Adobe Audition anguish

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dillydipper, Oct 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite Thread Starter

Used CoolEdit, then Adobe Audition, for years - took me even longer, to convince every radio station I worked at, they needed it in their Production suites, as well. Dutifully, I did the updates, tried the plug-ins, bragged about the user-friendliness that put more "pro" systems to shame.

Sometime in the 'teens, when I went to work starting my online station, I decided to bite the bullet and pay full price for Adobe Audition 3.0. Frankly, 2.5 was still working fine for me, so I didn't decide to switch over until 2014, so I got out my fresh, shiny new discs...and discovered, they wouldn't install anymore, because...Adobe was giving the product away free now, and I needed a universal serial number. So, I went to Adobe, downloaded a program I'd already paid some bucks for, and used their free version, with the updated serial number. And, upgraded immediately to 3.0.1, the last update before they slipped it into their "pay-by-the-month-forever" Creative Cloud. This was fine by me, I had everything I would need...

...until Monday before last, when it would only open in Multitrack View, and trying to get it into Edit View would crash it. Nothing I could do would change that. So hello Tech Support. And he would tell me where things were, which weren't there. He would tell me to un-hide folders, and they didn't all show up. Most frustrating, he would tell me what to do, I'd answer "it won't do that", or "it's not there"...and after three days I would have to poke him for a specific "what now" answer.

A week and a half later, I'm sitting with installation discs in one hand, universal serial number in the other, unanswered questions sitting online, and just walking back to the compyooter every three hours or so to see if I get a response...days go by.

If Adobe wants me to pay them $20 a month for the same program I've been using flawlessly for years without incident...this is not the way they're going to succeed.

Tell me - for an avowed-and-dissed Adobe Audition user, just how familiar will I be, getting used to Audacity...?

2. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I've used Audacity for at least a decade now- it's not perfect, but free is a pretty low bar. ;)

However, I've never used Audition, so no basis for comparison...

Exotiki likes this.
  3. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

eeglug likes this.
  4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Audition 3.whatever and CS 5 both work fine in my Windows 10 machine.

BrilliantBob and tin ears like this.
  5. Dillydipper

I'm stuck in Multitrack View default, and can't change the default in "Window">"Workspace". Clicking "Edit" at the top, popup tells me "Shutting down"; "To continue working where you left off, please restart Audition." OK, and it says, "Runtime error R6025 - pure virtual function call". OK, then it shuts down.

Opening the program, I'm faced with three choices of "Previous Session Detected" (of which there actually is none): "continue now", "delete", "continue later". No choice alters the outcome, just puts me into Multitrack View.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  6. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Something to try--

Close Audition. Look in the Audition directory for a filename ending in .INI . Rename that file to end in .iniold . Look for any filenames ending in .tmp and delete those. Open Audition.

Grant likes this.
  7. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I am presuming this is a Windows machine. Try creating a new Administrator account and try to install from it - it might be something in your account, not the computer.

8. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Not an Audacity problem but maybe a parallel Adobe problem: I have been using the Lightroom photo editing software for more than a decade. Now there's also a mobile version that is very useful to achieve actually quite stunning results with a smartphone if you shoot RAW. Your photos and edits are stored in Adobe's cloud and also synced to the desktop version. Supposedly :shake: I lost more than a thousand mobile photos and the many, many hours of editing I had put into them when I got a new computer. Adobe's support were of absolutely no help at all :realmad:

I managed on my own to find a folder on my computer where the original raw photos files but the edits are lost. I get the Creative Cloud suite through my work, and I have so many hours invested in my main Lightroom photo library that I'll continue to use Adobe, but do I trust them to keep my photos safe? No way :mad:

9. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

I still use and love Audition, but I use two different versions. I use 3.0.1 for most things but I also use the last thick client version for a couple of things. They both respond differently, as it was rebuilt from scratch after 3.0.1 and not necessarily for the better. I will use these as long as I can because a monthly subscription is not my thing. I use Audacity very rarely but for one function only, and that's only when Audition doesn't provide similar results. It's not too common but there are times I will do small sections of a song in different programs to achieve the desired results. I've never sampled a program, free or top of the line, that does exactly what I need all in one package.

Grant likes this.
  10. Grant

Same here. And, if it gets to the point where AA 3.0.1 or CS5 no longer run on my main W10 computer, i'll set up an old W7 or W8 PC and use it exclusively for that purpose. I could run it in a VM but that is too much of a hassle.

The only reason Adobe gets away with their subscription and cloud model is because the movie and television industry continues to support it. If Adobe continues to rake in the money, they have no incentive to go back to the old model for anyone.

11. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Whatever those config files are, rename them with "old" added to the extension, and retry. Audition may reset itself to defaults and create new config files. If it doesn't work, you can try renaming them one by one removing "old" at the end.

12. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I guess I'm going to keep using Windows 7 Professional on my desktop computer. I was thinking about updating it to Windows 10 since Microsoft will soon stop their support of Windows 7. But with (1) with seeming difficulty of running Audition on other platforms and (2) the fact I need Windows 7 Professional's XP emulator mode to use my CS3 versions of Photoshop and Illustrator, I'm not going to change the operating system. Instead, maybe I'll just change the name of the computer from Studio to Antiquated Adobe.

13. Dillydipper

I have two Audition directories, one in the Run Path:
    C:>Program Files x86>Adobe>Audition>Audition 3.0, and another in the Data Path:
    C:>Users>(my name)>AppData>Roaming>Adobe>Audition>3.0

The Run Path has neither temp files, or .ini files.
    The Data Path has no temp files, but 3 .ini/configuration files not actually named, ",ini".
    Which means, I can't rename it, ".iniold", if it's not ".ini" to begin with, right?

14. Chilli

Chilli Pretend Engineer.

It’s an interesting one. In corporate edit land edit machines would traditionally have been disconnected from the internet to protect against naughty freelancers/journos getting up to mischief. But many applications demand an active internet connection these days which is mighty annoying.

I’m fairly old school when it comes to pc security. It’s not plugged into a vulnerable network and only a few select staff have physical access to the machines itself.

Not that this helps the OPs cause at all. Carry on!

15. Dillydipper

Didn't change anything, unfortunately. Looks like the config files just replicated themselves without the ".old" tacked onto them. Still behaves badly.

Looks like I'm going to have to trust the advice of the tech support guy, and uninstall Audition, and see if there's someplace I can get a fresh install online (which is not on Adobe's servers anymore). I already have the 3.0.1 patch on hand, so I think I might just uninstall that separately, then try re-installing just the patch, see if that works. Failing that, I'll uninstall them both...and see how that works out.

16. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

tired to re-install Audition recently. because it was an old version they wouldn't let me register it.
    ridiculous to pay a monthly fee for a program that only gets used occasionally.
    now using Audacity and WavePad Sound Editor.

Grant likes this.
  17. Grant

Uninstall everything, including folders. Just don't forget to back up your .ini file first for 3.o, and make a backup og the settings for the later version. Honestly, I haven't tried it, as I have had all of my Audition software installed since Windows 7. I just installed W10 over that.

If something happens and I am unable to reinstall Adobe again, RX and Sound Forge are my alternatives. Damn you, Adobe! Greedy little bastards!

18. Dillydipper

It just so happens...I just solved 75% of my problem, and at least my wife can get back to work on Audition!

I still have my old "dead" drive from the Crash of 2008, and was able to look around and fine a missing file, cut-n-paste and replace it in my current version! And, wouldn'cha know it...it was the one the Tech Support guy said, wouldn't work, so don't bother trying. In my Date Path (users>my name>AppData>Roaming>Adobe>Audition>3.0), there's two folders: Default Workspaces, and User Workspaces; both have folders for Edit, Multitrack and CD views, and the Edit view folder in my Default Workspaces folder was empty. I shoehorned it in there, and now I have access to my Edit View again without crashing! :goodie:

I still have two problems. One is, I can download the 3.0.1 patch from Adobe, but instead of re-installing it just flashes and goes away...so no 3.0.1 until I figure that one out (wouldn't have lost it in the first place if I hadn't listened to the Tech Support bastard).

And, I still have that nagging "unsaved session" popup whenever I open the program, and I can't get rid of it.
    Still...I'm back to work! :pineapple:

Grant likes this.
  19. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

I downloaded Adobe Audition 3.0 build 7283.0 from their site for free (including the serial number) and it works flawless. I don't need any update.

Maybe your app is broken. Uninstall it completely, restart PC and make a fresh install.

20. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

What I wrote is from my memory of Cool Edit Pro, which I paid for, but it is on a hard drive from several computers and OSes ago, and Adobe was and is NO help to get that reinstalled.
    So I use Sound Forge and Izotope, and Audacity, and others. (And I have paid for the ones you are supposed to pay for.)

This page has a message from an A.. employee with full manual instructions on uninstalling Audition 3 properly and reinstalling (and why a simple uninstall/reinstall won't work, because the activation server is gone), as long as you have the install file and serial number. That last nonsubscription version is no longer available for download.
    Audition 3 and the activation service - Adobe Support Community

21. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I faced a similar situation with regard to Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard, paid, owned, updated and used. After a lot of searching through the Adobe forums, I found a procedure which allowed me to re-install it without any dependence on the Mother Ship. See if you can find similar for Audition.

22. Grant

Well, can you share with us that procedure or provide a link?

23. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

24. Dillydipper

Thanks, Kal. I don't think this will help me at this point, since I've fixed my initial problem for the most part without re-installing an expired, free program. But any advice or wisdom that sidesteps Adobe's own tech support is clearly a "win".

My issue is still how to get the 3.0.1 patch to re-load like it should. The patch download shouldn't even require the code (which I still have on hand), as version 3.0 is already up and running.

The other side-issue, is to get it to forget that "unsaved session" crap it still thinks it sees on startup.

25. Dillydipper

No more helpful posts from Tech Support, but, the nice robots are dying to know if my problem has been fixed yet. They've sent me three different e-mails, because apparently they can't read my posts and figure it out themselves, because they're robots.
    :idea: I know! Maybe I should just open my wallet and start sending them 20 dollars a month for the rest of my life! THAT should solve it, right...? :hurlleft:

Grant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.