Advice needed on buying a box set on Discogs

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by kattz, Aug 16, 2022.

1. kattz

kattz Active Member Thread Starter

I asked yesterday, but the post was deleted before I could read the responses. Evidently I asked in the wrong forum.

Regardless, there is a rare box set that I am considering on Discogs. So far, Discogs has been a very good place to purchase vinyl for me.

One set is "FROM A $MILLION+ MUSEUM-QUALITY COLLECTION! Opened, Unplayed. Outer Box NM++. ALL VINYL, INNER SLEEVES AND CONTENTS MINT".

The second set is "SEALED UNOPENED in original shrink wrap. 5LP Box Set. Black Slash through Bar Code. The shrink wrap has some rips on the back. It is wavy and it has a crease."

Both are the same exact price.

Any thoughts on this? I can only buy once.

Thanks.

Kev

2. BlueBirdie

BlueBirdie Active Member

I would consider two things:

1) both are described in stunning unplayed condition, but one is sealed, and that could mean some surprise when you open it

2) sellers' feedback. Not only the percentage, which needs to be 100% or very close, you need to read through them and figure out which one gives the better service, communication, packaging etc.

If feedback is okay and you want the set to play it, I'd go for the first

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    Lownotes and kattz like this.
  3. kattz

The seller rating on the first one is 99.7% over 5,600 sales. And they just accepted my offer of 10% less... and so there it is! Thanks for the assist!

Kev

kevinkasson and Lownotes like this.
  4. BlueBirdie

BlueBirdie Active Member

Congratulations!

5. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

What'd you buy?

6. kattz

Ahh, yes. The "Cheap Xmas" Donald Fagen box set. Seller knocked off an additional 10$ - $425, no tax, free shipping. I can go to my grave now knowing that I got this set.

Now I need to part with my new copies of Sunken Condos and Morph the Cat.

Lownotes and kevinkasson like this.
  7. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I usually would go with the second one… I find that a lot of the time, if a seller’s description or title of their listing is more than just a normal, regular capitalization description of the condition, they tend to be more of a salesman and less of an accurate grader. I hope it works out and it shows up as described, I’m just speaking from past experiences. Often times “L@@K MINT MINUS MINUS VERY RARE FIRST PRESSING NEVER PLAYED ************” usually turns out to be worse condition than “Nice copy, opened and shelved. Never played”.

PhysicalMedia likes this.
  8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I look at seller's return policy on defective items, the distance the seller is from the buyer, and other factors no one is mentioning. But I'll keep them to myself since it's now over and done.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  9. PhysicalMedia

PhysicalMedia Active Member

Wow--never thought about it, but you are absolutely correct. But I do like to see important/relevant facts in the listing, above and beyond "VG" and so forth...but yeah, this can easily devolve into seller hype.

10. BlueBirdie

BlueBirdie Active Member

Agreed, especially the MINT MINUS MINUS part should ring a bell

But, in OP's case I see nothing to be worried about, just a bit of useless hype

11. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Let us know how it turns out. The “million$ museum quality “ seller had some I was interested in purchasing