Aerosmith Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, May 1, 2022.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member Thread Starter

Just a little from Wikipedia since the general band post is huge. Hopefully the thread will get some interest.

Aerosmith
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aerosmith
    [​IMG]
    Aerosmith performing in 2019
    Background information
    Origin
    Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
    Genres
    Years active 1970–present[1]
    Labels
    Associated acts
    Website aerosmith.com
    Members
    Past members
    Aerosmith is an American rock band formed in Boston in 1970.[2] The group consists of Steven Tyler (lead vocals), Joe Perry (guitar), Tom Hamilton (bass), Joey Kramer (drums) and Brad Whitford (guitar). Their style, which is rooted in blues-based hard rock,[3][4] has also incorporated elements of pop rock,[5] heavy metal,[3] glam metal,[6][7][8][9] and rhythm and blues,[10] and has inspired many subsequent rock artists.[11] They are sometimes referred to as "the Bad Boys from Boston"[12] and "America's Greatest Rock and Roll Band".[13][14][15][16] The primary songwriting team of Tyler and Perry is often known as the "Toxic Twins".

Perry and Hamilton, originally in a band together called the Jam Band, met up with Tyler, Kramer, and guitarist Ray Tabano, and formed Aerosmith; in 1971, Tabano was replaced by Whitford. They released a string of multi-platinum albums starting with their eponymous debut in 1973, followed by Get Your Wings in 1974.[17] The band broke into the mainstream with Toys in the Attic (1975) and Rocks (1976).[18] Draw the Line and Night in the Ruts followed in 1977 and 1979. Throughout the 1970s, the band toured extensively and charted a dozen Hot 100 singles, including their first Top 40 hit "Sweet Emotion" and the Top 10 hits "Dream On" and "Walk This Way". By the end of the decade, they were among the most popular hard rock bands in the world and developed a following of fans, often referred to as the "Blue Army".[19] Drug addiction and internal conflict led to the departures of Perry and Whitford in 1979 and 1981.[4] The band did not fare well and the album Rock in a Hard Place (1982) failed to match previous successes.

Perry and Whitford returned to Aerosmith in 1984. After a comeback tour, they recorded Done with Mirrors (1985), which did not meet commercial expectations. It was not until a 1986 collaboration with rap group Run–D.M.C. on a remake of "Walk This Way", and the 1987 multi-platinum release, Permanent Vacation, that they regained their previous level of popularity.[20] In the late 1980s and 1990s, the band won numerous awards for music from the multi-platinum albums Pump (1989), Get a Grip (1993), and Nine Lives (1997), while they embarked on their most extensive concert tours to date. Their biggest hits during this period included "Dude (Looks Like a Lady)", "Angel", "Rag Doll", "Love in an Elevator", "Janie's Got a Gun", "What it Takes", "Livin' on the Edge", "Cryin'", and "Crazy". The band also filmed popular music videos and made notable appearances in television, film, and video games. In 1998, they achieved their first number-one hit with "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" from Armageddon's soundtrack and the following year, their roller coaster attraction opened at Walt Disney World. Their comeback has been described as one of the most remarkable and spectacular in rock history.[3][4] Additional albums Just Push Play (which included the hit "Jaded"), Honkin' on Bobo (a collection of blues covers), and Music from Another Dimension! followed in 2001, 2004, and 2012. In 2008, they released Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, which is considered to be the best-selling band-centric video game. After five decades, the band continues to tour and record music. Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, they had an ongoing concert residency in Las Vegas.

Aerosmith is the best-selling American hard rock band of all time, having sold more than 150 million records worldwide, including over 85 million records in the United States.[21][22] With 25 gold, 18 platinum, and 12 multi-platinum albums, they hold the record for the most total certifications by an American group and are tied for the most multi-platinum albums by an American group. They have achieved twenty-one Top 40 hits on the US Hot 100, nine number-one Mainstream Rock hits, four Grammy Awards, six American Music Awards, and ten MTV Video Music Awards. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001, and were ranked number 57 and 30, respectively, on Rolling Stone's and VH1's lists of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.[23] In 2013, Tyler and Perry were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, and in 2020, the band received the MusiCares Person of the Year award.

2. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Thanks for starting this album by album thread, Bear! I will try and follow and comment accordingly per the thread flow. I have a special love of the debut album. Will comment when necessary, thanks!

3. Rose River Bear

Great to see some interest.

4. Rose River Bear

5. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Love their debut too. I’m in my on this!

6. Rose River Bear

Great! Up tomorrow.

[​IMG]

7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

this will be interesting

8. Rose River Bear

Hope you can add some posts.

9. Rose River Bear

Aerosmith (album)
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Aerosmith
    [​IMG]
    Released January 5, 1973
    Recorded October 1972
    Studio Intermedia, Boston, Massachusetts
    Alternative cover
    [​IMG]

Aerosmith is the eponymous debut studio album by American rock band Aerosmith, released on January 5, 1973, by Columbia Records. "Dream On", originally released as a single in 1973, became an American top ten hit when re-released in December 1975. The album peaked at number 21 on the US Billboard 200 album chart in 1976.

After entering a partnership with Frank Connelly, David Krebs and Steve Leber invited members of two record labelsAtlantic Records and Columbia Records – to view an Aerosmith concert at Max's Kansas City. Clive Davis, the president of Columbia, was impressed with the band and Aerosmith signed with Columbia in the summer of 1972.

Although lead singer Steven Tyler had been in several previous groups, most of the band members had never been in a studio before. The band was heavily influenced by many of the British blues/rock bands of the 1960s, including the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Yardbirds, and Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.

Track listing
    All tracks are written by Steven Tyler, except where noted.

Side one
    No. Title Writer(s) Length
    "Make It" 3:41
    2. "Somebody" Tyler, Steven Emspack 3:45
    3. "Dream On" 4:28
    4. "One Way Street" 7:00

Side two
    No. Title Writer(s) Length
    "Mama Kin" 4:25
    6. "Write Me a Letter" 4:11
    7. "Movin' Out" Tyler, Joe Perry 5:03
    8. "Walkin' the Dog" Rufus Thomas 3:12

Personnel

Aerosmith
    Additional musicians
    • David Woodford – saxophone on "Mama Kin" and "Write Me a Letter"

10. Rose River Bear

[​IMG]

Make It
    Great lyrics for a song that may be the first many fans will hear. The intro is a cool descending power pop chord riff with a gallop like tail. The verse riff is a heavy descending line. The chorus ascends and it fits the lyrics. Steven sounds great and rough edged. The bridge is a fine contrast. The break is based on a heavy pull-off riff. Tough sounding borrowed chords give it some edge. Lots of influences but still uniquely Aerosmith. Super opener. 8/10

Somebody
    Opens with a boogie shuffle and an ascending tail. The verse goes into blues territory. Some more borrowed chords flip it on its head and keeps it away from being a straight blues. The break has Steven mimicking Joe’s guitar line. The verse returns and the song stays with the plan and has a retransition that is smartly done leading to the end. 7/10

Dream On
    The intro Is a beauty with minor based intervals and droning notes. A gigantic hooky riff that immediately impressed me. Steven’s vocals really hit the mark and have no trace of pretentiousness. The chorus is a fairly standard three chord riff that gets a makeover later. The verse returns and the chorus follows and more instruments get added to the mix. A break follows with a variation on the verse chords. The chorus comes roaring back and then goes through a beautiful hard-hitting variation with the song’s title repeated until Steven lets go with an impassioned howl. Killer song in every way. 10/10

One Way Street
    A blues tune that opens with a cool intro and the verse has a terrific chromatic descending line. The chorus is a winner with Who like chords. The second verse gets a little sparser to mix things up. Rolling Stone’s influence in the break. Another fine song. 7/10

Mama Kin
    A gnarly blues riff for the intro. The next riff that follows is brilliant and gets used later. The verse uses the intro riff and boogies. The next section uses the second riff heard in the intro. Hard to tell what to name this section at this point in the song. The verse melody follows the riff closely and it works. The band uses dynamics just right and the rhythm section comes in later. At 2:30 the chorus finally makes its entrance. Holding it back really adds to the excitement. The break is short, and the verse returns with what we now know is the pre chorus and the chorus follows. Skillful use of the song sections. 9/10

Write Me A Letter
    Another fine blues-based song from the boys. This one is closer to trad blues but still has twists and turns to make it work and sound unique. The harmonica works for me, and Steven is introduced as a decent player. 7/10

Movin’ Out
    The first Tyler/Perry tune. Delta blues influenced with a foot stomping rhythm. Proof that the guys can take the blues and turn it into something that is unique to their style. 8/10

Walkin’ The Dog
    A decent cover of this blues tune with some harder edge to it than the original. An almost Led Zeppelin like intro throws you for a loop. The song gets into more familiar blues territory later. A decent closer IMO. 7/10

A helluva debut if you ask me. Some rough edges with the riffs at times but enough interesting chord, lyric, and melodic uniqueness to make it stand out. Steven's voice is down and dirty on the album compared to later releases. The influences are there of which the Rolling Stones is the top of the list, but I hear some Led Zeppelin and The Who as well. The guitar solos are kept close to the blues compared to later albums when the guy’s melodic side will show up as well. Overall, a little rough around the edges but still enough depth that lets you know they will not be a one hit wonder. At least that is what I thought when I first heard the album back when it was released. Creative use of the standard pop song sections as well that gives a glimpse of the songwriting depth.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  11. Rose River Bear

12. Rose River Bear

Make It

William Smart and ArpMoog like this.
  13. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

It’s a good debut album but things pick on Get Your Wings. I’m most familiar with “Dream On” and “Mama Kin” from their Greatest Hits; some of these other songs I haven’t heard in a while.

If anyone is curious where to find the original single edit of “Dream On,” look for Sony’s Pop Music: The Modern Era 1976-1999. As far as I know, this is the only place to find on CD.

14. Rose River Bear

Thanks for that info. I had wondered about where to find that in the past and gave up looking for it.

15. Rose River Bear

16. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

The debut is excellent....

I had no idea who Aerosmith were before Run DMC did Walk This Way...
    I'm not sure they got played in Australia... or I just never heard them.
    Later again I bought the Box Of Fire, and I still enjoy the Pandoras Box set as well.
    Sadly Box Of Fire stayed in Oz.

A really good debut album.
    The two big stand outs for me.
    Mama Kin is just a great raunchy rocker, that I could listen to anytime.

Dream On is obviously a classic, and it was funny reading about Tyler driving them nuts with this thing he kept playing.
    Funnily enough some of the later versions and vocals even surpass this version for me.

17. Rose River Bear

Thanks for commenting. What do you mean by Box of Fire stayed in Oz?

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

When I moved From Australia to the US, I had to sacrifice a ton of music... it was just too difficult and expensive to ship it all

19. Rose River Bear

When I moved from the US to Canada just over the border, the movers asked me if I owned a record store. o_O

20. Rose River Bear

21. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Great album, slightly undercooked in spots, but that's what makes it great at the same time. Major Barbara was a track that was left off the album in favor of "Walkin' The Dig" :)

HotHere, Sean, Rockin' Robby and 6 others like this.
  22. Rose River Bear

Good point. I remember that was on my original album version. They later fixed it with the reissue IIRC.

23. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It’s interesting that Steven used a “fake” voice for every track except Dream On. Not that many singers don’t change their voices or add an affectation when singing but they usually stick with it whereas Steven did it for one album and then dropped it. I believe he referred to it as a blues voice like Kermit the frog….a lot of white blues guys did that voice- for example John Mayall often did it.

24. Rose River Bear

I forgot to mention that description is spot on how I feel about the album. Some song sections are kind of predictable and clumsy sounding but there is enough surprises to keep it interesting for most of the time. Of course Dream On was the big hook. Tyler made the band with that one. Joe and the rest of the band would really add to the songwriting greatness later on.

25. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Well-Known Member

Aerosmith was the first band I really got into, in terms of buying up their entire catalog. I was 13 and it was the Pump era. It was a a few months before I got a CD player, so I first put my Aerosmith collection together on cassette. The cassettes usually had a different running order than the LPs and CDs, so there was a bit of an adjustment for me when I got the Box of Fire 4 or 5 years later. With the first album, the only difference is that Walking the Dog and Dream On are swapped, but having Dream On as the album closer makes quite a difference in the listening experience.

I've always really liked the debut. Rough and raw, which is what I like about Aerosmith. The songwriting would get better, but the attitude is there from the start. Dream On is an all-time classic. Walking the Dog, Mama Kin and Movin' Out were favorites of mine from the start. Write Me is a song that didn't make much of an impression on me early on but I later totally fell in love with that track. It's got a really nice groove.

There's not a bad track on the album for me, although they would steadily improve over the next three albums. I still like to give it a listen from time to time. This was a band that had a pretty good sense of their identity right from the beginning.

Last edited: May 2, 2022