesseeborder

tennesseeborder Forum Resident

Eddie Murphy in Which Way Is Up?

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The distinction is that Michael and Dorothy are the literal same person.

It's not like both people exist separately.

Does Chris Reeve get credit for playing 2 different characters because he's Superman and Clark Kent?

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

O’tay!

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Wow. That better be a parody

9. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

That’s kind of the point... for the purposes of those in the Tootsie universe, both (actually all three) characters do exist separately. And yes, Chris Reeve does get credit, even though the cartoon universe is a lot more simplistic than Tootsie’s.

You know, every website has a guy or two like you who can’t exist unless he has the last word... it’s sad when someone who claims to be a critic feels like it’s more important to try to split hairs into infinity than simply acknowledge that there is a different (and in this case, better) viewpoint.

Is it a greater accomplishment for Peter Sellers to play multiple broadly drawn satirical characters, or for Dustin Hoffman to scale the heights of acting by having his character, with every bit of his artistic integrity intact, invent and inhabit a second character, who then triples the stakes with another character?

So go on and have your final word... ultimately, in my universe, you’re the guest who refuses to leave.... but never gets invited back.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Karen Black in TRILOGY OF TERROR. Yes, there are three separate stories, but in one of them she plays two different sisters.

11. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

@Solitaire1
    Typically, the thread starter makes the call...

unclefred likes this.
  12. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Tony Randall in "7 Faces of Dr. Lao"

[​IMG]

Ghostworld, neo123 and Jazzmonkie like this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Wow - someone needs a hug!

14. tennesseeborder

tennesseeborder Forum Resident

Richard Pryor in Which Way Is Up?

15. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan Thread Starter

Concerning characters who are actors playing other characters within a movie, since it basically that person's job I would not count the role as a separate character. Concerning Tootsie, I'd consider Dustin Hoffman as only one character who is playing two other characters within the movie, rather than each role being a separate individual. To me, it is the same with Superman where Superman and Clark Kent are the same character but Clark Kent putting on the Superman outfit allows him to go out in public as a superhero while he can still have a private life as Clark Kent.

Compare this to Brent Spiner in Star Trek - Nemesis. He plays two character, Data and B4, and both are separate individuals in the story. Likewise, in the movie Star Trek - The Undiscovered Country William Shatner plays two roles, James T. Kirk and a shape-shifter who takes on Kirk's form for a short time.

16. Roger Moore in The Man Who Haunted Himself. We don’t not quite know what the other thing is but it sure ain’t the main character played by Moore.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

An Oscar winning film. Best actor? Or makeup?

18. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

Both Naomi Watts and Laura Elena Harring in Mulholland Drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FallenLeaves likes this.
  19. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Walter Brennan in The Gnome-Mobile.

1967, and had the "Mary Poppins kids!"

20. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

In the Basil Rathbone-Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes film, "The Scarlet Claw"
    Gerald Hamer played Ramson, Potts, Tanner, Nora, and the monster.

21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I just saw this movie for the first time recently... I liked it, but one thing about Michael Caine's dual role was a bit of a head-scratcher for me:

Are we really supposed to believe that Lawrence Olivier's character couldn't tell that the detective was Michael Caine in disguise?

It was blatantly obvious to me within about 5 seconds of his appearance on screen.
    :shrug:

22. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Female Trouble is one film I remember Divine 'performing' in dual roles. Too funny!

23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Jeremy Bulloch in The Empire Strikes Back.... his main role is Boba Fett, but he also plays the Imperial officer on Cloud City who's grabbing Leia when she screams "it's a trap!" to Luke.

Oatsdad likes this.
  24. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Indeed, one of the characters Devine played in Female Trouble "impregnated" the other.

"Just because you got them big udders don't mean you're something special!"

Greg Gee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.