Advice on…a Chair

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AnthonyCM, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

I have a Herman Miller Eames, great chair but I don't listen in it, too low, reclined, and the leather absorbs. I don't like anything behind my head.

These are nice, a replica. I don't have one but may try one.
    Barcelona Chair Various Colors & Grades

[​IMG]

2. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Most of the knock-offs are not well made. Even when they were being sold in the U.S. (before both Knoll and Herman Miller/Eames started enforcing their rights in the States), the quality (compared to a real one) wasn't there. Of course, there is a significant price difference. For what it's worth, the Barcelona isn't terribly comfy, and isn't easy to get out of once seated. I do like the Eames Lounge chair and kept a pair when I sold off a lot of mid-century modern furniture I had accumulated before I moved.
    You can, with a "decorator discount" typically get 40% off retail, so the very high prices of the real ones aren't quite as bad in reality, but that may have changed.

Like everything else, I think seating is a very personal thing, both in terms of comfort as well as aesthetics.
    Often, the used ones on offer by consignment and design shops are even more expensive than new ones!

Ingenieur likes this.
  3. recap200

recap200 Forum Resident

Yup, and the Womb Chair is a very comfy chair. I'd take it any day over the Eames Lounge Chair. Big bucks for the authentic chair and ottoman, tho.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  4. AL01

AL01 Eh?

Ah, the Barcelona Chair.

If you have the means, get yourself a genuine one, as it is an architectural icon designed by the (late) great Ludwig Mies van der Rohe nearly a century ago (!).

...And due to its provenance, something like resale value should not be much of a concern to someone who is interested in such a fine piece of furniture, (and no, I don't have one...)

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Like sitting up against a brick wall...;) No warmth whatsoever...

longdist01 and Otlset like this.
  6. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

If comfort is the name of the game it’s not going to beat the womb or Eames lounge, though none of these are very space conscious and will take up a larger footprint than a recliner.

AL01 likes this.
  7. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I have Ekornes Stressless for one of my systems, Ikea Poang in leather for the other. Both are very comfortable, but Stressless more so due to the adaptable reclining feature. Stressless also has finer quality leather and arguably looks better overall. Stressless also cost 5 times more than the Poang.

I am very happy with both and have no desire to change anything.

8. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

I'll recommend a beanbag type of chair. Portability is the key. You want to sit in the sweet spot, but a permanent chair in the middle of the room, away from all of the walls, usually doesn't cut it.

Signed DG likes this.
  9. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

@AnthonyCM...double check that the back of the chair is not removable. On my LA-Z Boy "Big Boy" recliner the back lifts out to move it around.

mark_j and AnthonyCM like this.
  10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

currently using an Ikea loveseat, sitting in the middle. lots of sprawl room and for the occasional visit.

[​IMG]

longdist01, Leo Tos and Ingenieur like this.
  11. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Yeah to fancy it up you can grab your DCC and prized MOFI and AP discs showing for
    the ends

longdist01 likes this.
  12. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

FWIW - for those considering the Ekornes Stressless, a local furniture store is a dealer and has probably every model on display. I recently sat in everyone and everyone has a different feel; different support (and some have three sizes). The most expensive such as the Magic are very plush - you sink into the chair. Others not as much. Thankfully :laugh: the model I liked the best (and bought) was not the most expensive and was probably the firmest of all - the Admiral . The seat height was perfect; naturally aligning my ears with the tweeters, and although high back, in the listening position my ears are a good distance from the back. Ergonomically, you will be prying the chair from my dead body - for me it is very comfortable & supportive. Yes, you pay for the quality, the European manufacture and a 10-yr frame warranty.

13. woody

woody Forum Resident

The Barcelona is way too short and uncomfortable for a listening chair or loveseat. I made that mistake.

AL01, Uglyversal and FuzzyNightmares like this.
  14. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I don't know which one is more uncomfortable but this one will make your music sound better.

[​IMG]

longdist01, April Snow and timind like this.
  15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yeah, I can see how that will support your shoulders and lower neck, and still leave your ears unencumbered from behind...:agree:
    Not a bundle of comfort under the forearms during long sitting sessions, though.

timind likes this.
  16. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I love Ekornes chairs and they do very much all sit a little different amount the varying models. Oddly enough, I find the least expensive model to be one of the most comfortable (don't remember the exact model name). Their Large size is also higher off the ground so for us taller people, it makes it a bit nicer getting in/out of.

M1ke2345 likes this.
  17. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I use an Eames replica and love it but if I was looking for a chair for a headphones based setup I’d go with what others have mentioned, an Ekornes Stressless recliner. They’re less bulky than the Eames for this narrow space, super comfortable, built very well and the high headrest isn’t an issue with headphones.

longdist01 likes this.
  18. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I have owned several of these over a 25 year period and have loved each and everyone. Most of the changes I made were for color/design reasons in new homes not because they wore out. They are very durable and with a little care look like new for years.

dennis the menace likes this.
  19. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Another very happy Stressless user....found a 6 month old one rarely used for a steal.
    Around here they don't come up often used but you never know.

[​IMG]

M1ke2345, AL01 and mwheelerk like this.
  20. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I don't have any problems with high back and headphone listening, but, I suppose that is something to at least consider. Actually, I don't have issues with high back adversely affecting sound quality when listening to speakers. I find the Stressless chairs to be re really comfortable as well as the Eames chair mentioned here. But, the Eames is quite difficult to get up and out of when listening is done. Another super comfortable chair is the Striad chair (a Herman Miller design).

21. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

Now here's a guy who can appreciate a great soundstage!

longdist01 and LakeMountain like this.
  22. Baraban0307$&

Baraban0307$& New Member

I prefer to sit in an orthopedic chair. This is because I have spinal problems, and my feet always hurt.

23. jbilliam8

jbilliam8 Active Member

I like my Relaxzen 8 Motor Recliner, that's amazing! Really comfy and not huge. These are great massage chair, which is easy to control with a remote. What is more, it's a perfect bed for my cat, you can see it in the photo :LOL: insert photo
    [​IMG]

jonwoody likes this.
  24. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I bought the new Ikea Havberg chair two months ago and I can recommend it.

I was attracted by the simple modern design and the color

It's very comfortable and solid. The seating position is rather low. I prefer no armrests. I don't have the ottoman, my feet rest on a low table in front of me.

IKEA

[​IMG]

wgb113 likes this.
  25. Suddenly This Overview

Suddenly This Overview Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The Womb Chair was what Georgia O'Keeffe used for listening to HiFi.

Jerry James, izeek and recap200 like this.