After Action Report 2021: What Equipment Did You Get?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by drh, Dec 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drh

drh Talking Machine Thread Starter

At the beginning of the year, we had a thread about "What Stereo Gear Do You Plan to Buy in 2021?"

What stereo gear are you planning to purchase in 2021?

So, how'd it turn out? Did you actually buy what you planned to? Or something else? Let's look back at how we fared and how our "best laid plans" came to fruition--or not.

To get the ball rolling, I had no plans to buy anything in 2021, but late in the year I took the unexpected opportunity to snatch up something I'd been wanting for a long, long time: a top-grade Pathe phonograph for playing vertical, sapphire ball cut discs. The model is Concert No. 20, with a good, strong motor suitable for the 14" size records (for scale, that's one in the photos; the machine actually was made to play the vanishingly rare 120 RPM 20" discs) and a cygnet-style German horn that was added later, albeit contemporary to the machine. With a tape measure, I came up with a length of around 5 feet from reproducer to bell of horn. Sounds wonderful and, with the right record, LOUD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is almost a perfect fit for a table I inherited from my grandmother.

[​IMG]

2. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

I didn't plan to buy anything.
    That didn't turn out like planned...

Encore, BZ58, jonwoody and 10 others like this.
  3. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Well, I’ve long wanted to purchase a nice system, and felt like after purchasing a home, having a baby, purchasing a practice, it was time to treat myself.

So far I’ve purchased a Marantz tt15s1, lehmann black cube (which I may sell and get a Darlington mp7,) Sugden a21se, schiit modius, and omega CAMs. Everything but speakers were open box or used. Just waiting on speakers to be finished, then in 2022 the fun begins.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    jonwoody and Rick58 like this.
  4. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

I’m contemplating a stand-alone post for my acquisition; a pair of ATC SCM 11s. I’ve had them a week and could not be happier. An astounding speaker in every regard.

Happy Christmas to me. And you!

5. guestuser

guestuser Chillin

At the beginning of the year, I sincerely believed my system was finished with upgrades. But then I had a house guest whose musical tastes are pretty different from mine and several listen sessions with him revealed some significant gaps in my speakers capabilities. It also showed me these gaps were unintentionally influencing my music selections, which for me is the opposite of what I want from a system. Down the research rabbit hole I went and this week I ended up ordering some JA Prisms. Whether they resolve the issue is TBD but it’s already been a good lesson in the value of having friends who are different from ourselves. :)

6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

A big year!

1) Bought a Rega Elex-R amp
    2) Finally found and bought, a Quicksilver Phono preamp
    2) Had my TEAC 3440 completely refurbished

VERY hapy with all three components. I think I'm looking to do a speaker wire upgrade in 2022.

7. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Enough where I'd have to go back and look at receipts do decide which things I bought in 2021 or 2020. :)

It's been a fruitful few years here :), but 2022 promises to be be a lean buying year for audio gear. Really. Promise.

8. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

This was the year that I was seduced to come back to vinyl, so a nice TT and SUT. 6 months ago, I would have said "no way".

jonwoody, mreeter and Rick58 like this.
  9. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

2021- Schiit Modi3 DAC and Schiit Lokius EQ. AT VM540ml cart. The most money was spent on new vinyl LPs.

10. TheVinylAddict

Said to my wife the other day "... come on, just one more piece of gear this year, and I'll make a New Year's Resolution to not buy anything in 2022"

She said "Then hell no, because you've never kept a single New Year's Resolution!"

That's the problem being with someone 30 years, they have too much historical data, and it becomes tougher to persuade.... :)

11. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

wait until 50 - then she answers even before you make that statement!

jonwoody, mreeter, timind and 4 others like this.
  12. TheVinylAddict

LOL, got married at 33 yrs young, I'm hoping I see 50 years.... not due to us making it, more me making it after all the years of.... all the fun I had!

13. TheVinylAddict

BTW, if you're in the 50+ crowd, you have my utmost congrats and respect. :)

14. TMAN123

TMAN123 Well-Known Member

I think I’m about to do the same thing…

15. TheVinylAddict

Do it. Water's fine. :) Where else can you have as much fun? LOL

16. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

On 12/9/2020 in that thread I said:

"None, but Id say there is a slightly greater than 50% chance that by the end of 2021 I have Maggie 3.3R, a late 80s powered M&K sub, and a Hafler DH-200. And probably a bunch of other stuff I dont need "but have to have for whatever reason" as well.
    :hide::D"

I didnt buy the Maggies, M&K sub, or the Hafler, but I did buy some stuff I didnt need :): a Rogue Sphinx V2, Khozmo passive pre, Black Cat Lectraline speaker cables, a few modest ($20-$40 used) interconnects, and some tubes to roll in the Sphinx.

unclefred, jonwoody and Rick58 like this.
  17. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

My plans from the other thread

I didn't do too bad. Talked to the tech of the amp manufacturer. I think next summer it goes in for a checkup and maybe a mod.

Cart is still the same because it was the year of digital for me. Added HQPlayer and it changed things enough that I've probably been 80% digital since.

HQP led to Roon.

So next year will probably be a more powerful PC and an amp checkup. We'll see where that ends up in a year.

pscreed and jonwoody like this.
  18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I didn’t post in the previous thread, but I did end up with two new purchases for the year.

Sweet Vinyl SC-1 Mini/Phono Preamp
    Denafrips Pontus II DAC

[​IMG]

19. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

Mostly a bunch of small stuff to occupy the Iso-life, only exception being the large speaker sand box project.

[​IMG]

A $55 Class "D" flea sized amp and another pair of $50 B-652 Air speakers for the new kitchen-just-like-the-old-FM-radio streaming set up, an "upgrade chasing" new mouthpiece

[​IMG]
    And, (a most extravagant of all) JnB Dust Cover for the Traveler

[​IMG]

Oh wait, a $39 (on sale) Furman SS-6B to replace the not broken but explosion-in-waiting 22 year old Monster 2000. It does a better job filtering the bit of power line noise from my noisy cheap refrigerator than did the Monster.

jonwoody, mreeter, timind and 2 others like this.
  20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

So far nothing. I have a week left.

jonwoody, mreeter, TMAN123 and 4 others like this.
  21. TheVinylAddict

Heck, the year is young, I could do a lot of damage in a week. Especially if you're buyin' :)

jonwoody and drh like this.
  22. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Planned on Yammie AS3000 or 3200 .. got a Yammie AS2200 for 2799.00 I am very very happy with it :), sounds freakin awesome and I got an amazing price !!

Planned on Technics Sl1200GR instead got the last Japan made 1200G. :)

planned on 10x5 mkii Dyna instead got Denon DL301MKII for the table.

Planned on acquiring an old high end CD player on here or goodwill but instead bought a brand new Rotel CD11 Tribute .. freaking awesome !!!

I think I did well for 2021!

as far as next year … Parasound JC3 jr is on my list. And possibly a higher end streamer like the BlueSound with a Cambridge DAC or possibly without at first. And that’s about all I can do in 22. We are expecting Jan 24th so I gotta watch what I do. But I am grateful and very excited to be having our first child. :) and beyond grateful I was able to obtain what I have been able to obtain.

:)

23. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

I am five grand over expectation.
    But return on investment?---PRICELESS!

24. drh

drh Talking Machine Thread Starter

Congrats! A thought, if you haven't done this already: when my daughter was on the way, I promptly set up a little stereo system in the planned nursery. One of the best things I ever did; I'd play music (primarily greatest hits type classical, like Chopin nocturnes or Handel's Water Music, that sort of thing) every night as she had her last bottle and tap the rhythm on her knee, and I think that may be one reason she has developed a lot of musical ability as she's grown up and also an ear for good sound, even if she isn't terribly interested in audio gear as a hobby.

Swann36, jonwoody, UTP and 2 others like this.
  25. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Lol !!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.