Actors who (think they) are rock stars?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Action, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed...: )

Picca likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's cool...

3. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

steve's career began ( as i recall ) as a writer for the smother's bros tv show ( among other associated cbs stuff ).

he was also pals with the nitty gritty dirt band folks. playing at the troubadour on hoot nites wasn't nearly as lucrative, but i'm certain he'd have done that, regardless. his day job was tv.

around the time of his "wild and crazy guy" madness he had my OTHER next door neighbor ( bobby klein..( my bad uncle ) perhaps best known for his VERY early doors promo pics that my pop got him to shoot - no, not brodsky's or jim marshall's ) and this is what really began his career as a performer, concomitant with the early stages of steve's solo career as a movie guy co-wrote that picture book with steve ( wild and crazy guy in pics whatever? ).

all that said, i was far more interested in his then stunning young blonde GF "iris" who would sneak over the three houses and hang out with me, as i was in awe of her then 17/18? year old beauty. ( i was maybe 15? or 16 ). steve also had a gorgeous yellow 67? jag XKE 2+2 coupe. i had amazing neighbors lol

and to anyone miffed by my mentioning a NAME? suck it :)

4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I don't know about others, but Gary Sinise is doing it more for the support of our veterans....

ARK, limoges, Lee Davis and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mulderre

Mulderre 60s and 70s Music Lover

Fun fact: That song was Number One in Germany for 2 months. And he sang it in New Year's Eve, on top of... the Berlin Wall...

6. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Moe Howard.

7. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

And it was written and produced by Jack White.

ARK likes this.
  8. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

Russ Le Roq. Was releasing singles in 1982, quite a few years before his acting career took off.

[​IMG]

Dudley Morris and fenderesq like this.
  9. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

The title of the album is the fascinating thing as it relates to this thread.

Matthew Tate and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  10. MHS3

MHS3 "Long Live Rock'n'Roll"

I'm sorry i saw this and thought about this thread,pitures say a lot.
    [​IMG]

11. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Jennifer Lopez probably gets a mention here.

I should probably confess that I don't actually own any of her albums or download tracks, but wikipedia reports that she's sold 40 million albums, including several number ones -- a lot of somebodies like her music (or used to)!
    And she was a completely credible actress in Out of Sight, and maybe her other films for all I know.
    Anyway, just watched Out of Sight last night (enjoyable!) and thought of this thread...

12. california_roll

california_roll Memento Mori

Sooner rather than later, history will acknowledge that David single handedly brought down the Berlin Wall...

On a more serious note, I love that song.

13. Kamaaina1

Kamaaina1 Kanikapila!

He did do a great impression of Rick James though... :winkgrin:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Has anyone mentioned Meat Loaf yet?

15. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

Debuting (this evening) this week at #9 in the UK album Chart which his sophomore album Reckless & Me is this 52 year old Canadian actor:

To be fair this sounds like a decent, respectable 3 out of 5 effort at country rock.

16. dmiller458

It's a vanity project.

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

JLo is in an unusual category where it's genuinely difficult to determine if she's more famous as a musician or as an actor.

I think it's a toss-up. She did well in both domains!

ARK, RTurner, Chris DeVoe and 2 others like this.
  18. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Y E S !

ARK likes this.
  19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Whenever is it not a vanity project? That describes every work of art ever released with the permission of its generator, I reckon.

The Keifer Sutherland track posted above is a good song, well played & sung which will appeal to many of us who like rootsy country pop regardless of the fact that the singer-songwriter is primarily known for his acting.

I'm certainly keen to hear more.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I much prefer his Christmas tree performance...

carlwm likes this.
  21. dmiller458

If it wasn't for his acting fame, he wouldn't have a recording contract. If I want to listen to country music; I'll listen to country music recorded by country musicians, not by actors.

22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I don't care about his antecedents as long as his music's good.

Many musicians have had other jobs before their music careers took off. I'm sure that Mick Jagger was a perfectly competent hospital porter before the Stones became popular, for example.

No doubt Keifer's high profile paved the way for a deal but when the songs are as strong as the example above, so what?

Dudley Morris likes this.
  23. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

So is this thread about talent or attitude? A lot of actors can sing and play an instrument. It is part of their craft. They need to be multitalented to get work, especially if they aspire to performing on stage in Broadway musicals etc. Chipping away at actors who dare to sing or play seems to me like a pointless exercise as it is part of what they do.

How they present themselves as themselves however is an entirely different story.

This thread reminds me of an anecdote from John McEnroe's autobiography (not an actor I acknowledge). McEnroe is, I believe, a decent guitarist and when his tennis career was coming to an end he fell heavily into performing as a musician. Failing to make much progress with a musical career he became frustrated and was bemoaning his bad luck to his wife (who is of course a musician). She pointed out to him that you don't get to be the greatest tennis player in the world and then go on to be the greatest rock star. People who are adored for doing one thing in particular tend to expect to be adored for everything they do. But in a similar vein you don't get to be the biggest movie star in the world (as both Johnny Depp and Russell Crowe have arguably been at one time or another) and then get to be the biggest rock star. And the same works in reverse (though Elvis gave it a shot in his early movies and the portents look good for Lady Gaga).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

This girl came from the Sit-Com "Still Standing". Renee Olstead
    [​IMG]

She has a fantastic voice singing pop, rock and the standards.

Randall DeBouvre, GoodKitty and zen like this.
  25. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Scott Grimes

[​IMG]

You're seen him on "The Orville" .

I remember him singing on ER a while back, he was good.
    Comes from the Irish blood :)

ARK likes this.