AF to do Simon & Garfunkel's Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khojem, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Wow. I do not really know what to make of this controversy. To begin with, I think that Hawkman is right and that Jamie should call and talk to the folks over at Audio Fidelity; that is the RIGHT thing to do in this situation. Also, I am no expert in this field, but I believe that if this title was not derived from the original master tape, then it must have been an HONEST mistake. I have BLIND FAITH in Audio Fidelity making the right business decisions in keeping with their basic promise to deliver audiophile product that has been mastered from the original master tapes. I believe in the ethics and integrity of Marshall and Audio Fidelity.

I have listened to this disc many times, and I like it. As I have said before, I have no previous experience with this title, but I definately like the Audio Fidelity version of this classic title. It sounds very nice to these ears, not overly warm or tubey, but clean and resolving. I highly recommend people that appreciate this kind of music to buy this release and listen for themselfs.

2. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

I'm quite disgusted by seeing some people here being more interested in taking sides or worshipping an hero than learning the truth.

Somebody made an assumption a CD but it's easy to verify - it just takes having the two versions of the CD and using some software. Check it. If it turns out to be false, then feel free to badmouth him. If it's true, and there's a large chance it is true, it would be good to have some kind of explanation for the way this particular remaster turned out to be, compared to the claims on the label.

Some people are afraid this problem could damage Audio Fidelity and Steve. I'd say that fans blindly buying anything carrying the Audio Fidelity moniker and defending it without any real comparison point even if it implies insulting people disagreeing with them is more of a blow to the credibility of the label.

Audiophiles should try to have open ears. If they're blind, I tend to find they're also deaf.

drift likes this.
  3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Nice, insulting, ill informed post.

Did you not read this?

Perhaps you should read the thread before commenting on people blindly taking sides or hero worshiping. Then you can learn at least part of the truth.

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Of course, I'm pretty sure it was Steve's wife that was having a baby. :laugh:

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I just got this reply from AF's Marshall Blonstein:

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Minor detail. :D

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks, Hans. Kevin didn't say it explicitly, but it would appear that he used the original master tapes for the gold disc.

8. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, thanks Hans.

I really wish that Kevin would have answered the question at hand much more directly. :sigh:

9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

While just being a back seat reader on this thread, as I'm truly satisfied with the Anesini remix CD and I was only interested in a CD of the original "MONO" mix, so I haven't bought the new A.F. disc, but, I still find this all interesting to read. I'm familiar enough with Jamie's hearing (I've been to his studio's and I know what greatness has come out of them), that I believe that he is worthy of hearing out, when he has a comparison to debate.

Now, reading Kevin's response, (which was nice of him to do), I'm still not sure that the question of, "Were the Original Mix Master Tapes used in the production of the A.F. CD"? I don't think that looking at waveforms was ALL, that needed to be addressed.

Chris C

10. George P

George P Notable Member

Exactly. :agree:

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

With all due respect to Kevin, that is wrong, period. Multiple A/D transfers will not stay in perfect digital sync, period, even if the same tape is played on the same machine through the same A/D converter.

floydthecat likes this.
  12. syogusr

syogusr New Member

I, for one; sometimes shoot from the hip, so to speak. But what Kevin said, I have said all along, I really don't care if the masters are from outerspace, or about any waveforms.
    I do know one thing, if I said something earlier (I can't remember), I apologize to the respective parties.
    I also know that I listen with my ears. That's what they are for, and this IS the best I have ever heard with this title.
    Thanks Kevin:)

13. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Five paragraphs and one question can't be answered. Why the big secret?

lukpac likes this.
  14. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

This is my understanding as well, based on what Jamie explained when he made the same observation about the Led Zeppelin Mothership compilation (that tracks from it lined up digitally with their counterparts from George Marino remasters). Turned out he was right then as mastering engineer John Davis admitted on this forum that he was given the old digital transfer as a source.

drift likes this.
  15. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

What is this thread at now 34 pages!

Gee you guys are acting like this is Watergate.

It's a $25 CD. Buy it, listen to it yourself, if you like it great, if you don't put it off to the side and don't buy the next one.

IMO the internet is the great destroyer of credibility.

Everyone is an expert and first hand knowledge is not required.

16. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. However, IMHO the greater destroyer of credibility is deceptive advertising and hiding when called upon to answer a few simple, legitimate questions. ;)

17. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

That [original] statement is so absurd, I am kind of disturbed that it came from Kevin.

ThePoodleBites, drift and lukpac like this.
  18. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

What Kevin didn't say (i.e. either that he did use the original master tapes or that he didn't use a source from the 80's) speaks volumes.

ThePoodleBites, drift and lukpac like this.
  19. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I think Jamie should be cut some serious slack. He brought up some info he discovered and shared it with the group. We all do this in one way or another. I do not think that means that he has to be the one to call AF and have a most likely uncomfortable conversation. If anyone is interested in doing this then power to you but it does not mean that anyone has to do this, etc.

Thank you Jamie for sharing your thoughts (like all of us do).............

ThePoodleBites likes this.
  20. therockman

Yes, I wish that Kevin's letter actually adressed this particular issue.

21. semidetached

Jamie was completely in the right for posting what he did. He's not the only one who has come here with info such as this, and putting him in a position where he should talk to AF directly is just ridiculous. Sync issues don't lie. How many times has a particular mastering been called into question? How many times were those labels spoken to by any of the posters here?

ThePoodleBites and drift like this.
  22. therockman

23. semidetached

Thank you. :D

24. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

I thought he did in this sentence.

[/QUOTE] Originally Posted by Kevin Gray.

A great amount of care and a lot of work, more than you ever know, went
    into both Simon and Garfunkel titles. They are mid '60s albums with a
    lot of EQ, compression and distortion on the original master tapes.[/QUOTE]

Bob

25. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

That still doesn't mean he actually used them. Perhaps he had the tapes, as Steve did mention he saw them there, then decided they weren't in good enough shape to produce a quality output, so he decided to master from the 80's transfer. Unless he clearly states what he did, the speculation will continue. If the CD was indeed mastered from the 80's digital transfer, I submit that it would be better to say so openly and clearly. Yes, some folks would avoid buying the CD, but others would respect the decision to go with what he felt was the best choice for producing the best-sounding end release. After all, that is what truly matters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.