Aerosmith Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, May 1, 2022.

1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Carbondale, IL at the university, their second to last show on the tour. Saw them again there in 1988. My seats were better in 1985.

ThereOnceWasANote and Mark7 like this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

btw i want to add i thought the "last child" remix on pandoras box was cool but the remix of "draw the line" sounds like garbage. what did they do to the drums

EgaBog and DiabloG like this.
  3. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

The only benefit of the DTL remix is that you get a few more bars of music that weren't on the original. Other than that, it's rather limp and 'empty' in comparison. Still an interesting listen nonetheless.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Matthew Tate

the drums sound like nonsense on the remix lol

DiabloG likes this.
  5. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Did you happen to tape 'em? :)

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

No I was in the front with Tom Hamilton in front of me. I was further back in 1987 and getting crushed part of the time.

Mark7 likes this.
  7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It was pretty cool that they played Let The Music Do The Talking and Red House in 1985. I had to explain to my buddy about those because he wasn't familiar with them.

Matthew Tate and Mark7 like this.
  8. Padre69

Padre69 Forum Resident

They also played Red house in 1990.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Ok but I didn't see them then and I think the Back In The Sadde Tour was the first time they played it to my knowledge. They also played it quite a few times after 1990 Aerosmith Tour Statistics | setlist.fm

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Was a staple for Perry's vocals on the Back in The Saddle (1984-85), Mirrors (1986) and Pump (1989-1990) tours, and appeared a few times on the PV tour (1988). Not sure exactly when after that.

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

According to setlist.fm it was also played a few times in 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.

Matthew Tate and Mark7 like this.
  12. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member Thread Starter

Get a Grip
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    [​IMG]
    Released April 20, 1993

Get a Grip is the eleventh studio album by American rock band Aerosmith, released in April 1993 by Geffen Records. Get a Grip was the band's last studio album to be released by Geffen before they returned to Columbia Records.

Get a Grip featured guests including Don Henley, who sang backup on "Amazing", and Lenny Kravitz, who offered backup vocals and collaboration to "Line Up". As on Permanent Vacation and Pump, this album featured numerous song collaborators from outside the band including: Desmond Child, Jim Vallance, Mark Hudson, Richie Supa, Taylor Rhodes, Jack Blades, and Tommy Shaw.

Get a Grip became Aerosmith's best-selling studio album worldwide, achieving sales of over 20 million copies. The album became the band's first album to reach number one in the United States and tied with Pump for their second best-selling album in the U.S., selling over 7 million copies as of 1995 (Toys in the Attic leads with nine million). This also made it their third consecutive album with U.S. sales of at least five million. Two songs from the album won Grammy Awards for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal, in 1993 and 1994. The album was voted Album of the Year by Metal Edge readers in the magazine's 1993 Readers' Choice Awards, while "Livin' on the Edge" was voted Best Video.

Production
    The album originally had 12 songs and was scheduled to be released in the third quarter of 1992, but Geffen A&R executive John Kalodner listened to what had been recorded and thought it lacked variety and a radio-friendly song. So the band went back to write more songs with collaborators such as Child.

Regarding songs that reflect on the band's history with drug abuse such as "Get a Grip" and "Amazing", Steven Tyler declared: "We were saying you can point it back to some of those old beliefs about the crossroads and signing up with the devil, that you can look at the drugs as that: It can be fun in the beginning but then it comes time to pay your debt, and if you're not sharp enough to see that it's taking you down, then it really will get you."

Many songs were written and recorded for the album that were either used as B-sides or never released. "Don't Stop" and "Head First" were released as B-sides, as well as "Can't Stop Messin'", which also appears on several special editions of the album as an addition in the track list. Other songs were listed on the official Aerosmith website in the late 1990s. "Black Cherry", "Devil's Got A New Disguise", "Dime Store Lover", "Legendary Child", "Lizard Love", "Meltdown", "Rocket 88", "Wham Bam", and "Yo Momma" were listed on the lyrics page of the website.

In 2005, Kalodner confirmed the existence of several of the songs above, as well as "Trouble", "Strange", "13", and "Keep On Movin'". "Deuces Are Wild" was possibly recorded again during these sessions. Several songs are also listed on copyright repertoires, including "Ain't Gonna Break My Heart", "Good Thang", and "Jake". These songs can be traced to the year 1991. Reworked versions of "Devil's Got A New Disguise", "Deuces Are Wild", "Lizard Love", and "Legendary Child" have since been released on various albums and soundtracks.

Cover art
    Get a Grip's cover art, depicting an image of a cow with a captive bead nipple ring through its udder and a brand of the Aerosmith logo, was designed by noted album-cover artist Hugh Syme. Music critic Steven Hyden has referred to the album's cover art as "the worst album cover ever", expressing surprise that Syme was responsible for it given his other work. An animal-rights group objected to the cover art, but the band confirmed the image had been digitally altered and did not depict an actual act of animal cruelty.

A special edition of the album was released in a fabric-covered case made to resemble cowhide.

First digital download
    On June 27, 1994, Aerosmith became the first major artist to release a song as an exclusive digital download, making the unreleased track "Head First" available as a 4-megabyte WAV file to Compuserve subscribers. Around 10,000 users downloaded the song in the first few days, even though at the time, most users accessed the service with a modem, meaning the download would have taken several hours. "Head First" was later used as the B-side for "Blind Man", released in November that year.

Track listing
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Length
    "Intro" Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Jim Vallance 0:24
    2. "Eat the Rich" Tyler, Perry, Vallance 4:11
    3. "Get a Grip" Tyler, Perry, Vallance 3:59
    4. "Fever" Tyler, Perry 4:15
    5. "Livin' on the Edge" Tyler, Perry, Mark Hudson 6:07
    6. "Flesh" Tyler, Perry, Desmond Child 5:57
    7. "Walk On Down" Perry 3:39
    8. "Shut Up and Dance" Tyler, Perry, Jack Blades, Tommy Shaw 4:56
    9. "Cryin'" Tyler, Perry, Taylor Rhodes 5:09
    10. "Gotta Love It" Tyler, Perry, Hudson 5:58
    11. "Crazy" Tyler, Perry, Child 5:14
    12. "Line Up" Tyler, Perry, Lenny Kravitz 4:03
    13. "Amazing" Tyler, Richard Supa 5:57
    14. "Boogie Man" (Instrumental) Tyler, Perry, Vallance 2:17

Personnel
    Aerosmith
    • Steven Tyler – lead vocals, keyboards, mandolin, harmonica, additional percussion, arranger
    • Joe Perry – guitar, backing vocals, lead vocals on "Walk On Down"
    • Brad Whitford – guitar, lead guitar on “Fever”, “Gotta Love It”, and “Flesh”
    • Tom Hamilton – bass guitar, bass solo on “Gotta Love It”
    • Joey Kramer – drums
    Additional personnel
    • Paul Baron – trumpet
    • Desmond Child – keyboards on "Crazy"
    • David Campbell – orchestra arrangements on "Crazy" and "Amazing"
    • Bruce Fairbairn – trumpet, production
    • Don Henley – background vocals on "Amazing"
    • Sandy Kanaeholo – log drums on "Eat the Rich"
    • Tom Keenlysidesaxophone
    • Lenny Kravitz – background vocals on "Line Up"
    • Melvin Liufau – log drums on "Eat the Rich"
    • Wesey Mamea – log drums on "Eat the Rich"
    • Ian Putz – baritone saxophone
    • Bob Rogers – trombone
    • Richard Supa – keyboards on "Amazing"
    • Liainaiala Tagaloa – log drums on "Eat the Rich"
    • Mapuhi T. Tekurio – log drums on "Eat the Rich"
    • Aladd Alationa Teofilo – log drums on "Eat the Rich"
    • John Webster – keyboards
    Production
    • Engineers – John Aguto, Ed Korengo, Ken Lomas, Mike Plotnikoff, David Thoener
    • Pre Production Engineer – Tony Lentini
    • Mixing – Brendan O'Brien
    • Mastering – Greg Fulginiti at Masterdisk
    • Mastering Supervisor – David Donnelly
    • Programming – John Webster
    • Production coordination – Debra Shallman
    • Guitar technician – Dan Murphy
    • Art direction – Michael Golob
    • Cover design – Hugh Syme
    • Photography – Edward Colver, William Hames
    • John Kalodner

EgaBog, JSKC, Doomster and 1 other person like this.
  13. Matthew Tate

yeah starting with the GaG tour perry usually did a song he wrote i concert or mixed up his covers

14. Rose River Bear

Get A Grip

Eat The Rich
    Pounding tribal drums kick it off. A low down and dirty Led Zep type riff follows. Steven keeps it low down as well in the vocals. A standard rise out pre chorus follows. The chorus is a descending line in the guitars but rising in the vocals. Pretty nifty chorus and memorable. Everything repeats and Steven ramps up his vocals for fine contrast. The main riff leads to the break and Joe lashes out a grindy solo with a whammy dip to end it. The pre chorus follows and the chorus comes back. A by the number’s song but done with vim and vigor. A belch that would make Booger proud finishes the dish off. 8/10

Get A Grip
    A Funk infused riff blues rocker. The Extreme influence is all over this one with the vocals in the chorus and such, but Aerosmith was doing this way back when. A fine noisy rocking tune that has a unique Perry solo as well. The vocal bridge is cool as well. 8/10

Fever
    Up tempo and anthemic sounding. The vocal melody is not very catchy, but it still works OK. The song has an old time rock and roll sound at times in the melody. A power chord bridge adds some contrast. No riffs per se but still works for me. 7/10

Livin on the Edge
    Drifty droney open string riff anchors the song. A brilliant mix of folk, rock, and psychedelia. The chorus uses a similar riff as the verse does. Lots of vocals dart in and out. The bridge goes hard rock boogie in Aerosmith fashion and mounts terse tension before the break. The break does not have a showy solo but instead uses fills to drive it along. When the verse returns it gets an arrangement change and it works amazingly well. The chorus follows and is sued to outro the song with chord changes and retransitions added in. The extended coda is amazing with its guitar loop that sounds mechanical Well, that’s the whole point of the song. Great stuff. 10/10

Flesh
    The intro is silly to me, but the song makes up some ground with a fine blues riff in the verse. Another by the numbers pre chorus and chorus but the riffs work for me. Some of the riffs have a metal feel. The guitar solo from Brad is a little too flashy without substance but it does not kill the song. The interlude with the rising chords gets old sounding though and does not really do much and instead sound gratuitous. Too much production stuff drops it a notch for me. 6/10

Walk On Down
    Joe sings this one and he sounds pitchy. Reminds me of The Dolls though. Some overtones of hair metal as well. Not much to the chorus sadly. No thought went into the guitar break IMO. 6/10

Shut Up and Dance
    Reminds me of some early British garage rock in the intro riff. Sing along kind of chorus makes it a fun song. A little too repetitive IMO. The bridge does save it and the break has effects laden psych sounding guitar work. I guess this arose from a jam with the Damn Yankees guys. 6/10

Cryin
    Blues rock intro punches hard but then the verse shifts to the old cliché R and B arpeggio shtick. But guess what….I like the chorus and the Steven’s vocals really hit the emotional sweet spot. His harmonies are great. Standard rise out pre chorus fits it into easy on the ears flow and it is fine with me. Others may say not enough originality or riffs or whatever, but Steven can usually do no wrong when he belts like this. The bridge really cooks as well. 9/10

Gotta Love It
    Backwards guitars ease us into this song. More psych touches. The verse does not really hit me and sounds like it was not worked on. Same with the chorus. A misstep that sounds like a Def Leppard throwaway. 5/10

Crazy
    Another R and B based song that has all of the cliches but again….Steven is really a master at singing these songs. The slash chords give it a Booker T sound. Totally unoriginal sounding but…well you know why I like it. Joe’s solo has a nice clean tone that contrasts with Steven’s vocals. 8/10

Line Up
    Horn based lines abound on this song. The guitars are great with repeating blues howls. Nice groove as well. Joey and Tom provide a solid drive and bottom. Slide guitar from Joe is nothing fancy but it serves the song. 8/10

Amazing
    A tribute of sorts to Queen to my ears with the way the song is arranged and the harmonies. But did we really need another torch type song? Regardless, it is a decent song so I can’t beat it up since it is more of the same but it is a good same. 7/10

Boogie Man
    Atmospheric Ry Cooder type instrumental. Spooky chromatic lines float over a droney swampy bottom. Echoes add to the weirdness. I like it and is a strange way to end the album. 8/10

The first album available for download like it or not. The music? I could have done without three torch songs, but they are all well done. A couple of missteps but they are not hugely off the mark. I still listen to the album on occasion, but I find myself skipping a fair share of the songs. Their biggest selling album so good for them.

MichaelH, weekendtoy, JSKC and 4 others like this.
  15. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

I didn't get this in before the Get a Grip discussion began, but for those who care, Aerosmith's recording of Huey "Piano" Smith's "Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu" can be boiled down to two words: Rick Rubin.

Rubin, who co-produced Tyler and Perry's collaboration with Run-DMC on the "Walk This Way" remake the year before, produced this for the soundtrack to the 1987 movie Less Than Zero, as John Fell noted above. (Aerosmith is listed as co-producer.) Rubin was the music supervisor for the movie, which was based on Bret Easton Ellis' 1985 debut novel. Andy Wallace, who engineered both Run-DMC's Raising Hell and Slayer's Reign in Blood for Rubin, recorded and mixed "Rockin' Pneumonia." The Less Than Zero soundtrack, which also included Slayer's take on "In-a-Gadda-da-Vida," was released on Def Jam, which Rubin still co-owned at the time and which CBS distributed through Columbia.

16. Matthew Tate

great review and glad others like this album as much as i do.

shut up and dance was better live but it wasn't from any jam. from 1992-2000 shaw/blades were a rock writing team. they also wrote the b-side "can't stop messin" , "what kind of love are you on"and "walk on water". they wrote "you're invited but your friends cant come" and "sister of pain" for vince neil, "whole worlds fallin down" and "voodoo dancer" for ozzy, "whenever you're near" for cher, "it me" and "you're my temptation" for alice cooper, obviously songs that appeared on night ranger , styx and nugent albums plus blades was a writer for portrait and co-wrote stuff for the late 90's releases by ratt and great white and journey

gotta love it was played live ONCE as far as i know and it was a milliom times better live

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    JSKC, Doomster and Rose River Bear like this.
  17. Alf Panek

Alf Panek Forum Resident

Holy s**t

18. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

saw them for the only time in this tour ('think Jackyl opened ~).
    they sounded....professional, nothing mind-boggling but good time nevetheless as i recall.

Get A Grip gets a bad rep, mainly due to that Silverstone trilogy but...i rate it just below Pump and on par (or even better) with PV among the post-ROCKS output.
    it could use some trim but...how many albums from this era doesn't :shrug: i hope this album gets fair shake in this thread rather than typical artificial bashing.

great thread btw...any ABA thread that makes me pull out the catalog for the 1st time in ages gots to be a great one. keep up the good work :righton:

19. BackWhereItAllBegins

BackWhereItAllBegins Forum Resident

Get A Grip is where I got on board with not only Aerosmith, but with rock music in general. I was 12 years old and it was my first CD. I credit it with steering my in the right musical direction in life.

I know it has a bit of a bad reputation, but I just don’t get it. There are great rockers like Eat The Rich, Fever, Shut Up And Dance, and Line Up. There are great ballads like Amazing, Cryin’, and Crazy. Living’ On The Edge is somewhere in between. And I love Joe’s Walk On Down.

I just don’t get the bad reputation.

20. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

I didn't care for Get a Grip when I heard it (I should probably give it another chance; it's been 30 years), but I can appreciate what you're saying, because my first Aerosmith album was Draw the Line at age 11 or 12, and I still love it despite its reputation.

JSKC and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I bought "Get A Grip" and was disappointed, mainly because of the sonic assault. They took it back down a notch with "Just Push Play".

My first Aerosmith album was the original greatest hits with the red cover that I bought in 1982. The second was "Permanent Vacation" on up. I thought it was so cool that my ex's favorite band was Aerosmith, and preferred the 70s albums. Anyway, Aerosmith was omnipresent on rock radio from 1976-1978. You'd think the song I heard the most was "Walk This Way" or "Sweet Emotion", but it was "Dream On" and "Last Child".

22. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Get A grip like every Aerosmith album that followed could've been a great 10 track album but unfortunately is considerably bloated. Also I think there's way too many so-so collaborators where Pump only had 40% outside writers this one had like 85% and it suffers as a result.

Here's my tracklisting clocking in at 43:25

1. "Intro" Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Jim Vallance 0:24
    2. "Eat the Rich" Tyler, Perry, Vallance 4:11
    3. "Get a Grip" Tyler, Perry, Vallance 3:59
    4. "Flesh" Tyler, Perry, Desmond Child 5:57
    5. "Livin' on the Edge" Tyler, Perry, Mark Hudson 6:07
    6. "Gotta Love It" Tyler, Perry, Hudson 5:58
    7. "Shut Up and Dance" Tyler, Perry, Jack Blades, Tommy Shaw 4:56
    8. "Walk On Down" Perry 3:39
    9. "Amazing" Tyler, Richard Supa 5:57
    10. "Boogie Man" (Instrumental) Tyler, Perry, Vallance 2:17

23. Rose River Bear

I think I would go with this.

Intro
    Eat The Rich
    Get A Grip
    Fever
    Livin' on the Edge
    Cryin'
    Gotta Love It
    Crazy
    Line Up
    Boogie Man

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

GAG is where the band lost me…I drank the Kool Aid with PV and Pump, but this just wasn’t Aerosmith anymore to me. I knew it when I heard stuff from the tour. Just didn’t sound right. I do like “Walk on Down” because it had some attitude. The rest sounds safe and calculated. I always thought “Eat The Rich” was a funny title because the band was Uber rich themselves thanks to the contrived soccer mom rock they began putting out. But what do I know? The thing sold 20 million copies!!!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    bjlefebvre, JSKC, DiabloG and 4 others like this.
  25. Rose River Bear

It took me a while to start to enjoy it for what it was.....as you said, not the same Aerosmith. Half of the songs are great IMO.

JSKC and Mark7 like this.