SH Spotlight Adventures in Mastering: First album by AMERICA on SACD for Audio Fidelity:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I finally got this. It had been out-of-stock on Amazon for a while. I think it sounds amazing! This is the first of the classic America albums that I have owned. I do have all the Capitol albums reissued by BGO.

HAmmer likes this.
  2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Sordel likes this.
  3. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

4. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I'm glad I could help :)

5. EricSwan

EricSwan Forum Resident

I don't own an SACD player but bought this release anyway to hear the remastered redbook version - if you like America, you need to get this release, it's one of those all-too-rare "lifting the veil from the speaker" discs where there is now life and space in the mix, and the acoustic guitars sound like, well, acoustic guitars. Thanks for polishing this musical gem - here's hoping that Steve tackles "Homecoming"!

ultron9 and billnunan like this.
  6. Rob G

Rob G New Member

Steve:

I so impressed with your work on the America SACD. I'm hearing sounds and percussion incidentals I never heard before. Thanks so much for your work. I love how you brought out the guitars and the percussion incidentals. Three Roses, Donkey Jaw, Here have some exceptional moments. I have only about 80% hearing so the album is a greater treat than you can imagine. I've been reading Geoff Emerick's book on Recording the Beatles and I've recently purchased some of those remasters, like Abbey Road. What a difference!!

With your remastering I feel like you've put us on the "other side" of the microphones and we're sitting in the studio itself. I'm really impressed with your work. My wife plays several instruments in an orchestra. She's equally impressed.

ultron9 likes this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Rob G,

Your post is really superb and well reasoned. Steve's work has a way of bringing out new angles in favorite albums we thought we knew well. Welcome to the forum.

8. Rob G

Rob G New Member

Steve -- a little more from my review: I think this is a Master Work. For two reasons. First, it was a monster hit. Second, this is a master reworking. I fully concur with what you said about the guitars. They're a little raw, but very very fresh and fully in the spirit of America's signature sound. Any one who wants less should pick up one of their other albums. Just like a picture is sometimes "cropped", the guitars on "those albums" are "cropped sounding", almost muffled. I have about everything this group has done, and I knew Dan Peek. I think he would've been thrilled with what you've done. Sadly, he left us a few years ago. A great guy!!!! Fans really need to pick this remastered copy up. And because you captured America so well, it's easy to see how talented they were out of the gate. In comparison to the limited number of great acts on the contest shows, they really deserved the accolades on this one. I'd love to know what you think of Ken Scott's work here. Geoff Emerick recorded their work in George Martin years. Between you, Geoff and Ken it seems like they've done pretty good. Thanks for the Christmas treat!

Rob

9. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

UPS man delivered this on the 24th. Amazing sacd! Thanks Steve!

10. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

This release is a winner! I'd say this is in my top 10 of the AF releases so far and sounds wonderful listening via the SACD layer. Hoping other America titles will follow.

11. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

As others here have said, it would be great to have 'Homecoming', even though the DVD-A is very good!

12. Sounds phenomenal. I have a question regarding "Never Found The Time". There is a dropout in the left channel that i hear around 1:16 and ends at 1:18 This is the first time I've owned this album. I went ahead and listened to the song on MOG and I hear it on their as well (assuming it's from the old WB disc). Tape issue? Is it on the vinyl as well?

Thanks! Again, great release.

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Sometime back on this thread SH said the dropout is on the master (and yes, it is on the green label LP I have).

14. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Love it. Now here's hoping Steve gets his hands on Homecoming, Holiday and America's Greatest Hits!

15. billygtexas

billygtexas Forum Resident

You probably heard the George Martin remixes from the "America's Greatest Hits - History" album instead.

BTW unfortunately most oldies hits and classic rock stations use these remixes instead of the original LP and single versions.

16. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Definitely one of my favorite albums. The guitar work is excellent.

Mesmerizing and transcendent.

An album to be studied for its use of guitars, great and authentic lyrics, and how the sound and lyrics "fit" together in a way unrivaled except for John Lennon at his best in so much of his work with the Beatles.

An absolutely classic album that captured a moment in time.

17. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I was listening to this again last night because it's become a favourite with my wife. Great sound really: such full sound that it sounds like a surround mix.

18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

There's a complexity and variety to the guitar work that really is impressive. With sounds building, various guitar "shapes" intermixing, re-entering the soundscape and then exiting....and then every now and then a sudden break of silence. Which serves to build up the tension until the great sounds suddenly re-emerge.

"Sandman" approaches progressive rock. Great album.

19. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Not trying to be rude but, you can't tell with your own ears if it has good sound quality? If it sounds good too you then that should suffice.
    If it doesn't sound quite right then research other releases. Japan mini lp's I have found are hit or miss.
    There is nothing worse than paying a super high premium [inflated cost of Japan older records or recent cd's] and being disappointed in the sound quality.
    America's first album was pretty good but much maligned by those weenies who call themselves music critics.

20. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I guess the question was asked for those who may have heard a much better version (that makes this person's version in comparison sound inferior/lower quality) to warrant the cost of upgrading via the newest remaster/remix/or new and better format... but since I didn't ask the question, I can't say that for sure, of course.

21. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Like I said I wasn't trying to be rude to anyone. But if I have 2 versions of an lp or cd and you have 2 other versions, how do you or I know which of the 4 is better? It's all a matter of opinion. I guess what I'm trying to say is there are way too many re-releases, re-masters, etc., being released and it makes the record company and artist money but it's a lot of the times a waste of money.
    Look at how groups like the Doors have butchered many of their records by monkeying with what the original sounded like in the first place. And how many times are YES going to milk the "re-master" thing. How many copies of Close to the Edge does one need.
    Sorry about the rant. Have a good day.

22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

You actually are making a valid point. The potential downfalls of messing with an original sound isn't considered enough lately, even if sometimes it's nice to have variety/a re-mix. Thanks.

23. no vinyl release for AMerica?

24. SweetSpotListener

SweetSpotListener New Member

I wonder about the pedigree of the 24bit/192kHz release available at hdtracks, which does NOT have that annoying dropout.

25. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Just listened to this SACD. Not all the guitars on the album have that "steel" but the ones that do really zing! The vocals are lovely. Nice job by Hoffman and Marsh.

ultron9 likes this.