Advice about replacing Ariston q deck turntable with Technics SL-1200MK7EG

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by roxy17, Mar 20, 2023.

1. roxy17

roxy17 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

As I am all ready upgrading my system (new MUSICAL FIDELITY M2SI integrated amplifier) please advice if there is any useful change to also replace my vintage ARISTON Q DECK II (now with this Audio Technica cartridge: VM520EB and VMN20EB stylus). I would like to buy Technics 1200 MK7, but seller insists that this model is only for DJs!
    Kindly asking you for your advice (also please have in mind that I have a large number of 45's records so I am looking for a easy way to change from 45 to 33 (without moving belt - like in Rega Planar) for this category. I mostly like classic rock, 80's New Wave but also classic and electronic music.

2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Technics is not only for DJs, in fact it was originally launched as a Hi Fi deck and became a DJ deck by accident, it should be a noticeable improvement on your Q deck.

patient_ot, roxy17 and wolfyboy3 like this.
  3. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I love the Mk7/M7L. It is quiet and rock solid. You have the 520 cart so there's a sweet upgrade path to the vmn40ml stylus. That's a significant upgrade at some point. One downside on the Mk7 is no hinges on the dustcover. You need to take it off and set it down fyi.

roxy17 and wolfyboy3 like this.
  4. roxy17

thank you for your information Dubmart. I also continue to want Technics mk7 as a new deck.
    Thank also Boltman. Well, as I am going to grant ARISTON Q , I am going for a new cart and stylus. So please for your help about....
    As about dust cover, I think there would be a problem. According to what I know there is no permanent dust cover for MK7

Dubmart likes this.
  5. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

It comes with a nice dust cover. Just has rubber feet instead of hinges.

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

They started that nonsense with the Mk5.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I am not a DJ and have been running an Mk7 for over 2 years now.

8. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

From what I've read about it, some DJ's complained the dustcover hinges did work with their set ups and they would have to remove them.

9. roxy17

so what is your experience until now. Have heard that MK give a rather ''tough'' sound?!

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Not sure what you mean by that. The motor is inaudible and the rest of the table doesn't really add anything weird to the sound. What "sound" you get will be determined by the cartridge, phono preamp, speakers, etc. as well as the records you are playing.

roxy17 and Wngnt90 like this.
  11. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

If used by a DJ, it’s a DJ deck.
    If used by a HiFi enthusiast, it’s a HiFi deck.

Application defines an object; not the other way around.

Dubmart and patient_ot like this.
  12. roxy17

So I am positive about MK7. What about cartridge (to combine electronic, classic music and rock also!). I have read about Nagaoka MP-110H and Audio Technica also . There was a talk about (in one of many on stevehoffam.tv forum) where Audio Techinca seems to be very satisfy for users. Have also to add that my records (almost 800) have been bought before 1990, so there is a little dust etc....

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The best budget choice is the AT VM95ML, my niece uses one on a Technics SL1200 MkII, I use one on a Roksan Xerxes 10, superb value and excellent sound, also works well with older vinyl right back to the 1950s, the only potential issue is you need to keep the total capacitance down else it sounds bright rather than neutral, I don't know the specs on the phono section in your amp so am unable to advise if it's a good match.

roxy17 likes this.
  14. roxy17

Thank you for your answer, yes I think this is the cartridge (AT VM95ml). I have a Rega Fono Mini A2D-V2 (separate phono pre-amplifier) with the following technical specifications:
    • Input sensitivity: 5mV for 500mV output
    • Input loading: 47k + 100pF
    • Maximum input level: 70mV @ 1kHz
    • Output Impedance: 100 Ohms
    • Signal to noise ratio: 78dBA ref 5mV
    • Power requirements: 24VAC 85mA
    • Input for full scale digital output: 7.5mV

Boltman92124 likes this.
  15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

100pF capacitance in the phono stage should be absolutely fine for the AT, a good match.

roxy17 and patient_ot like this.
  16. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Enjoy the Mk7/95ml combo! With your older "dusty" records, try to get them a cleaning!

roxy17 likes this.