Aerosmith Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, May 1, 2022.

1. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Incredible sound. All the Permanent Vacation and Pump stuff sounded incredible. Perry definitely plays better here than the disastrous solos he took during the 1977 concert from the week before.

Tim 2, Padre69 and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. EgaBog

EgaBog The Dreadful Great

It's hard to talk about these Joe Perry albums. I don't know, seems like a totally different thing to talk about since I'm used to using Aerosmith glasses to evaluate the music.

What can I say about this one? It's better than the last one, for sure. Not by a long margin or anything like it, it's no masterpiece by any means. There was never any problem from me with Joe's singing on the first one. The bad songs weighed much more heavily than his non-proficient singing. It's good that he brought another singer along, but I wish he had chosen someone less Tyler-ish. There are so many around, couldn't he have chosen someone a little more "original"?

This album also feels shorter. And of course that may be because it is indeed, what I mean is that the previous one drags a bit and sounds like it's way longer than 51 minutes. Some songs are just neverending and make me think "Holy crap, this album's still playing?".

The Joe Perry Project debut is still undefeated IMO.

Didn't last long, they have already taken it down. :(

3. Padre69

Padre69 Forum Resident

Watta hell? Such a wonderful gig. I wonder what’s the case here.

Rose River Bear and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Looks to be back up...

5. Devon Boy

Devon Boy Well-Known Member

I thought I’d love this but there’s a huge amount of backing tracks, backing vocals flown in and out-and-out lip syncing in places. For example, just before the solo in Janie’s Got A Gun (33:20, where Tyler turns and can still be heard…) and the chorus of Dude. Such a shame.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    Padre69, Mark7 and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Padre69

Padre69 Forum Resident

Yep. The band would’ve not needed those backing tracks. The songs would’ve sounded just fine as a fivesome.

Matthew Tate and Devon Boy like this.
  7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member Thread Starter

Coming up next.
    [​IMG]

JSKC, EgaBog, Matthew Tate and 3 others like this.
  8. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

The only thing I remember from Music from Another Dimension! is Steven and Joe harmonizing on the words "legendary child" and doing a slow trill on the word "child". The incredibly compressed sound is just so unpleasant. It might be a pretty good album; I can't tell because I can't stand listening to it.

9. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

I do honestly love this album, so I'm excited to talk about it!

10. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.

11. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Good album, but geez who recorded/mastered this ? :mad:

12. EgaBog

EgaBog The Dreadful Great

I haven't heard this album more than 3 times. I'll give it a little more attention this round.

13. whisper3978

I noticed the backing tracks for bg vocals and other synth-ish noises that they weren't able to replicate (they didn't do the big booms in Janie, though, right?). But I don't think Tyler lip-synced any of the lead vocal parts. There was that one part where he was running around the stage and didn't get back in time to sing, remember.

Twinge Crispy and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Devon Boy

Devon Boy Well-Known Member

Yes he’s harmonising with himself on backing tracks at points but I still think some lead vocals are lip synced. The concert has been taken down now but Dude is still there as a single song.

1.14 and 1.44 show he’s not singing the chorus line.

15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

no its thom gimbel singing one part. COULD there be piped in backing vocal sections? maybe. do i think its mostly gimbel? yes

Twinge Crispy and JSKC like this.
  16. whisper3978

I put on a little bit of the 1993 concert from Pittsburgh and it was a severe drop in video and audio quality. It sounds bad enough that I'll actually be glad to watch via my computer (with AdBlock) instead of the Apple TV version, which had a commercial interrupting EVERY song from last week's 1989 concert. Maddening.

17. Padre69

Padre69 Forum Resident

I know I’m a bad person for saying this, but I’ve never gotten Back In The Saddle. Tried it for decades now with no luck.
    Remembered it again while watching the -93 gig. The song doesn’t go nowhere, it does not have a proper chorus or even decent melody. And it doesn’t rock like for example Draw The Line. What’s wrong with me?

18. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

It rocks like hell. The structure is unusual, but that's part of its brilliance. Sometimes the best music challenges our preconceptions of what good music should be like.

19. Rose River Bear

I think it has a cool intro from start to :26. Ominous sounding.
    I admit the chorus at :26-:41 is sparse....just the song title but ya gotta love Steven's vocals. Rip snorting.
    Cool riff in the chorus as well. Brilliant boogie type line that has a fine groove.
    The verse starting at :42 has another cool riff that is a variation of the chorus riff.
    The bridge at 1:45 gets the job done for me. Uses a riff similar to the verse but I like the riff.

I think the coolest thing about the song is that the 6 string bass anchors the sections of the song and we get a plethora of guitar fills on top through the entire song. A little unusual and I guess some folks think the song gets lost at times but I think they pull it off. It gets dicey in the outro but they end it soon enough to keep it tight.
    Overall a fine song for me. Not my favorite by the band but it has some unusual qualities to it.

weekendtoy, JSKC, Gus Tomato and 2 others like this.
  20. Rose River Bear

Music from Another Dimension!
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    [​IMG]
    Released November 6, 2012

Music from Another Dimension!
    is the fifteenth and most recent studio album by American rock band Aerosmith, released on November 6, 2012 by Columbia Records. This is their first studio album since 2004's Honkin' on Bobo and the first to feature all-new material since 2001's Just Push Play, marking the longest gap between Aerosmith's studio albums. The album was released in a single CD edition, along with a deluxe version. It is the last album in Aerosmith's recording contract with Sony/Columbia Records and was produced by Jack Douglas, Steven Tyler, Joe Perry and Marti Frederiksen (three tracks). It is also their longest studio album with total track time of nearly 68 minutes.

Another Dimension debuted at number five on the Billboard 200 selling 63,000 copies its first week, a sharp contrast to previous debuts.

Music
    Perry says that 2004's Honkin' on Bobo was actually supposed to be this album, but the energy wasn't right at the time. However, like Honkin' on Bobo, Perry says that this album was recorded with "live, in-the-room excitement". He also says that, like with their albums from the 1970s (and unlike their albums from the 1980s and 1990s), he found himself going back and listening to the completed tracks constantly. He also revealed that the album does indeed include older material, including a riff that is at least 20 years old, stating that it may end up in several songs, "in a mini-opera kind of way". During the recording process, Perry described the sound of the music as "[It] sounds like dinosaurs eating cars - musical dinosaurs with [a] sick beat. Is that a good thing?" "Legendary Child", "Lover a lot", and "Oh Yeah" are described as rockers. The former two have been released as singles and have garnered airplay on rock radio. American Idol runner-up Lauren Alaina provides backing vocals to "Oh Yeah", a song that was a nightly staple throughout the band's "Global Warming Tour". "What Could Have Been Love" is described as a ballad, and has already been released as a single and has garnered airplay on adult contemporary radio stations. "Luv XXX" is described by Steven Tyler as "Beatlesque" and includes backing vocals from John Lennon's son Julian Lennon. "Freedom Fighter" is described as a "politically conscious rocker" and also includes backing vocals by Johnny Depp. Country star Carrie Underwood duets with Tyler on "Can't Stop Lovin' You", which is described as "a country-western crossover ballad". In addition, former Aerosmith guitarist Rick Dufay (who was in the band from 1981–84) plays on the song "Shakey Ground", which is a cover of an R&B song originally done by The Temptations in 1975. "Shakey Ground" is now slated to appear on the Walmart exclusive version of the record. Tom Hamilton is also set to have his first-ever lead vocal on the song "Up on a Mountain", which is planned for release as a bonus track.

Track listing

No.
    Title Lyrics Music Length
    "Luv XXX" Steven Tyler Tyler, Joe Perry 5:17
    2. "Oh Yeah" Perry Perry 3:41
    3. "Beautiful" Tyler, Marti Frederiksen Tyler, Frederiksen, Brad Whitford, Joey Kramer, Tom Hamilton 3:05
    4. "Tell Me" Hamilton Hamilton 3:45
    5. "Out Go the Lights" Tyler Tyler, Perry 6:55
    6. "Legendary Child" Tyler Tyler, Perry, Jim Vallance 4:15
    7. "What Could Have Been Love" Tyler, Frederiksen, Russ Irwin Tyler, Frederiksen, Irwin 3:44
    8. "Street Jesus" Tyler Tyler, Whitford 6:43
    9. "Can't Stop Lovin' You" (featuring Carrie Underwood) Tyler, Frederiksen Tyler, Frederiksen, Whitford, Kramer, Hamilton 4:04
    10. "Lover a lot" Tyler Tyler, Frederiksen, Perry, Hamilton, Whitford, Kramer, Jesse Kramer, Marco Moir 3:35
    11. "We All Fall Down" Diane Warren Warren 5:14
    12. "Freedom Fighter" Perry Perry 3:19
    13. "Closer" Tyler Tyler, Frederiksen, Kramer 4:04
    14. "Something" Perry Perry 4:37
    15. "Another Last Goodbye" Tyler, Desmond Child Tyler, Child, Perry

Personnel
    Aerosmith

• Steven Tyler – lead vocals, harmonica on "Out Go The Lights", drums on "Something", arrangement, backing vocals on "Up on The Mountain", production
    • Joe Perry – lead and rhythm guitar, backing vocals, lead vocals on "Freedom Fighter", "Something", and "Oasis in the Night", production
    • Brad Whitford – rhythm and lead guitar, backing vocals
    • Tom Hamilton – bass guitar, lead vocals on "Up on The Mountain"
    • Joey Kramer – drums, percussion
    Additional musicians

• Julian Lennon – background vocals on "Luv XXX"[55]
    • Melanie Taylor – background vocals on "Oh Yeah" and "Out Go The Lights"
    • Sharlotte Gibson – background vocals on "Oh Yeah"
    • Laura Jones – background vocals on "Oh Yeah"
    • Tom Scott – tenor saxophone on "Oh Yeah" and "Out Go The Lights"
    • Jessy J – tenor saxophone on "Oh Yeah"
    • John Mitchell – baritone saxophone on "Oh Yeah" and "Out Go The Lights"
    • Bill Reichenbach Jr. – trombone on "Oh Yeah" and "Out Go The Lights"
    • Gary Grant – trumpet on "Oh Yeah" and "Out Go The Lights"
    • Larry Hall – trumpet on "Oh Yeah" and "Out Go The Lights"
    • Mia Tyler – backing vocals on "Beautiful"
    • Russ Irwin – piano and backing vocals on "What Could Have Been Love"
    • Carrie Underwood – featured vocals on "Can't Stop Lovin' You"[55][56]
    • Johnny Depp – background vocals on "Freedom Fighter"[55]
    • Bruce Witkin – background vocals on "Freedom Fighter"
    • Paul Santo – Hammond organ on "Something" and "Tell Me", keyboards on "Closer" and "Freedom Fighter", mellotron on "Closer", engineer, pre-production engineer, drum recording, vocal recording, drum engineering, vocal engineer
    • Dr. Rudy Tanzi – Hammond organ on "Something" and "Freedom Fighter"
    • The Section Quartet: Daphne Chen – violin, Eric Gorfain – violin, Lauren Chipman – viola and Richard Dodd – cello on "We All Fall Down" and "Another Last Goodbye"
    • Jesse Sky Kramer – additional drums on "We All Fall Down"
    • Zac Rae – piano and synthesizer on "We All Fall Down", electric piano on "Freedom Fighter"
    • Desmond Child – piano on "Another Last Goodbye"
    • Jesse Kotansky – violin solo on "Another Last Goodbye"
    • Daniel J. Coe – synthesizer on "Closer" and "Oasis in The Night", synthesizer and programming on "Another Last Goodbye", arrangement
    • Rick Dufay – rhythm guitar on "Shakey Ground"
    • Dan Potruch – percussion on "Freedom Fighter"

Padre69, superstar19 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Rose River Bear

Music From Another Dimension

Luv XXX
    A humorous take off on The Outer Limits TV opening kicks this off. A trademark Perry boogie type E riff takes over. The song shifts to A for the chorus that follows. Kind of a standard open for the song but still done well. The verse kicks to a B chord and the changes keep with the blues. The verse has plenty of bluesy touches and the chorus does as well. I like the descending guitar lines on the guitars. The bridge adds some decent contrast and sounds a little like hip hop. The break has a clean Joe solo…a trademark of theirs since Pump. The chorus outros the song. Not a bad opener but not mind blowing. 7/10

Oh Yeah
    Has country rock flavor to it with the guitar lines. The chorus does not really catch fire though for me. The harmonies in the outro bring the song up a little but too late to matter. 6/10

Beautiful
    Sound effects and then pile driving guitars but then a hip hop vibe enters. The chorus changes pace with some psych traits…a nice contrast I suppose. Nothing really ear catching for me though. The melody is decent. Brad gets off a pretty cool solo though. 7/10

Tell Me
    A Tom Hamilton tune that also has some country/folk overtones. The chorus is fine though with some surprising changes. Tom plays some great melodic bass on the song. The bridge has great vocal harmonies. The break has a countryfied solo that sounds straight out of Nashville. Rather good tune. 8/10

Out Go The Lights
    Now we are boogieing. Trademark vocals from Tyler. He likes grooves like this. The chorus has punchy background vocals from the ladies. I really enjoy the break with an interesting variation of the riffs heard in the song. Joe pulls of a deftly placed series of notes. A good boogie song from the boys who perfected that style IMO. 9/10

Legendary Child
    The intro is great with a strange arrangement. The riff in the verse is a little too Led Zep to really catch my ear though. The pre chorus goes on too long for me. Steven does a great vocal job here and so does everyone else, but this song sounds too derivative for me. I know a lot of folks dig it though. 7/10

What Could Have Been Love
    Another country tinged song but this time a ballad. Too “by the numbers” for me though. The chorus never really takes off…..again. Decent melodies though. 7/10

Street Jesus
    The verse riff is a great blues riff from Brad. Steven takes it up in the vocals. When the chorus kicks in the tempo picks up. The song stays in the new tempo with a variation on the opening riff. The new riff is too cliché for me though. Standard blues curl without any unique quality to it. 6/10

Can’t Stop Lovin You
    Another country rooted ballad. The country guitars sound fine though. The chorus is OK with a lilting melody. I was never a big Carrie Underwood fan though, but the song is interesting enough for her not to bring it down for me. I dig Brad’s and Joe’s interplay a lot and it helps make the song for me. 8/10

Lover A lot
    Straight up rocker with a descending chord progression in the chorus and it really sounds dumb to me. No use beating this up anymore. Well…..the verse stinks too. 6/10

We All Fall Down
    Sorry but I can’t bear to discuss this. Too sappy for me. Everything about it bores me. The strings are the final death blow. 5/10

Freedom Fighter
    Lick and A Promise type intro. Joe does a decent vocal, but the song just never catches my ear. Totally vanilla like riff that does not come near catchy. The bridge is interesting though with the vocals, but the guitar sounds like it was flown in. 6/10

Closer
    Arpeggios on the guitar chime to open this tune. I like how the arrangement gets sparse….a needed break. The chorus is not a killer but does not totally fail. It just sits there. The blues riff in the verse is a winner though. 8/10

Something
    Another JP tune. Organ opener is great and a welcome listen. The riff is a little AC/DC and Zep. I like how Joe gets dissonant here and there. The guitars come back after the chorus and fill in for a gnarly sound. A fine blues based song from Joe. 8/10

Another Last Goodbye
    Same sort of piano hook as Dream On to start it off but I have always tried to give it a break if it gets better…..but it doesn’t for me. Cliché ridden R and B type ballad to my ears. The orchestral flairs don’t help it for me. Sorry but a boring closer. 6/10

I don’t dislike the album but there are not enough songs on that really grab my interest. The playing is great as usual but, the songs are in that “I have heard that melody before, but I am not sure where” category. Even if I can’t remember the exact song, it doesn’t matter for me. It makes the songs uninteresting unless something else is there like an amazing guitar solo or hook. Except for a couple of songs, they are not there. And to make matters worse, as others have pointed out, the sound is terrible. Loud and annoying.

22. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

The best Aerosmith record is the one you took off so you could put a KISS record on.

Matthew Tate and Rose River Bear like this.
  23. Rose River Bear

Someone who wanted to piss me off. :D
    Usually I don' like to post from the DR Database but I have to make an exception with this abomination.

Artist
    Aerosmith
    Album Music From Another Dimension
    Year 2012
    Album DR 06
    Min. track DR 04
    Max. track DR 08
    Track DR
    06 06 05 05 06 05 05 05 07 06 05 06 04 06 08
    Codec Other lossless codec
    Source Unknown
    Label Sony Music (Columbia)
    Label code LC 00162
    Catalog number 88725442812
    Bar code
    Country
    EU
    Comment ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Analyzed folder: Aerosmith - Music From Another Dimension ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- DR Peak RMS Filename ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- DR6 over -7.94 dB 01 Luv XXX.wav DR6 -0.05 dB -6.48 dB 02 Oh Yeah.wav DR5 -0.00 dB -6.81 dB 03 Beautiful.wav DR5 over -6.12 dB 04 Tell Me.wav DR6 over -7.06 dB 05 Out Go The Lights.wav DR5 over -6.35 dB 06 Legendary Child.wav DR5 -0.00 dB -7.13 dB 07 What Could Have Been Love.wav DR5 over -6.76 dB 08 Street Jesus.wav DR7 -0.01 dB -8.25 dB 09 Can't Stop Lovin' You (Duet With Carrie Underwood).wav DR6 over -6.62 dB 10 Lover a lot.wav DR5 over -8.05 dB 11 We All Fall Down.wav DR6 -0.11 dB -7.54 dB 12 Freedom Fighter.wav DR4 -0.13 dB -6.03 dB 13 Closer.wav DR6 -0.02 dB -7.16 dB 14 Something.wav DR8 -0.11 dB -11.19 dB 15 Another Last Goodbye.wav ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Number of files: 15 Official DR value: DR6

Tim 2 likes this.
  24. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Music From Another Dimension I give .5/5 stars.

Their worst album by a mile.

Don't forget the Walmart bonus track- Shaky Ground.

Candlegoat and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

4 more songs are missing in being discussed

Up On The Mountain
    Oasis In The Night
    Sunny Side of Love
    I'm Not Talkin'

20 songs in total released for this album

i'd give the 20 song version of the album a 4/5
    yep, you read that correctly. i do like every song on it, i just wish it wasn't so heavy on ballad type of songs.
    while i wouldn't want to get rid of any songs, but i could come up with about 12 songs of the 20 and make a cd
    that most fans probably would have liked much better, haha.

i would take this album over Done With Mirrors, Honkin' On Bobo, Permanent Vacation, and maybe even Pump