After Life - new Ricky Gervais series on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Mar 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

There isn’t a ton of swearing in it, but with Gervais there’s going to be some. But not overly so, no.

Scotian likes this.
  2. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

Watched season 1 , really liked it. I realize it could do a second season but would be difficult as (without spoilers) it could not follow the transformation formula that it followed. That transformation is the hook/plot in and of the entire series.
    Season 2 would be a complete different mindset. Hard to describe here without giving away the plot. People that have seen the series should get what I am trying to describe. I will say there is plenty of room for character development and a 'new' direction.

badfinger54 and GodShifter like this.
  3. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

He said yesterday that he is writing series 2.

George P likes this.
  4. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

IMO, there's quite a lot of casual F*, C*, etc.

5. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Watched the first episode a few nights ago and enjoyed it. I don't get the obnoxious criticisms of the show. Gervais does obnoxious a lot of the time and does it well. I actually identified with his character, not because I've dealt with tragedy recently, but I have felt kicked around because I'm usually "too nice."

alexpop and bpmd1962 like this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The c-word gets tossed around in England (it seems) fairly easily. I don’t know, I didn’t find the show overly offensive in terms of language.

showtaper likes this.
  7. dougotte

Whether it's offensive or not is in the ear of the beholder. Scotian was asking about the "levels" (I took it to mean "amount") of swearing. I could be wrong about the original question.

GodShifter likes this.
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Well, upon reflection then, the “level” of cursing is probably relatively high. Not Deadwood high, but high.

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Matt I, Binni, SRC and 3 others like this.
  10. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

We watched the first episode. The language wasn't at a level offensive to her. Him cursing under his breath is pretty much me on a daily basis. We both thought the first episode was excellent.

GodShifter and George P like this.
  11. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I loved it. It's both funny and moving. The custard scene in episode 5 was hilarious.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ummm, yeasty bread, too.

13. Steeve

Steeve Forum Resident

I watched it twice. Second time was with my 84 yr old mother and she really enjoyed it.
    It doesn’t seem as dark second time round.

applebonkerz likes this.
  14. I binged this show last night because of this thread. I really enjoyed it. :)
    I look forward to a season 2. I'd like to see how his relationships develop now that things are a little different for his character.
    One of my favorites is Daphne the "sex worker." I hope she gets more screen time the next go around.

Also, I laughed out loud with the Kevin Hart snow globe scene. :D

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  15. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I just watched the series the 2nd time, straight through this time, and my wife and daughter joined in. The time goes by so quickly because the whole thing is really brilliant. Thank you to this thread that made me curious the first time around, and through all the positive comments, encouraged me to stay with it. I'm excited to spend more time with these characters into the future

davidb1 and bpmd1962 like this.
  16. dougotte

Agreed. The last episode seemed a bit preachy and sentimental. I realize that was the point of the series, but the earlier episodes balanced it with the humor.

Yovra likes this.
  17. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

That was easily the funniest thing I've seen in years.

peopleareleaving and Macman like this.
  18. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Finished it tonight. Excellent. Pitch black subject matter with lots of laughs. 9/10

bpmd1962 and SRC like this.
  19. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Terribly, funny scene.

Watched it in one sitting last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. Very funny, dark and unflinching with a big dose of moving humanity.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Macman likes this.
  20. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

Those who enjoyed the custard scene may not be aware that it was based on real life as you can hear at 3:42 in this video:

alexpop likes this.
  21. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I bailed halfway through Ep 1 as well. Casually offensive and just NOT FUNNY.

He goes on a journey, you say? Why would I be interested in going on an a journey with this guy? Better things to do with my time....

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

His care home series- Derek -was also life reassuring in its quirky manner, sometimes sad, sometimes funny. Observational humour.

23. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I saw the first episode, it looks promising. I do hope they don't do the laptop wife video the whole season. I'll bet they don't.

24. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

GodShifter likes this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I swear to god, NOTHING makes me laugh harder or makes me happier than watch Gervais “corpsing”. It might be my biggest joy in life.

SRC and showtaper like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.