After record cleaning, does your stylus pull out gunk?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ghostworld, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbones

bigbones Member

I am getting a ton of gunk on my stylus after cleaning and am wondering why. I was only cleaning with alcohol and water too, so all of that fluid should evaporate quickly and not leave any residue on the record that the stylus will pick up. The residue seems different than just plain old dust too.. it's like a moldy, thick, white substance (I'm assuming it's dust that was altered by the alc/water combo). I'm actually thinking that this substance, whatever it is, might be harming my needle. I keep seeing little bits of dust cling to my stylus that don't seem to be coming off with a brush. Should I stop cleaning altogether?

Like I said, I just use alcohol, water, and a soft microfiber cloth. My friend uses the exact same regimen as me and gets no stylus build up.

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Maybe the alcohol is too much. Is your cloth clean? Also, rinse, rinse, rinse.
    I use a paint pad and a little dish soap, and rinse well. I never have any residue.

3. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

too true, I've found unless you vacuum you will always leave something behind. That's why it's the only method I'd ever recommend.

Some record/hifi shops still have Keith Monks machines and they normally charge £1-£2 incl new quality inner. This seems to save a LOT of mucking about
    especially if you don't have time on your hands!

here's a link their site
    http://www.keithmonks-rcm.co.uk/

they revamped their web site recently and the list of shops is being updated
    but give them a ring. I'm sure there must be shops in the US with cleaning machines that offer this service, and of course it can be done by mail.

4. bigbones

bigbones Member

it's clean. I wonder if some of the material might be coming off the cloth and going into the grooves? I doubt this is the case.

How do you rinse?

5. Luckydog

Luckydog Active Member

6. Conni72

Conni72 New Member

Actually, I'm using a big laboratory ultrasonic bath with selfmade motor-driven mounting for the records, water level at the dead wax. 15 minutes for every record, with some surfactant in the water. Very dirty records get a pre-treatment with enzyme cleaner. Best results I get with lukewarm water. You can see the dirt and micro bubbles coming in clouds from the record. Rinsing with distilled water and drying for a day. The dangerous thing is, the bath is getting too hot after some time. After turning a UK 'You better you bet' 45 (my only victim by now, maybe due to its profile with very thin outer material) into a roller coaster I started checking temperature electronically.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I just dip the stylus in Zerodust after each side and there seems to be no problem.

8. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

Me too. Zerodust is your friend :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.