Adele is back (new single Oct 15 2021); new album "30" to drop 19th November 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mazanahmed, Feb 16, 2021.

1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

2. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Where is she? Has she dropped? What does all this mean? Is she 33 or flirty? So mysterious! :hide:

3. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident

My mental impression of Adele is that she does dull songs about break-ups. She's a darling of the traditional press though, and her album will obviously go to No. 1 in the UK and America, so I guess she's about to be everywhere again.

Music has moved on a lot since she was last around so it'll be interesting to see if she's now only really relevant to older audiences or if there's something in the sound of the album that is designed to appeal to the current pop landscape.

4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I'm a moderate fan, but can certainly see your criticism. The last album was too "same-y" for me from what I heard, so I passed. But I'm fascinated by her massive success and think she's definitely got talent.

This track was a "bonus track" on some versions of her second album and is one of my favorites. It's a cover, but I think it shows an interesting side of her that's removed from the hit singles:

I think the vocal is terrific and I like the acoustic/Americana vibe it has.

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Meanwhile, Barbra Streisand has promised to release her next album, "29", "about things that were happening to me at that age," before the end of 2022.

6. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

"Rolling in the Deep" is still her only great song. All the follow ups and whining ballads are insufferable.

7. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

I like Adele a lot but can completely understand the “same-y” criticism - she could certainly do with a little more variation in her material (there’s some variety, but all in a relatively narrow stylistic box). Someone Like You is a great song, but we didn’t need seventeen more not-as-good versions on the album. :)

That said, Rolling In The Deep is a truly great, classic song. Someone Like You, Chasing Pavements and Hello are all impressive, too, and she did a great Brandi Carlile cover as a bonus track on her second album.

Adele’s always worth a listen to me, even if primarily to pick out the 5-6 best tracks on an album.

8. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Probably another lot of boring Piano Ballads and Faux-Soul tunes.

9. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

10. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Which do you think Set Fire To The Rain is - follow up or whining ballad?

Ditto

Keep on trolling folks!

11. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

A large portion of her sales had been physical media. So, it'll be interesting to see the effect on her fanbase.

mrjinks likes this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I thought Hello was a great lead single from her last album.

joy stinson, Thorpy, Sordel and 5 others like this.
  13. LesMcQueen

LesMcQueen Forum Resident

Trolling or an opinion? In sure she's over-exposed enough to have at least some dissenters.

I'd like her to do more Set Fire To The Rain and Runour Has It type-choons and less of the ballads about an ex-partner or trite sh.ite (When We Were Young).

JulesRules and JDeanB like this.
  14. LesMcQueen

LesMcQueen Forum Resident

She's always three or more years older than the name of the records she releases. I guess she has to stick with the trend now but the vanity is a bit cringe.

elgoodo likes this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I think it’s to do with when she started making the record…

That’s why her age seems off.

Grant, TonyACT, RSteven and 1 other person like this.
  16. Teufelzkerl

In this case it qualifies for both! :D

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  17. stillrockin

If you don't like Adele why are you even bothering to reply?

Grant and joy stinson like this.
  18. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

I am a fan of Adele's. She is not a core artist for me but I have enjoyed all 3 of her albums. Like others have commented, I do understand the expressed perceptions that her music all sounds the same to non-fans. This clip does not exactly wow me; it sounds too similar to about a dozen or more of her other tracks. When Hello was released it had a brooding, mournful sound and vocal that was captivating. I am not sure she is going to be repeating that with this new track, but then, it is only 17 or 21 seconds worth.

mrjinks likes this.
  19. Teufelzkerl

Because you asked and I like to?

joy stinson and goodiesguy like this.
  20. stillrockin

Well I will ask that you kindly don't post your negativity on this thread again thank you.

joy stinson likes this.
  21. Teufelzkerl

You can ask what you want but I just stated my opinion and will continue to do so. This is a discussion board rather than a fanboy-feelgood club.

22. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Posts here haven't tended to veer into fanboy territory. This is really just to announce her new album. It's not as if this is like those threads that exaggerate the relative importance of Stone Temple Pilots. Then some of that good natured trolling would be totally justified.

23. Adele should cover 'Interstate Love Song'.

24. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I don’t have a dog in this fight but I saw her live on her last tour and frankly she knocked it out of the park. I wouldn’t give her albums house room but she’s a huge talent and frankly I love that there is new mainstream music that’s big enough to be “an event” which a new Adele album definitely is. Good to have her back, I’m sure I’ll give it a listen and then move on to something else. But I’m nearly 50 and new music mainly leaves me cold these days so it’s my problem not hers. Great to see her back.

25. McKigney

McKigney Forum Resident

Hello belongs to that select class of 'hugely anticipated lead single from the follow-up to a global smash'. I think this class is interesting, as a gauge to see how well an artist can continue the momentum and deliver in giving people what they've been craving. I think Hello successfully does that, but I also think it's a tad overrated too. Could be an interesting thread topic

rfkavanagh and Bobby Morrow like this.