Adrian Belew teams up with Jerry Harrison to tour Remain In Light

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Acoustic Warrior, Dec 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jblock

jblock Senior Member

Chris and Tina live in my town. Not really sure they’d be interested in touring. When Adrian played at our local music spot a few years ago, Chris and Tina hung out with Adrian, so as the Wikipedia article points out Adrian seems to have risen above whatever issues were between them.

2. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Hoping they will expand this to include some stand alone shows, my festival days are completely over. But would love to see this!
    And it's been mentioned that they will most likely include other TH tunes in the set.

3. TMegginson

TMegginson Forum Resident

It has the blessing of the rhythm section, so all good.
    I asked Chris Frantz what he thought of this. His response was that he and Tina are keeping busy on their own projects, and he wishes them well.

They're still friends with Jerry, so that makes sense. It's David who prevents a Talking Heads reunion from happening.

marmalade166 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  4. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

They had issues regarding songwriting credits for “Genius of Love”

TMegginson likes this.
  5. TMegginson

The beef with Adrian seems to be bygones. To his credit, he says he was soon on to King Crimson anyway. Reminds me of his comment about not being invited to Bowie's Scary Monsters sessions — he said he was already busy with Talking Heads. I've always loved that guy. He's a little goofy, but not driven by ego.

applejam101, petem1966 and kouzie like this.
  6. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It was sampled on "Fantasy." Adrian Belew got squat from the Tom Tom Club, but got a credit from Mariah Carey! For sure, he made out all right in the end!

kouzie likes this.
  7. Say It Right

Huh? Then how did Fripp find the time time to contribute to Scary Monsters? Meanwhile, Tony Levin was all in with Paul Simon's One Trick Pony and Lennon - Double Fantasy.

8. TMegginson

He always lands on his feet, like a big electric cat...

9. TMegginson

I'm talking about his "glass half full" attitude.

10. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I was also lucky enough to see Talking Heads back in the day (4-piece and expanded). But you do realize there are a lot of people under 50 who didn't, and who are supporting 2 or 3 TH tribute bands here in New England alone (seriously, Google Pink Talking Fish, Start Making Sense, and Talking Dreads [ugh]). I think people will come out for Jerry Harrison and Belew.

11. Say It Right

Yeah, not getting why people think that having Chris & Tina involved somehow "validates" this whole endeavor. It's going to be amazing!

TMegginson likes this.
  12. TMegginson

I'd come out just to see Belew play "The Great Curve."

Mad Dog, applejam101, vince and 8 others like this.
  13. Say It Right

Yes, he was already working solo stuff and his resume was looking rather impressive at that time!

TMegginson likes this.
  14. TMegginson

I'd just love to see Jerry, Tina, & Chris play the album live with Adrian.

15. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I'm a great fan of Tina's playing, but a petite 70-year-old might have trouble pulling off this gig on bass.

TMegginson likes this.
  16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No not just in the studio, it was the big Remain in Light tour that followed which he was on, you must have forgotten.

17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I have alwaaaays wanted these two to get together and do something whatever that may be. Very cool.

notesofachord likes this.
  18. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Of course I realize, and I said they're welcome to try. I was too young to have seen Coltrane, Ayler, The Beatles, you name it. And I've plain missed a lot of stuff too. It doesn't mean you can really bring it back as it was. For me, that's what recordings are for.

19. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

so what. you're ripping the guy for not recalling his exact setup for something he did 40 years ago.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  20. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I saw T.H. in '82 with when Belew and Steve Scales and Bernie Worrell were with them. But no Byrne, no go for me!

21. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

Maybe Belew hasn't forgotten what effects pedals he used on RIL and maybe always had a copy of that magazine in his collection, but was just dropping a big hint of what was going to be announced while reminding us that he was at that time regarded as the "world's premier electric guitarist" by some.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Let it rip!!!

23. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Why you have such a problem with the bassist and drummer of a great band is a mystery for the ages, and one probably better left unsolved for any of us out there who simply enjoy the music.

24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Co-author with all the band members.

He was a session musician on the album in question.

25. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

The implication was that that is all he was. He also toured with the band and may have even been asked to join permanently. Not to mention the rest of his career. So no, Belew is not a “session guy.”

Billy Infinity likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.