Adding A Pause To iTunes Album Beginning?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mark Wilson, Jun 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not a big issue but if anyone knows a solution I’d appreciate it.

I’m primarily a physical media guy, and when you push play on a CD or drop the stylus onto a record there’s a few seconds before the first song starts. For me this provides a quick moment to sit back, relax and situate my mind to be ready to absorb that first note.

I’ve found that with iTunes albums, the first song starts immediately once I touch the Play image on my smartphone.

Does anyone know if there’s a way to insert a short pause or something to the beginning?

Again not a biggie and I know I could always just burn it to CD, but if someone knows an answer I’d love to hear it.

Mark

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

This may be a daft question but why not just wait until you're situated before pressing Play?

Scratcha and Big Blue like this.
  3. Mark Wilson

Not a daft question to me, and I hope my answer doesn’t sound daft! When I listen to an album I really want to pay attention to, I tend to close my eyes and rest my hands on my lap and stuff. So to see the Play button I have to pay attention to the device up to right after the song starts. So even if I’m already situated for the most part I’m still not giving the beginning of the first song my full attention, and for some albums that first chord can be something I don’t want to miss so to speak. Hope that doesn’t sound too goofy.

I should also mention that since I only have a few downloads I haven’t hooked up a hard drive to my sound system. I suppose if I were using my computer there might be software to do something like this, but for now I’m just running my smartphone directly in.

Mark

Scratcha likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

What you're referring to is called a pregap, a 2-second pause before the first song of a CD. Few CDs have that and when ripping, the default setting is to remove it. In fact, what you wish to do is the exact opposite of what everyone else wants so I'd be surprised if a smartphone audio playing app would sport that option.

Your options are really to either add it manually via a PC, learn to live with the status quo, or look for other devices such as a STB player that'd give you the ability to use a remote control to do exactly what you want without having to start editing every first track of every album. That'd cost some money. Or what I would do would be to get a 2-second silent track and add that as the first file of every album so that will play before the actual first track plays. That'd cut down on the amount of work. You'd have to make sure it's called something like 11.mp3 to ensure it's the first file in the list.

Alternatively, you could hook up a PC to your TV with a wireless mouse that you could use to click on Play while sitting down.

I don't think what you're saying is nonsensical but realize that since every album is recorded at different volumes, you'd want to adjust the volume knob accordingly anyway so... Personally, I don't see any difference between pressing on Play on your smartphone and Up/Down on a remote control to adjust the volume. But if to you, there is a huge difference and this is of prime importance, there are some options available to you, although they'd all cost something ; either time or money.

5. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I think you can make the adjustment you want for specific song titles clicking to "song info" from song you have selected to play and then adjust in "options". Note to get space you want it must be adjusted from the end of previous song in playlist.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Mark Wilson likes this.
  6. Mark Wilson

Thanks very much for such a detailed reply. I’ll think about some of these ideas further and I do appreciate them.

I kinda knew I was going against the grain when I asked this question so I’m not surprised there isn’t an easy answer. And fortunately it’s one of those “it’d be nice, but not crucial” kind of things.

Mark

7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Why don’t you tell Siri to play it?

Mark Wilson likes this.
  8. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

There is an easy answer create your playlist in iTunes with a throw away 1st selection. Right click on that 1st song then left click window "song info" then left click "options" and add time to tail end of first song and all after. Only the first song will play without pause to opening.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

In case you're playing an album via a playlist, add a silence track before the album's first track.

George P, Big Blue and Mark Wilson like this.
  10. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

That's what I was thinking of too: making a short (such as 2-second) silent track that you can insert at the beginning of playlists.

andrewskyDE and Mark Wilson like this.
  11. Mark Wilson

That worked perfectly! Thanks!

Ironically after I asked Siri to play it and got the little chirping acknowledgment, there was about a 2 second gap before the song started lol.

Thanks.

Mark

12. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

John Lennon's Nutopian International Anthem is apparently available on Apple Music. At last, you've found a use for it.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I believe somewhere in the settings you can turn off those sounds if you wish. I could be wrong though.

Mark Wilson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.