Adele is back (new single Oct 15 2021); new album "30" to drop 19th November 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mazanahmed, Feb 16, 2021.

1. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

I really enjoyed Hello, and I thought they did a pretty masterful job of orchestrating the launch - the anonymous TV teasers during primetime, the short snippets, etc., really helped position it as a momentous occasion. It's all marketing of course, but the song was no slouch in itself so it didn't end up disappointing.

They seem to be taking a similar approach this time, but it doesn't feel as exciting - more a been-there-done-that kind of thing. I hope the song ends up amazing, but the clip just gives the impression of another generic Adele song. That said, I can't imagine they'd launch her new album with a track like that so I have plenty of hope, but right now it's not having the same effect as the disembodied, anonymous "Hello..." calling out from the darkness after a years-long absence.

Also, I forgot about Set Fire To The Rain - that's another great track. :)

Thorpy likes this.
  2. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i wasn't too fond of her last album, but really enjoyed her first two albums and the Skyfall song.
    I'll check it out, but won't be a first day purchaser like i was for 25

i still think "I'll Be Waiting" is her best song. it's just SO GOOD!!!

Grant, veon and walrus like this.
  3. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

the album is all instrumental? :)

Tim

4. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

So stoked for this!

joy stinson likes this.
  5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

So the album is to drop Nov 19th. Will be interesting to see the sales of this one.

D-rock likes this.
  6. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

I see she has gone with copying hello I must be going for the cover. So she must be proceeding through Phil Collins covers chronologicaly now can’t wait to see the no jacket required look on her for 37

7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

As an old school journo I remember when “-30-“ meant “end of story” :tiphat:

8. Oaw

Oaw Forum Resident

Typical Adele song, I wish she would change the formula a little bit. Oh well.

9. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, I agree, but maybe she'll take some chances on the deeper cuts. Probably not, but you never know. On the other hand, she puts out albums so sparingly that it's kinda like a new AC/DC record, if they were still putting one out every year it'd get old fast, but after 5+ years, you're kinda ready for some musical comfort food. She's not my favorite artist but she's a great talent and I think she's excellent at what she does. I was really impressed with her show on the last tour.

MikeManaic61 and Oaw like this.
  11. Oaw

Oaw Forum Resident

We are definitely on the same page about her talent, she is amazing. But I always end up feeling like I've heard the song before. But hey, at least she's putting out new music. I'd rather have it than be without.

12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah. I get it. But it's great when you're in a mood for this sort of thing.

JoeF. and Oaw like this.
  13. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

The song’s fine for what it is - enjoyable enough, but there’s a complete and total lack of progression or ambition in her stylistic approach. Hopefully there’ll be more interesting tracks on the album.

DesertHermit and D-rock like this.
  14. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

15. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

I really like Adele and her music is always great to me, I am looking forward to the new album. I saw her when she came to Australia and her concert was incredible - it was a real experience - just wish the concert was officially released on DVD. Roll on to the new album :wiggle:

joy stinson, RSteven and D-rock like this.
  16. zen

zen Senior Member

That new song was a snooze fest.
    I like Rolling in the Deep; other than that, nada.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    JulesRules likes this.
  17. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Jesus, what an underwhelming song. Incredibly hackneyed lyrics, too

18. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I can never hear "Someone Like You" without Carly Simon's "That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be" popping up in my head. As to "Hello," what segues in my mind after the first line in the first verse is from a certain Todd Rundgren song: " . . . I've thought about us for a long, long time . . . "

But hey . . . may Adele live and be well.

JoeF. likes this.
  19. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

I agree. First two albums were fine. Overexposure thereafter, IMO.

20. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

She really needs to mix it up a little. Explore, go little crazy with the production maybe, her voice is decent but she needs to get out there.

DesertHermit and rfkavanagh like this.
  21. Station17

Station17 Time to play B-sides...

Not a huge fan and likely won’t buy any of her material in the future. As far as radio-type pop music of the last decade, I do prefer her music over much of what I’ve heard.

The one song of hers that I think is amazing is “Right as Rain”...I have this tune (can’t remember how I got it...) and always enjoy hearing it.

22. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Kind of odd that VMP is offering a black vinyl version whereas Amazon has a cheaper version on white vinyl.

30 (Amazon Exclusive White Vinyl) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HVTKLPQ

23. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Any mention of bonus tracks on various versions?

24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Not a bad song. "Typical Adele" it may very well be, but there's always a place in this world for a good piano ballad.
    Especially now.

Also, is the video a signal that it's coming out on cassette ?

D-rock likes this.
  25. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Grant, mrjinks and D-rock like this.