Adding A Pre-Amp???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HeavyDistortion, Jan 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member Thread Starter

I currently have a Krell 300i Integrated Amplifier which I am very happy with, however it only has a volume control, and no way to control the EQ of the source being played. I'm guessing that by adding a pre-amp to the Krell, if it will take one, I will then be able to add a little EQ when necessary, which probably won't be that often. I would like to know how a pre-amp would be connected to the Krell, and how it would function. Please forgive me for being so naive about these things, but up until six months ago, all I ever used were integrated amplifiers with tone controls, and a stand-alone equalizer. Again, I do like the natural, clear sound that the Krell produces, but there are times that the CDs being played definitely need a little EQ help. If the Krell will take a pre-amp, and I decide to buy one, I'm leaning towards an Adcom GFP-565, which I've even seen Steve Hoffman recommend on a previous post. Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

First, I would be very surprised if you don't have an aux input/output through which you can add an EQ and tailor the sound through it that way. Also, some integrated amps have outputs from their pre-amps and inputs to their built in amps connected by a jumper cable or hard U type connector. You should have at least the AUX input which will solve your particular problem (adding an EQ) and negate the need for an external preamp.

If you did want to go to an external pre (probably not needed to solve this problem) and, you like the sound of Krell you are far better off buying Krell separates.

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Also a DJ mixer is a great way to get a phono stage as well, you can also add other things as well. What you can add is seemingly endless with DJ mixers as well as there are piggyback stereo cables that allow you to plus additional components on the same channel.

4. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

I would agree with Khorn, first choice would be to match your amp with
    KRELL. The synergy will probably be better between the two.

If you're looking for value and quality, there is a Canadian company
    Sonic Frontiers which makes excellent separates. They also have a
    sister company Anthem for the more budget conscious. Still excelent
    gear. The exchange rate is so favorable that you really get your moneys
    worth buying Canadian products.

Check Audiogon on the web too! Always a great place to buy equipment.

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

At least what I did was offer a versatile alternative but the Gary and Khorn are right that their opinion is the best one in this case.

6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

If your integrated amp has a tape loop, you should be able to run a graphic equalizer through that. Also, using the tape loop will allow you to take the equalizer out of the playback chain when it's not needed.

There is no such thing as a flat equalizer once it's in the loop -- just the jacks and interconnects needed to rig the equalizer will impart a slight haze on to the music.

There are many graphic equalizers out there. But adjusting eight or more levels for each recording gets real old real fast. If you're only looking to take the edge off the top end of a recent recording or boost the bass on an older recording, I'd recommend a simpler high-end bass/treble rig from dB Systems or Creek.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Does this integrated amp have a tape loop? If so, you can run the equalizer through the tape loop!

One considerstion may be to keep the integraty of the Krell intact. In other words, the purest sound comes from the Krell itself. The more electronics between the source and the output, the more muddy the sound will be. So by using the tape look for the equalizer, by the flick of a switch, you can go between pure sound and EQ'd sound.

Is is sort of what Khorn said except you're using an tape loop, not an aux. loop.

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

..... looks like Ron Stone is a much, much faster typist than I am..... :( I guess I should have paid more attention in typing class! ;)

Gary

9. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member Thread Starter

Everyone, thanks for the replies. The Krell does have a tape monitor input section, so adding an EQ could be the way to go. As Gary states, I do not really want to cloud the Krell's sound in any way, except on certain CDs that might need some EQ. So, it appears from the replies, that if I connected an EQ through the tape monitor of the Krell, that it would only affect the sound when using the tape monitor loop. By the way, Khorn will love this, my speakers are 1976 Klipsch Cornwall Decorator models.

Ron Stone:

Do happen to know approximtely how much the Creek and dB Systems bass/treble rigs go for?

Thanks,

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

10. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

May I tack on my own request? My amp (a tube thing) has inputs but no loops at all, and I hate using it to switch sources. Can a (solid-state?) pre-amp be used to switch between sources, and feed out to one of the int. amp's inputs, without amplifying the signal (unnecessary) and without contributing a Hum?

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Why don't you just get a "passive"? You can have gain and four inputs without using electricity.

12. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

Thanks Steve, this sounds like the right thing! A passive preamp. Any recommendations?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.