Affordable x-files box sets

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ubsman, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubsman

ubsman Active Member Thread Starter

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

3. ubsman

ubsman Active Member Thread Starter

So does DVDPlanet and their free shipping is way quicker. They use regular mail instead of that Airborne/USPS combo deal that Amazon uses. Anyway, the point of the post was that these box sets are no longer $130 list price or whatever they were before. It will be a couple of weeks until they are available. I'll be buying Season 7, which will be my first one.

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Also, keep a close eye on amazon, eBay, and local stores for nice used copies....that's how I've been buying some of these of late, not least the B5 and DS9 boxes.

:ed:

5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I find it unnecessary to purchase these since X-Files is broadcast on TV(still) all the time.

Evan

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I believe (or is that "I want to believe") what is actually happening is that Fox is lowering the MSRP for the season sets from $150 to $100 beginning on May 11th, which also coincides with the release of Season 9. That is why even the listings for the previously released seasons at DVD Planet say "coming soon" with a May 11th street date.

Costco will be carrying the 9th season for $62, and I hope that they stock some of the earlier ones as well.

Regards,

7. I knew the 9th season was a lower list price but I did not know they were re-pricing the earlier sets. So this is Fox basically telling the fans who bought each set as they came out:"You foolish sucker!" Plus they offered rebates if you bought more than one set in the few months after the 8th season was released. Is this a good message to be sending to consumers?

8. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

Those with multiregion DVD players and PAL-capable TVs may want to consider R4 (Australian) editions of X-files (Seasons 1 through 7) that are around $60 Australian plus shipping.

9. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

Fox doesn't care if its a good message to be sending or not. They choose to price the sets in the this fashion, so obviously regardless of the message that lowering the price now sends, they do what they want to do in regards to there pricing structure. Fox perceived they could sell the sets at higher price and for the length of time they kept the list price higher, they did. This pricing just follows the same structure that when a dvd first comes out its set at a certain list price. Then after a certain amount of time its list price is lowered. Finally I don't the typical consumer is going to care that the list price was reduced, all they will be concerned with is that its cheaper now and how it effects there pocket book.

10. Ken_McAlinden

Unless it starts with a very low MSRP, just about every DVD that is released eventually gets re-priced lower. In the case of X-Files, there may have been contractual profit participation considerations that caused them to be initially more expensive. They were sued and settled with Duchovny about a syndication strategy that didn't maximize profitability, so they may have been a little gun shy about the DVDs.

Regards,

11. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Evan, once you watch the x-Files on DVD you will understand why the box sets are so popular. No commercials (nice 45min episodes), widescreen and DD 5.1. I have box sets 1 through 6. Those are the essential season IMO. It was a pretty quick downward spiral after that, not that there isn't some good episodes after that, but the writing was just not as good.

12. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Widescreen??

13. Ken_McAlinden

Beginning with Season 5, they are widescreen. I have all of the sets through Season 7, and while they sound nice, they are DD2.0. Unlike some others, I don't think that the 16:9 episodes look any better than they did at 4:3. In fact, with the exception of the "Triangle" episode, most of the S5 and later shows were shot on Super 35mm film and framed for 4:3 inside a 16:9 window.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.