Ad Astra - Brad Pitt - Sept 20/2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

can't wait to see this...i do hope it's not a disappointment! I do like Brad though...

2. Deja Doh

Deja Doh QUARANTINED

More like Ad Nauseum. Pitt monologues the entire 2 hours. The production is weak. There are weird scene cuts. There was no character to care about. When there was dialogue it seemed to be improvised with the characters wondering why they were even there. I kept waiting for something to happen. Poor. My BPM never got above 60.

3. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I believe the line was something like the "area is too large to pinpoint" - aka the energy surge is huge, they know it's coming from there, but finding the ship itself is too hard without a new signal to zone in on.

4. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Fair enough!

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

So a snooze fest ?

6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Yes, but by all accounts a gorgeous one.

And I don’t mean just Brad... ;)

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Lol. Great opening review lines. Lol!

Shame though

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh god, no. I hate this New Age laconic, repetitive single percussive piano note, linger-on-blowing fields of grass style of filmmaking. If this is another new age touchy feely “Arrival” I’m going to barf. Half these filmmakers have pilfered this Channel/Lexus commercial style of elegiac nothingness. I hate it. It’s a bore.

9. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Well, I still hope you see it, so you can tell me what you think.

SandAndGlass and longdist01 like this.
  10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

That nailed it. Like they're all trying to be Terrence Malik Jr, crawling back into the womb to rediscover the genesis of genesis. Everything means something so amazing it can't be expressed but only suggested by late afternoon sunlit visuals....

Too bad, I was thinking this might be worth seeing. Though I am spoiled after OUATIH

Scott222C, Ghostworld and Vidiot like this.
  11. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Not much of a story, but a visual feast! I loved it for the set design and for Brad Pitt’s intensity and believability in the role. I have never thought all that much of Brad Pitt before, but it’s two stellar performances in a row within just a couple of months, IMHO.

This is the most enjoyable sci fi film I’ve seen in a long while. I liked this a lot more than either Interstellar or Arrival, both of which ultimately fell flat for me.

I can understand the comparison to Apocalypse Now made earlier in the thread.

Loved the Hudson News on the moon!

Aftermath and SBurke like this.
  12. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Are they finally producing Mary Doria Russell's "The Sparrow"? Now that's a story and it baffles me why such compelling sci fi tales don't get produced.

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Haven't seen it yet, the reactions so far are fairly negative, the fan score on Rotten Tomatoes currently stands at a dismal 47% after 910 verified reviews.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Not that I know of.

15. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Pitt carries this film to the halfway point, then no one could carry it past that, because it goes nowhere; an anticlimactic dirge … a "we sat here two hours for that". It could pull a nomination for sound, other than that, a drag … imo.

16. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

There were so many little set pieces that came and went and added nothing to the film... moon pirates...baboons ... pilot freezing at the controls, to name three

17. Dok

Dok Senior Member

My brother went and saw it and said it was 2 hours of his life he can't get back. Told me not to waste mine.

trumpet sounds and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I wonder if they didn't give enough of it away in the first one.
    What exactly does he not know about what happened in-between falling off the space orbiting platform, and the moment he woke up in...some hospital bed later/elsewhere/else-reality...? :idea: Let's make a drinking game out of, "hey, the stars don't match"/"the starts have always been like this, boy"...or, "we have always been at war with East Asia"...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    trumpet sounds likes this.
  19. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

No, because Donna Tarrt's "The Goldfinch" is already ON the big screen. :D

Anyhow, re:"Ad Astra"-I saw the film, very good..loved the space photography.

brownie61 likes this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I went to see the piece of dung know as “It: Chapter 2” and realized why I loved OUATIH so much. Yeah, there’s the Manson story he wants
    To incorporate, but he just takes his
    time focused on crafting these fascinating characters. A film like “It:
    chapter 2” is there to cram in bodies and shocks and battles - which is fine on one
    Level - but there’s no breathing room for characters leftover. They are drained of humanity by their contrivance And those kind of films unwind in uninteresting and predictable ways for me. When there’s nothing but tired, stock characters on the screen - there’s no life.

Good news:
    Dr. Sleep looks excellent!

Juan Matus likes this.
  21. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Saw this this afternoon - pretty good if not great. Stunning visuals and sound design. Rather portentous in places but still worth a watch IMO.

Larry Mc and brownie61 like this.
  22. Saw 'Ad Astra' last night & really dug it. Brad Pitt is killing it this year acting-wise. Movie itself was like a slow dream & took me some time to snap out of it' s depiction of the future.

brownie61 likes this.
  23. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Saw it this evening.

Not great. All the interesting bits (there are few) are just dumped as the film progresses.

Pitt at his most wooden since Interview With A Vampire.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Loved the first half, then the insanely stupid {spoiler} yanked me straight out of the film, and it never recovered.

Mainline461 likes this.
  25. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

There's a line Pitt's character says towards the end of the film, something like "I don't know why I carry on...", and I thought 'that's exactly how I feel watching this crap.'

Precis: Abandoned boy with attachment issues searches for father in space, finds him, space walk tussle ensues, is abandoned again, space walks through an asteroid belt using a door as a shield, returns to earth having saved the solar system, decides humanity is ok after all, pointless doe-eyed girlfriend character forgives all. Total sh*te in other words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.