Advice about record stores in LA?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by lschwart, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member Thread Starter

We're going to be out visiting family in LA next week, and I thought I'd ask for some tips on buying used CD's out there. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

L.

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Amoeba on Sunset- unbelievable.
    HAve a good trip.

3. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Hi Louis....

Be sure to check out Rockaway Records. Not the quantity and selection as Amoeba, but the used CDs are priced about a buck cheaper and I never fail to leave the store empty handed whenever I shop there (about once or twice a week). And, if you're in the Pasadena area, there is Poobah Records, another favorite of mine.

Good luck and have a nice trip. :righton:

4. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

If you are looking for CDs only, anything other than Amoeba is a TOTAL waste of your valuable time.

5. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

Ameoba, Amoeba, Amoeba.

Also, I haven't been there for a few years since I moved back to Chicago, but Aron's records on Highland always had a great CD selection when I was around. Ditto Eastside records in Hollywood; they used to have great CDs cheap ($6-$9 a throw); can't remember the exact address, but it was near Vermont..

6. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I always find something at Amoeba Holywood and Rockaway when I visit.

7. sf74

sf74 Active Member

It depends on where in L.A. you go.

On the West side (Hollywood, Westwood, etc) there's
    Arons (on Highland Av)
    Amoeba (on Sunset)
    Rhino (Westwood)
    For strictly new CDs (you might an odd rare import or two) there's also the Virgin Megastore on Sunset and Tower Records on Sunset (further West from Virgin)

In the Glendale/Los Feliz area there's
    Eastside Records (unfortunately, I can't remember what street it's on)
    Rockaway Records

On the East side (Pasadena, and further east--Claremont)
    Poo Bah's (now on Colorado Blvd)
    Rhino (in Claremont--no relation to the Rhino in Westwood)

Those are the "main" LA stores.

If you're in Orange County, there's Vinyl Solution in Huntington Beach. Also, the three Bionic Records. (I've only been to the one in Cypress because a buddy of mine used to work there.)

Also, depending on when you go, there's the Pasadena City College record swap on the first Sunday of each month. And the La Brea Record swap the last Saturday of each month.

whew! how's that for detailed?

8. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member Thread Starter

Terrific! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. My brother-in-law and I are already planning a shopping excursion while the families are otherwise occupied!

Amoeba is certainly on the agenda. We'll have to take time and geography into account for the rest, but it's good to know what the options are!

L.

9. andrewsandoval

andrewsandoval Senior Member

Freakbeat Records on Ventura in the Valley

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Whaaaa?! :confused:

The aforementioned ROCKAWAY is worth a trip. ARONS, just down the street from AMOEBA on Highland, has a very deep used CD section...I find treasures there every month, and priced nice. SOUNDSATIONS on Manchester & Sepulveda, just north of LAX, has the best used CD section outside of AMOEBA. Slam-dunk you'll find something you're looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.