Adele is back (new single Oct 15 2021); new album "30" to drop 19th November 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mazanahmed, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

She's continuing with the Phil Collins style sleeves. Hello, I Must Be Going...

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Yes. You can’t blame her for not wanting to upset the apple cart, I suppose.

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I just saw the video for the new single. Has Adele really been kidnapped by the Americans? I fear she is now part of an A-list cult that is more concerned with hair, nails, lips and body mass and less about vocal ability and songwriting skill. I hope I am wrong about this, because I always thought Adele was great and admired her for being so down to earth, funny and quintessentially British.

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

her older albums are filling the used bins around here.

5. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Seriously… don’t hold back… what are your real feelings regarding “Easy on Me”?

6. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Never understood all the hype.
    All i hear is boring-to-death half-cooked unmelodic songs and brickwalled sound.
    Sorry.

JulesRules and elgoodo like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Well, what did you want me to say? I gave an honest opinion.

8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

At this point, Adele feels like the pop version of Tool: she made such a huge impact and name for herself early on that by only doing new music seemingly every other leap year, it becomes a major event when new music hits, and how good it is or isn't almost doesn't even matter to her fans, as they are just so happy to get something new after the long drought of nothing.

FJFP, DesertHermit and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

“Easy On Me” is pretty typical but in hearing it I can’t help but feel it’s better suited to a male voice.

10. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

New interview with Adele on BBC Radio 1's Breakfast Show with Greg James:

joy stinson likes this.
  11. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

I hate "drop" too. It sounds gross.

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

With the level of cd sales she attained it was virtually guaranteed that her albums would populate used bins and then the thrift shops quite a bit.

rfkavanagh likes this.
  13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Your comment reminded me of this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRSQG6ytR78&ab_channel=UniversalComedy :)

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  14. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I saw an article recently that she has 3 houses in LA, because "she can't afford London." So sad.

15. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Some might confuse it as a new Release from Weird Al Yankovich.

16. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

Is there heavy-handed compression on the Easy On Me vocal? It seems like a great vocal performance but it's not particularly pleasant to listen to.

JulesRules likes this.
  17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

This analysis does point to why Adele is so popular. People crying out for real singing and instruments? I don't think this song is up to her previous work but up against the autotuned / electronic brit music put out by Dua Lipa, and now even Ed Sheeran and Coldplay this does stand out. I don't know why Adele's success hasn't resulted in more natural sounding records.

lennonfan1, RSteven and D-rock like this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

See above post. Exactly the opposite I think. Adele's voice is far from perfect and naturally grates a bit. Maybe some mike overload?

19. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

I know for one that I don't want her voice to be perfect, because perfect means autotune etc.

RSteven and walrus like this.
  20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Because the venn diagram of people who could create such a record and artists whom labels think can reach Top 40 levels of success is very, very small at the moment.

(That isn't to say there aren't talented artists right now. Quite the contrary! But most of the ones I'm thinking of who could do a relatively organic album, free of autotune and studio trickery aren't necessarily making music that's gonna threaten the Hot 100, y'know? I think the new Lorde and Halsey albums are interesting steps in this direction, but I'm not sure how they're faring compared to previous stuff)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    JulesRules and eddiel like this.
  21. Jack

Jack Senior Member

My wife and all her girlfriends and female relatives love Adele. If it comes on while I’m at home, I just go upstairs and put on the Stones.

richarm likes this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yes sir, billie eilish is next.......

23. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

Eilish is a v0calist who appeals to me. She doesn't yell, and she's not melodramatic.

JulesRules, FJFP and D-rock like this.
  24. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

She probably has sold and will sell a small fraction of the physical product that Adele has sold.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  25. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I’m actually amazed at how she has been able to weather the fact her career was about to take off right at the time of the pandemic. Tours canceled etc. she’s going strong despite that. I picked up 2 tickets to see her in February with my 16 year old daughter.