Aerosmith Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, May 1, 2022.

1. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

I always enjoyed this R.E.M. cover. Dead Letter Office is a fun collection, some VU/Lou Reed covers. Other stuff too that I'm not specifically familiar with.

Dodoz, van1, wavethatflag and 3 others like this.
  2. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Wow! New respect for REM after hearing that, cool version :righton:.

On a side note, finally received my cd of ‘1971: The Road Starts Hear’. Love it! Great performances and a fair bit different to what they ended up being when properly recorded. Jewel case :) and cool pics and liner notes. Really well done :righton:.

3. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I had never heard that phrase before. Love it. I will now daydream about listening to yacht rock on my way to my castle rock.

That's pretty much me - Gen X, had MTV beat "Dude Looks Like a Lady" into my brain as a teen (I can still see Tyler in those fishnet tights humping the mic in the video) then sought out the older stuff. There are plenty of songs I like on PV and Pump so I'll be sticking around till at least then.

But as a colleague of mine once put it, "Friends don't let friends walk around with their fly down." Though I guess that may not apply to Tyler and company. But still, I plan on commenting where I think (just my opinion!) their albums have weak spots.

4. PhR

PhR Forum Resident

When revisiting "The Hand That Feeds" today the ascending and descending chromatic line towards the end of the song reminded me of Pink Floyd's "Echoes"!
    And there's something similar in the overall feel of the song compared to Cheap Trick's "Gonna Raise Hell", not just the drum beat.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

… and it reminds me of … “Draw the Line” … :laugh:

PhR likes this.
  6. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

If that's Spinal Tap, what is this?

Rose River Bear and Purple Jim like this.
  7. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

I can’t take credit … I read it years ago in reference to Rainbow’s first album (released 1975) in an article which credited that record as “inventing” castle rock, but yes, it’s a good term for the Dungeons & Dragons stuff Dio purveyed.

Now, this may be controversial to Rainbow fans, but I think Tyler “does” castle rock as well, perhaps better, on “Kings and Queens” than Dio in general.

I’m not sure Tyler’s lyrics here are necessarily much less silly, but they might just be a bit more nuanced. More importantly, Tyler’s vocal delivery seems to inhabit the moment, rather than narrating it the way Dio does. It’s less theatrical, less performative, and therefore connects in a different and more convincing way for me.

An aside … perhaps the only moment on this thread that these two bands will be compared.

Tim S, bjlefebvre and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

I first heard Aerosmith from the Run DMC version of “Walk This Way.” Then came Permanent Vacation. I liked that stuff, but knew nothing about their history or what had come before. Guns N’ Roses led me to track down the first album, and “Rocks.” From there, I was hooked on the 70s stuff. When the kids in my high school were into Aerosmith, they were most likely talking about a totally different set of albums from the ones I was listening to constantly on my Walkman cassettes. I loved Pump, but Get a Grip was where I got off the bus. I think “Livin’ on the Edge” was released as a single before the album was available. I liked that one, and played it a lot. I remember buying the album on release day, and the feeling of “what happened?” was pretty immediate. It was like the drop off that I perceived from Achtung Baby to Zooropa.

9. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Never heard this before - decent effort.

Sure, the guitars and drums don’t quite slalom fast and slippery in that unique Aerosmith way, and the “Toooys” in the chorus is too pronounced, but it rocks nicely enough.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  10. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

For my part, I intend to be respectful and am hoping to maybe find more value than previously.
    The later stuff has it's fans, and a lot of them. I'm sure we'll be missing something without your input..I own almost all those albums, with a CD on order of the last album to complete the collection...

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  11. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

Yup to all of that.

Matthew Tate and munjeet like this.
  12. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Hope I didn't come off as a drama queen with my previous post - anyway I'm gonna hang in there and try and ignore the inevitable Aerosmith were only goof for 4 albums posts and how "cheesy" they are now - a term that really irks me!!

As for Draw The Line I got onboard the Aerosmith train when Rocks was the current album and it remains my favorite to this day so the anticipation for DTL was huge. I must admit I was not as instantly enthralled with DTL but as time went on I began to rate it highly. The title track smokes as does the great cover of Milk Cow Blues. I love Kings And Queens and The Hand That Feeds and along with the funky Sight For Sore Eyes it makes for a very solid side 2.

The remaining tracks are a little lesser in my opinion. I Wanna Know Why is decent but not spectacular as are Get It Up and Critical Mass. Having said that if I'm in the right mood Critical Mass can really shine then other days it seems to drag for me. Bright Light Fright was the first track where Mr Perry took full lead and it's not much to be honest. I love Joe as a player but vocals aren't really his forte!!

Overall I'd give Draw The Line a 8/10...8.5 on those days when I'm digging Critical Mass!

13. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member Thread Starter

Man I forgot about that.

14. Rose River Bear

Great posts everyone!
    Looks like we are ready to move on to the next album.

John Fell likes this.
  15. Rose River Bear

I never heard it as Spinal Tap like as well. Now if they had dressed up with flowing robes and crowns.......:cool:
    [​IMG]

Gus Tomato and Doomster like this.
  16. Rose River Bear

[​IMG]

Track listing
    Side one
    No. Title Writer(s) Length
    "Back in the Saddle" (Indianapolis, IN, July 4, 1977) Steven Tyler, Joe Perry 4:25
    2. "Sweet Emotion" (Chicago, IL, March 23, 1978) Tyler, Tom Hamilton 4:42
    3. "Lord of the Thighs" (Chicago, IL, March 23, 1978) Tyler 7:18
    4. "Toys in the Attic" (Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA, March 28, 1978) Tyler, Perry 3:45
    Side two
    "Last Child" (The Paradise Club, Boston, MA, August 9, 1978) Tyler, Brad Whitford 3:14
    6. "Come Together" (The Wherehouse, Waltham, MA, August 21, 1978) John Lennon, Paul McCartney 4:51
    7. "Walk This Way" (Detroit, MI, April 2, 1978) Tyler, Perry 3:46
    8. "Sick as a Dog" (Indianapolis, IN, July 4, 1977) Tyler, Hamilton 4:42
    Side three
    "Dream On" (Louisville, KY, July 3, 1977) Tyler 4:31
    2. "Chip Away the Stone" (Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica, CA, April 8, 1978) Richard Supa 4:12
    3. "Sight for Sore Eyes" (Columbus, OH, March 24, 1978) Tyler, Perry, Jack Douglas, David Johansen 3:18
    4. "Mama Kin" (Indianapolis, IN, July 4, 1977) Tyler 3:43
    5. "S.O.S. (Too Bad)" (Indianapolis, IN, July 4, 1977) Tyler 2:46
    Side four
    "I Ain't Got You" (Paul's Mall, Boston, MA, April 23, 1973; WBCN-FM radio simulcast) Calvin Carter[7] 3:57
    7. "Mother Popcorn" / "Draw the Line [*]" (Paul's Mall, Boston, MA, April 23, 1973; WBCN-FM radio simulcast /
    Tower Theater, Upper Darby, Philadelphia, PA, March 26, 1978) James Brown, Pee Wee Ellis / Tyler, Perry 11:35
    8. "Train Kept A-Rollin'" / "Strangers in the Night" (Detroit, MI, April 2, 1978) Tiny Bradshaw, Howard Kay, Lois Mann / Bert Kaempfert, Charlie Singleton, Eddie Snyder 4:51
    [*] "Draw the Line" is featured as a hidden track at the end of "Mother Popcorn"

Personnel
    Aerosmith
    Additional musicians
    • Mark Radice – keyboards, backing vocals[8]
    • David Woodford – saxophone on "Mother Popcorn"
    Production
    • Jack Douglas – producer, engineer
    • David Krebs, Steve Leber – executive producers, management
    • Jay Messina, Lee DeCarlo – engineers
    • Julie Last, Rod O'Brien, Sam Ginsburg – assistant engineers
    • David Hewitt – Record Plant Mobile operator (New York)
    • Chris Stone – Record Plant Mobile operator (Los Angeles)
    • George Marino – mastering at Sterling Sound, New York
    • John Kosh – art direction, design
    • Jimmy Ienner Jr., Barry Levine, Ron Pownall, Aaron Rapoport, Steve Smith – photography

wavethatflag, Efus, BDC and 1 other person like this.
  17. Rose River Bear

[​IMG]

Live Bootleg

Some highlights/criticisms.

Back In the Saddle
    Great guitar interplay from Joe and Brad. Sometimes in unison. Excellent opener. Steven is in fine voice.

Sweet Emotion
    A fine live version of this fantastic song. Tom is really tight.

Lord of the Thighs
    Cool use of dynamics with a slightly different arrangement. The trade offs between Joe and Brad at the end are terrific.

Toys in the Attic
    High energy version. Joey is a madman along with Tom. Steve…well he sounds a little tipsy to me.

Last Child
    Funky to the hilt. Joe plays cellophane like funk slash chords.

Come Together
    Another song with outstanding interplay between Joe and Brad. Tom does McCartney to a T.

Walk This Way
    Humorous touch from Joe on the talk box. Hilarious.

Sick As A Dog
    Little too fast at times. Still done well though regardless.

SOS
    Little too fast again for me. Brad kicks in a soaring solo that helps.

Mother Popcorn
    Decent take on the JB song. Tyler’s vocals remind us how he was influenced by JB.

Draw The Line
    I attended the Tower Theatre show and the entire show was probably the best Aerosmith concert I ever saw.

Overall, no clunkers in this set IMO. Some of the tunes are a little too fast from the studio version for me though. I have a pet peeve about that, but I realize bands do that to keep the audience energy up. Not my favorite live album by a long shot but I still listen to it on occasion. 8/10

Geee!, fretter, weekendtoy and 8 others like this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Here is the Allmusic Review - They give it a 3 out of 5.

Since Aerosmith had become one of America's premier rock & roll concert attractions by 1978, it was only natural that an in-concert collection was issued that year, the double album, Live Bootleg. Unlike other live albums at the time, it's obvious that not a lot of overdubbing was involved to fix up the tracks, which results in a refreshingly authentic representation of Aerosmith at the group's most drugged-out and rocking. All of the performances were taken from Tyler and company's 1977-1978 U.S. tour (with the exception of a couple from 1973), while the album's packaging and title were a joke on all the poor-sounding, unauthorized live recordings that were in circulation at the time. Just about every classic is included -- "Back in the Saddle," "Sweet Emotion," "Walk This Way," "Come Together," "Last Child," "Mama Kin," "Train Kept A'Rollin," etc. -- as well as key album tracks ("Sick as a Dog," "S.O.S.," etc.). But the album's high point has to be the aforementioned pair of long-lost tracks from 1973 -- loose and groovy covers of the Yardbirds' "I Ain't Got You" and James Brown's "Mother Popcorn." Although the performances may lack the fire of the shorter Classics Live II set from 1988, Live Bootleg is an excellent representation of one of rock & roll's elite live acts. Note: to tie in with the careless bootleg theme of the album, the track "Draw the Line" is unlisted.

19. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

My understanding is that Live! Bootleg is an exception among 70s live double albums, in that it is all genuinely live, without overdubs. Does anyone know, is this truly the case? I know that Perry said as much in his autobiography. If so, that’s really pretty cool.

Rose River Bear and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Rose River Bear likes this.
  21. Rose River Bear

I think it is all live from all accounts I have read. You can hear some of the parts that could have used overdubs but they are there in all their sloppy glory. Especially some of the improvised guitar parts other than solos. Sometimes Joe and Brad really don't mesh but that is what happens when improvising as everyone knows.

superstar19 and Jimmy Agates like this.
  22. Rose River Bear

23. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

For the longest time I just couldn’t get into ‘Live-Bootleg’ because I really don’t like those two Paul Mall songs - especially ‘Mother Popcorn’ - and how they just sounded completely out of place and spoiled an otherwise great live album.
    But, as was pointed out to me on this forum, it adds to the bootleg nature of the album (like with DTL not listed). So it works in that context.

24. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

I’m not a big listener to live albums generally - and I haven’t spun this since the 80s … I find myself reaching for the definitive studio versions, so no real comment.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I totally agree about the 1973 Paul's Mall songs. My understanding is they were included on purpose along with Draw The Line not being on the track listing to make it seem more like a bootleg. There were plenty of other tracks from 1977-78 which could have been included instead.

Pandora's Box included these live songs from 1977-78 not included on Live Bootleg.

I Wanna Know Why
    Big Ten Inch Record
    Adam's Apple
    Kings And Queens

You could add those to your playlist.

Last edited: May 18, 2022