Adrian Belew recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by efraley, Aug 9, 2018.

1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Here and Inner Revolution are my two favorites, but also probably the most atypical. The man is a pop genius when he decides to be.

omikron, ytserush and mcchocchoc like this.
  2. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Ohh boy, here you go again ... Anyone ever notice the run ins and comments this guy makes, the completely unsolicited rude comments ? Pipe down smack off .

Say It Right likes this.
  3. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Nice to see lots of love for Inner Revolution. That is such a great album. I saw a couple of shows from that tour, excellent shows. If I remember correctly, Rob Fetters' (The Bears) then band "psychodots" opened the show and then also were Adrian's backing band. I still have a signed t shirt from one of the shows I caught that tour at Club Bene in Sayreville, N.J.
    That was a cool place. A rather small room full of tables and you could have dinner before the show. I saw a lot of cool shows there during the 1980s.

Here's a clip of Adrian playing Inner Revolution for the first time in public, based on his comment. I posted this on youtube a bunch of years ago. I should up the whole thing, lots of chatter and more songs.

BlueTrane, omikron, walrus and 2 others like this.
  4. mcchocchoc

I've checked out a bit of that thread not too long ago. Some excellent stuff! I'll check it all out and at some point post some things. I have a lot of interesting things I've collected over the years.

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  5. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Hey.. that would be great, I bet you do. Look forward to that..

mcchocchoc likes this.
  6. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

See him live ! ! !

7. walrus

Very jealous. I mean, I love 80's Crimson and I like Belew's quirkier stuff, but I definitely would welcome a third album in his Beatle-y power-pop style. I wonder if his interest in such things was kind of fleeting, or if he just doesn't think anyone would be into that kind of stuff at this point.

mcchocchoc likes this.
  8. mcchocchoc

Well, you may be happy to hear that he is currently, when time allows, recording new pop-based material. He's been at it since this past spring. He's been chipping away at 22 songs. Considering he has that many to choose from, I'm expecting a great album! I've also wanted another pop type album from him for a long time now . . . can't wait.

omikron and walrus like this.
  9. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

You should post that link in the Meltdown release announcement thread too.

uzn007 and Maranatha5585 like this.
  10. walrus

That is excellent news. Very much looking forward to it whenever it happens.

omikron likes this.
  11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

They were available on a 2-1 CD some years ago. I see a couple on eBay right now but the label is GOTT and I could have sworn it was on BGO.

Okay a quick check and the GOTT was released in 2004 and the BGO in 2009. Each album was issued in Japan as a Mini-LP in 2002 and are also available but a little pricey.

uzn007 likes this.
  12. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Don't have them all yet, but I've never been disappointed with anything I've stumbled on.

What I'd most like from him at this point is to help take Gizmodrome on a US Tour, preferably in the Northeast.

Grassy Sound likes this.
  13. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I'm really surprised there's not more love for Here in their list of Adrian albums to have? Only
    The Lone Cadaver and Walrus that I can see mentioned it.

Inner Revolution, Acoustic Adrian Belew, Mr. Music Head and The Bears Car Caught Fire for me.

applejam101 likes this.
  14. omikron

What's the source on the new album? I thought he decided he was done with "pop".

15. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Facebook. He posts updates quite often. He just completed the vocals of one track. Needs to complete the others, and just wrote another new song and some music for Flux. He's been quite busy.

"sitting outside early this morning on a perfectly gorgeous day I wrote another song, lyrics and all, called Best Friends.

it’s calm, short, introspective, a bit haunting, so I have put it in the new FLUX pile. (getting to be a big pile)

yesterday I finished recording The Times We Live In and I’m very excited about it.
    it is the first finished song for the new full-length solo record.

also I am learning 10 more Bowie songs for our Iceland/South American tour (we will be doing 3 different shows with varying material ) I am recording new stuff in between whenever possible.

I have all of november/december slated for finishing the recording and mixing of (hopefully) as much new stuff as possible, both for the new solo record and FLUX.

at night I am reading Sound Pictures which is volume II of Kenneth Womack’s biography of George Martin. it’s very inspirational, especially since it begins with the making of my all-time favorite record: Revolver."

pexie and omikron like this.
  16. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Very cool album if you can find an affordable copy. His Side 4 Live is a smoking hot record.

pexie and omikron like this.
  17. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Adrian Belew

May 2 ·
    over the weekend I wrote 2 more lyrics and one more new song (including lyrics), bringing the possible new song count to 22.
    two of the freshly minted songs have sections in 5/4, which may seem an odd time signature for pop songs until you consider the math.
    May 3 ·
    I continue to record on weekdays and I am writing like a madman the rest of the time. yesterday morning I finished a new “blues” song called “Modern Man Blues (part two)”.

May 7 ·
    we now have 18 songs in the early stages of recording.

May 16 ·
    I have had to take this week away from recording while Miles is working out of town. we will begin again this friday.
    meanwhile the creative gears have been ticking along, writing more lyrics and gradually finishing my long list of songs.
    next week as I continue recording I will also start preparing myself to play with the Power Trio at the Iridium in NYC june 6 thru 9. that’s going to be exciting! and some lucky patron will win a new guitar!

August 28 at 12:03 PM ·

yesterday I finished recording all of the parts for The Times We Live In. and I wrote a new short song called Nightmare

omikron likes this.
  18. omikron

Nice. Thank you. Dumped Facebook years ago. Also, I assume Flux is Apple only? Apple is another one I avoid. Crazy me (?)

19. omikron

He's got some live stuff on Amazon Music for sale too. The live era Mr. Music Head concert is a real treat.

20. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Yes, Flux is apple only. But there are 2 CDs of Flux music and another on the way. I have yet to get them.

21. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

And Flux is only for Apple mobile and iPad. Thus I can't get it for my iMac and so I too miss out :cry:.

22. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    uzn007 likes this.
  23. I think his greatest song may be "Summer Shower On a Thirsty Flower" from the Flux collection (either as an app or as appears on the Flux 3 CD available from his website). That is a spectacular song.

Others that come to mind:

Naive Guitar - Lone Rhino
    I Wonder - Twang Bar King
    The Ideal Woman - Twang Bar King
    1967 - Mr. Music Head
    Everything - Inner Revolution
    Dream Life - Here (I hear a little Harry Nilsson in this one)
    Fly - Here
    All Her Love Is Mine - Op Zop Too Wah
    Beat Box Guitar - Side One
    Sunlight - Side Two
    Incompetence & Indifference - Side Three
    Rocket Ship - Flux 1
    Old Fat Cadillac - The Bears Rise & Shine
    Life In a Nutshell - The Bears Car Caught Fire
    Doodle - The Bears Eureka

gojikranz likes this.
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

My reccomendation, Adrian? Less coffee...more tea (decaf, I think)...;)

25. pexie likes this.