Advice asked about Quad equipment

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Baba O'Riley, Aug 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member Thread Starter

I'm interested in the folowing Quad equipment:

99POW (stereo power amplifier)
    99CD-P (cd-player-pre amplifier)

with loudspeakers:
    11L or 12L from Quad.

Is this a good system?
    Any suggestions for different loudspeakers with this system, price: max 350 a piece.
    Any suggestions/recommendations for cables?
    Can I play DualDiscs on this cd-player?

Thanks a lot!

2. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

It's a very nice system. I've heard it, and it's great value for the money. The speakers are excellent. I wouldn't swap them for anything else. Don't know about the DualDisc question.

3. mambo

mambo New Member

The Quad stuff works extremely well with its own-brand speakers. Those 11L's with their piano finish are super value for money

4. peter

peter Senior Member

I have been a QUAD guy since 1978 when I purchased my first serious system at The Sound Room in Vancouver: 405 amp., 33 preamp and FM3 tuner. I still use the tuner and it sounds wonderful. The 33 is still in the rare wood sleeve I had the sense to buy, which also houses the FM3 tuner. I don't use the 33, but it looks nice in the wood sleeve.

I also use a QUAD 606 amp in my main system hooked up to a QUAD 44 preamp of 1988/89 vintage. The 44 is a better preamp. than the 34 so I bought a used 44 in 1995 rather than a new 34. Check out ebay auctions for all the activity a 44 generates.

I have never had any of the 99 series components, but I remmeber short listing them when I was researching my 1995 purchases. They were incredibly well-reviewed at the time. I believe they will give you years of listening pleasure.

The 11L and 12L speakers I have both auditioned and the only reason I passed on these was the fact that they are no longer British-made. I am a stickler for that sort of thing.

Once you go QUAD, it will be hard to listen to anything else.

I even hunted down another FM3 tuner from a guy in Santa Barbara for the upstairs system! Love it.

5. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member Thread Starter

Looking now to:
    quad 909
    cd-p
    Epos 12.2 speakers

comments?

6. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

I think I like the Quads better than Epos, although there isn't that big of a gap between the two. At this point, you really need to listen for yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.