After Life - new Ricky Gervais series on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Mar 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

He needs his own show, IMO.

Found more stuff with him in it on youtube: gittins - YouTube

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Derek Slazenger likes this.
  2. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

Finished S2 last night, liked it a lot. Slow at times, but good stuff.

3. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Series 3 confirmed, probable last....
    I like Gervais, plays on the over sentiment sometimes but similar to McCartney here in UK we do criticise our own when they become successful flaws and all.
    Bright guy too (Gervais) when listening to him promoting this, hopefully he'll work with Merchant one last time after this.

Butterfly Blue likes this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member

5. timind

timind phorum rezident

Just finished the first three episodes. Will definitely watch the rest. Funny as hell, depressing as hell.

6. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

I got sick of his depressive character on Extras after a while and i find this character in After Life the same. Shame he can't do accents.

7. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I really want to see this but I'm not mentally in the right place for something with these themes! Shame because I really like Ricky Gervais.

8. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

I liked season 1 because I like Gervais and found this to be a refreshing departure from the typical "comedy" content.

I'm not enjoying season 2 as much, though. It's not a reflection on the quality, it's just more of the same, and rather depressing.

Chalk it down to bad timing, given what we're going through, but isn't comedy supposed to be relief?

9. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

David Earl, he's brilliant. His live shows as sleazy character Brian Gittins are extraordinary and hilarious. He once got me and about five other audience members on stage to mime an orgy in terrifying rubber masks.

Scope J likes this.
  10. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Just finished Season Two. It does help if you listen to everything that’s said. The dialogue rings true. The swearing comes at the most surprising times, which I like.

It’s a comedy and there’s nothing else like it. Tony is trying, but keeps getting knocked down. He does support others, sometimes by mistake. He tries to bring people together, but doesn’t care if that works.

I’m sure many like the show, because no easy options are offered. It feels real to me. There’s always ugliness, stupidity and unfairness, however kindness and beauty are in there - that’s why it’s like life.

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

We have only recently got round to After Life. Watched series 1 and enjoyed it a lot.
    The premise is basically like Groundhog Day: a miserable,cynical guy, trapped in a repeating environment, who eventually realises that he has to change himself and his relationship to others, in order to escape from his miserable existence.

RolandG likes this.
  12. George P

George P Notable Member

13. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Just finished season 2. Brilliant show. Sad, funny, touching, intelligent, acerbic, laser sharp. Captures loss in a way very few shows have.

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

NOTHING and I mean NOTHING makes laugh harder than Gervais corpsing outtakes. His laugh is so infectious. Probably the funniest thing I’ve ever seen was him trying to get through a scene with Patrick Stewart on “Extras”; absolutely hilarious.

Sudie and Scope J like this.
  15. Omron

Omron Forum Resident

I watched both series back to back on a binge watch and thoroughly enjoyed both.
    I did think the C word was used a bit to liberally but other than that excellent.

George P and ex_mixer like this.
  16. Bazzaah

Bazzaah Well-Known Member

I thought it was great. Funny sad and slightly ridiculous.

ex_mixer likes this.
  17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Finished S02 tonight

wow!

wonderful

Billy Infinity and George P like this.
  18. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

I just started watching this it's funny I really like it so far. He's sad but sarcastic which I like
    it's a love story too...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    GodShifter, George P and Scope J like this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Didn’t the U.S. get Derek (2012-2014)?

20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Netflix

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Very popular. :)

22. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I watched about 5 or 6 episodes on Netflix, but it wasn't good enough to hold my interest.

23. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

C-bombs don't do as much damage in Europe as they do in the US for some reason.

24. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I loved this series, and look forward to seeing these characters again should the stars align.

Sudie, Humbuster and George P like this.
  25. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Love Ricky Gervais, The Office, Extras and especially Derek. Finally got around to this and love it as well. Haven't watched any of his movies yet, though, but TV seems to be his medium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.