Adjusting speaker toe-in angle in to meet right behind listening spot

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by radioalien, Jan 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radioalien

radioalien We came in peace for all mankind Thread Starter

Yielded great results for me. I had a more extreme toe angle after adjusting them outwards just a bit it helped widen the sound stage out while retaining excellent imaging.

Tim 2, bluemooze and guestuser like this.
  2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Most of the time, speakers will sound better off axis. Toe them in, and the soundstage will collapse.

jeff

guestuser likes this.
  3. radioalien

Definitely, it had this sort of crowded tunnel sound, is best I can describe it, but it is very subtle and it didn't take much adjusting outwards to change it

4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I have mine toed in to aim a bit behind my head. Maybe I should try widen it a bit.
    I do sit quite close to a wall though.

PhxJohn likes this.
  5. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

I've never owned a speaker that had heavy toe in. I've owned speakers that reviewers have toed right in and found it to be the worst possible position. The room, positioning, etc are variables but it's a huge mistake to not try speakers in many positions.

6. Diapason

Diapason Forum Resident

Here's something that feels like it shouldn't work but has delivered good results: toe them in so far they meet in front of your listening position. I can't remember what his reasons were, but I read an article where Bruno Putzeys suggested it, and sure enough...

Gjo likes this.
  7. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

So far all my speakers been set up with a mild toe in. No more than say 15 degrees at the most. Yielded good results. It’s a balancing act between getting a very focused centre image and a wide soundstage.

Extreme toe in ... never tried it but probably will one day when I’m free. Sounds interesting. A few reviewers done it and they say it’s best with horn loaded speakers.

8. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

Mine are toed into about 12 inches of each ear of my listening position. I used a laser pointer for accuracy, added bonus is the cat loves to play with the little green dot.

WhatDoIKnow, radioalien and tIANcI like this.
  9. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

Depends on the speakers, some are said (only tried with LS3/5a) to need to cross before your nose
    In that case it worked (the were on the corners of my writing desk
    Not tried with bigger speakers as it would look so odd
    Generally 15% off tweeter axis (especially with horns) is good

10. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

To me best is straight at my head. I've tried other (with my Titus nearfield monitors anyway) and still find that best. Should re-try I guess, but the soundstage certaintly doesn't "collapse" or whatever with that toe-in. The speakers just disappear, presenting a wide and deep soundscape.

I'm sure it is speaker-dependent, so I need to experiment with my MA Silver 8s. Currently just pointing at my head as well, sound pretty good (not quite as deep/open as the minimonitors, but that might just be the nature of the beast).

drew phillips likes this.
  11. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

It's definitely speaker dependent. I'm going by the equilateral triangle placement method; speakers 7' apart, listening position is 7.5' away.
    Following John Devore's setup instructions, towers have about 20° toe-in and are raked back 1.5". Soundstage is wide and deep and speakers disappear. Very focused image using room treatments.

drew phillips likes this.
  12. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

I read that Devore did this in a demo and freaked out the listener with a holographic image.
    So I tried a 45° toe-in and the holographic effect was awesome with sound projected forward and also from the side walls whilst retaining a deep image. After a couple days I went back to my setup, it sounded too much like an effect. It's not how real music is presented. But it would definitely impress your friends.

13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Mine are toed in so that a straight line from the tweeter passes at 20 cms from my ears.

14. radioalien

JBL's manual for mine show them "not" toed in when it is showing you how to set them up. They are just pointing straight ahead and the angle is 40-60 degrees. They don't sound bad at all that way, but I found toeing them helped.

15. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

My room is 32' long, speakers are 3' out. The listening position is another 13' or so and 16 to the rear wall. Mine are toed in very little, they converge on the center of the rear wall which puts the axis 2' either side of the lp.

The speakers are 6' apart. The horizontal dispersion is good, < 2 dB loss over 10 degrees which are 4.5' wide windows centered 2' from either side of the lp. I've played with straight ahead and tied in at the lp, the current set up sound best.

[​IMG]

16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

You toe them in to where they sound best. So simple.

bever70, Diapason, Tone? and 2 others like this.
  17. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Yeah ... this is so true. I just tried to adjust my AudioSolutions Figaro M with more toe in. Room is 13’ x 24’. Speakers are 3’ from front wall, 6’ apart, sitting 6.5’ away. With very little toe in, maybe 10 degrees max, it sounded best. Tried more toe in and the sound stage was not as wide. Sounded a bit funny with more toe in.

Guess it’s very much speaker and room dependent.

sotosound and bluemooze like this.
  18. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

I also use "excessive" toe-in angle as my bride likes to listen to music too, so the "sweet spot" has to be much wider then for just one person. Both of us get great stereo imagining even tho each of us is setting pretty much by our respective speakers.

John76 likes this.
  19. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I have a fairly large room and have mine setup according to these instructions.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Been getting the toe to meet just behind the listening position for decades. Seems to work best with most speakers.

21. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

Yes, I even got my Martin Logan reQuests to spread their ilk out farther in the digital room. That will cover 3 people on the couch with everyone getting pretty good imaging. Symmetry and experimentation are the tools to success, plenty of failures before I figured out what was actually needed to accomplish my task.

22. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I just play music with instruments which are very familiar to me which have solo sections and are placed in the middle of the soundstage.
    So for example Violin. Which I used to play. So I know what it sounds like well.

then I start straight and toe in till the solo violin sounds as real as I can get.
    That is, too much toe in and the violin will sound too thin and sharp. Too wide and it will start sounding washed out. I get it till it sounds as natural as can be.

I do the same with vocals in the middle. But it’s easier for me to do with an instrument since I’m a musician.

Once the middle image is proper all else falls into place of course.

radioalien and Lowrider75 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.