Adele is back (new single Oct 15 2021); new album "30" to drop 19th November 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mazanahmed, Feb 16, 2021.

1. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

RSteven, lennonfan1 and D-rock like this.
  2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I admittedly am only familiar with a smattering of her hits, and like a few of them, most notably Rolling in the Deep, but while Adele has a great voice, it often seems like her songs are excuses to show off her vocal range rather than coming off as emotional songs from the heart. Don't get me wrong, if I had a voice like hers, I'd probably want to show it off as well, but it just feels a bit too much technique and not enough character, IMO.

68reissue, grx8, MikeManaic61 and 2 others like this.
  3. Gary the Aggie

Gary the Aggie Forum Resident

19 was a great album. 21 was good, but not as good. I need to listen to 25 again, but I don’t recall hearing anything from that album that grabbed me. This new single isn’t particularly memorable, either.

I really want to like this album as well as the first two, because I have enormous respect for Adele’s talent. I’m concerned, though, that it’s just going to play to the formula. If it sells another 20 million copies, I guess there won’t be any reason to change.

4. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I think of ELO “Telephone Line”

JulesRules likes this.
  5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I quite like the new single, after feeling the last album - what I heard of it - was sort of “formula.” I guess she’s divorced now, so this one has a ring of authenticity to me. I hear some genuine pain/regret in this tune. Eager to hear more, at this point…

Grant, lennonfan1, Oaw and 1 other person like this.
  6. MarLin

MarLin Forum Resident

7. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I just got an email with a link to the ltd dbl clear vinyl... £35.99 I’ve hardly bought any vinyl this year as the prices have gone ridiculous. It’s already sold out too.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

The new single Easy On Me, doesn't exactly reinvent the Adele wheel, but it's still quite a pretty song.

RSteven and panasoffkee like this.
  9. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Amazon has an exclusive 2lp white vinyl edition of 30 that runs about 40 ;)

Geordiepete likes this.
  10. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Easy way to save about 40, then!

I liked her first two albums, but since the dreary, predictable 'Easy on Me' is the one she picked to share first with the world for 30, it's a simple pass for me.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It might grow with repeated hearings, but on the first one, Easy On Me is heavy on yawping and very light on melody.

It sounds like the third single released from one of her other albums.

12. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

When the teaser came out with just the piano intro my wife started into "Heaven" by Bryan Adams and, although they're not really very close at all, I can definitely hear a resemblance to "Go Easy On Me" in that song, especially to the middle eighth. In a way that might be a good thing, but in another way it's a bad thing. Then again, I've found in the past that Adele's songs sound quite ordinary and then two months later they sound like modern classics, so I can't write it off prematurely.

I think that the video is somewhat irritating with its wink to the viewer that when the cameras aren't rolling she's just the same ol' Adele. Given that the song is an explanation to her son why she divorced his father, I think that she should have stayed in character.

I can't say that I'm excited by a new Adele release but I've enjoyed her music in the past so I'm keeping an open mind.

13. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

The song is totally predictable Adele by numbers. And of course, she is all over the press at the moment dripping on about her marriage breakdown. You can see she chose this song as the lead single to specifically tie in with that narrative. Of course though, she's made a career out of this sort constant "poor me" narrative.

14. CaptainFeedback1

CaptainFeedback1 It's nothing personal.

Indeed.

"Go easy on me, I was just a child..." You were 30. THIRTY.

Utter b*ll*cks, if you'll excuse the vernacular. But that's par for the course as far as her abysmal lyrics are concerned. "Oh I heard you'd moved on, got married and had a family... so I thought I'd turn up at your door uninvited like some unhinged harridan." Restraining order, soon as you can please.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  15. CaptainFeedback1

CaptainFeedback1 It's nothing personal.

And breathe...

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The new song unfortunately does sound rather familiar. It's 21 all over again at 30 which she isn't any more. Does she deliberately dump a bloke or get dumped just to get material for an album? Actually 19 was the high point and she wrote most of that. The more recent albums have lots of collaborators which according to Amazon is the same here. I smell Max Martin all over it. I did like Hello so bought 25, but I have a sort of negative feeling about this one especially hearing the divorce is the inspiration. Adele needs to sort out her relationship problems but not assume the world needs to know all about them. A better title for this album might have been 'Loads Of Money Makes Me Miserable (again)' instead of copping out on the age thing (yet again) - and she hasn't been 30 for over 3 years now???

17. Bobby Morrow

I don’t think Max Martin is involved in this track.. It’d have more of a melody if he was.

18. Bobby Morrow

It’s just been on the radio. It doesn’t improve with repeated plays. So hopefully that will save people some time.

I’m amused to see her outside being blown to bits by the wind again in the video..

You’d think she’d just wait for a calmer day to film them!

19. MikeVielhaber

Yeah, according to wikipedia it's Greg Kurstin cowriting and producing.

20. Bobby Morrow

Makes sense. Say what you like about Max Martin, but he writes very clever melodies.

Grant likes this.
  21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

A friend texted me that she really likes the new song. So I put it on this morning. Honestly, I couldn't sit through it. Just plain boring. I like ballads and confessionals. But this song just sits there.

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

He is involved in the album as far as the blurb I read suggests.

23. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

I thought the song was quite good actually. I like it better than anything i heard from 25.
    I will be buying the Target exclusive version at my local Target on release date, just like i did for 25.

RSteven and D-rock like this.
  24. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I found I didn't give "25" much of a go until I heard this version of "When We Were Young" from SNL - a mixture of the lyrics and music just grabbed me, then I found I really enjoyed the album version and that led me to having a similar connection to "Water Under The Bridge". I found I liked most of the album after that.

Also regarding the new single, nice to see it's a tiny bit less "slammed" than 25, small mercies.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  25. MikeVielhaber

He is, but you didn't hear him on this track.