Adrian Belew recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by efraley, Aug 9, 2018.

1. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

That is a great list but you need to add:
    Peas - Dust ;)

omikron and Rosskolnikov like this.
  2. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

I may not be remembering correctly, but I thought I once read that the young AB didn't realize guitarists had external gear to create a lot of different sounds, and he would try to emulate them simply by getting his guitar to comply with what he heard. Boy, that would end up with a lot of string bending and scratching and using your hands to wrestle with that thing, then somebody comes along and says, "That's not how they do it." (hahaha)

Scotian and omikron like this.
  3. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Haven't checked them out yet but have been meaning to. Thanks for the link. I loved Copeland in Oysterhead.

ytserush likes this.
  4. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

MR. MUSIC HEAD

THE BEARS

6. They took out a touring drummer for when Copeland fronts the band. It's a five-piece when on the road.

uzn007 and pexie like this.
  7. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

yes amazing song was so happy it finally got on cd with volume 3 kept being disappointed at it's being passed over.

as far as albums I really love young lions start to finish great contributions from bowie along with belews usual excellence push it over the top for me.

8. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Big shoes to fill there. Very cool conceptually though. They seem to play together seamlessly which is impressive in itself. Anyone know who the drummer is?

9. I very much doubt that Copeland can effectively sing the vocal parts and drum at the same time. Some guys can do that, but it's really difficult. I wish they all co-fronted the band. I enjoy the humor in Copeland's vocals, but I'd REALLY like it if all three singers sang about equally.

10. The first two are essential IMHO along with the rest mentioned. I love Adrian's version of "I'm Down".

uzn007, omikron and applejam101 like this.
  11. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I've seen Adrian consistently since 1992. He's a wonderful musician but also a compelling performer and a really very nice guy. In a small way he changed my entire musical life - Oh Daddy was his "hit" song in the late 80s. It was a hit in as much as it got played a few dozen times on VH1. I fell in love with that novelty song and quickly bought Mr. Music Head - which was great, and somewhere (maybe a magazine review) his discography was listed. So I tracked down the other artists.

Because of that silly, slight pop song, I ended up being a massive Frank Zappa fan. Because of Oh Daddy, I became obsessed with Laurie Anderson and King Crimson. This will sound crazy, but it's absolutely true, that exposure to Zappa and Anderson opened my mind to wilder musical ideas which culminated in me getting a composition degree from CalArts. I owe Adrian Belew an awful lot.

Essential
    Lone Rhino
    Twang Bar King
    Young Lions

12. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Mr. Music Head CD had a list of Adrian's discography.

13. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I like the looks that Bowie gives Adrian during this song...

omikron and applejam101 like this.
  14. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

If you enjoy Kark Kent, you'll dig Gizmodrome.

uzn007, pexie and Rooster_Ties like this.
  15. Love that song ("Pretty Pink Rose"), maybe the very first non-LP Bowie track I ever heard (from a promo CD single I nabbed from the college FM station I worked at when it first came out).

AND, I would LOVE for one of those complete Bowie 'Sound + Vision' shows. What I've heard of that tour from YouTube, Belew's playing is a bit more out there, almost akin to where Bowie went with Reeves Gabrels' more noise-oriented style.

But Adrian was a bit noisy too! - on that 1990 tour.

16. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

17. Too bad. Great band. I assume that this also means that The Bears might be dust as well?

omikron and starfieldroad like this.
  18. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

My thoughts exactly.

omikron likes this.
  19. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

live evil and ytserush like this.