Aja SACD - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phan71, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Is there is an older SACD release of Aja? Or is the only version the SHM-SACD version? I ask as maybe that is why there are different opinions of the Aja SACD.

Bill

2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

The only other version I have of Aja is the original US vinyl issue - so I cleaned it up on my RCM and did my own 'wild west' comparison.

Turntable Setup:
    Technics SL1200mkII, Denon DL-160 cartridge

SACD Setup:
    Marantz SA-KI Pearl with AQ Jaguar ICs

Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated Amp, MIT Shotgun S2 Speaker cables, B&W CDM 1NT speakers and an Epik Valor sealed sub.

On my system, to my ears:
    * SHM-SACD - clear and clean, Donald Fagen's vocals are very clear - better enunciation of lyrics - but on Peg, I can't hear Michael McDonald's background vocals as clear as the vinyl LP. I think this is because the midrange is a tad....ah...recessed on the SHM-SACD? That might give the impression that it is bright or cold.

* the vinyl has more midrange 'warmness' to it, but for some reason, to my ears, Donald's vocal track seems pulled back a bit. Cymbal sibilance is noticable on the title track, but that may be due to difficulty of my tt/cart to track that section fully.

The SHM-SACD is a good sounding disc - just hard to swallow the price paid.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just took about an hour comparing Deacon Blues between the 1999 remastered version and the SHM-SACD version. To me in my system the 1999 version is again the better sounding disc. I wish I had two 83SEs on hand to make the comparison easier but it would be a little expensive ;). I played a portion of each and compared them back in forth.

The last minute of Deacon Blues has a lot of different instruments (effects?) that I honestly can to tell what they are. But the depth and soundstage width is better with the 1999 version on this portion of the CD. The SHM-SACD seems more contained between my speakers in both height and width. I tried both the PCM and DSD setting of the 83SE with no significant difference.

After doing this comparison I decided to play Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow SACD. I wasn't paying attention till the second track and I noticed how flat the SQ was. I thought well maybe there is something wrong with the 83SE :eek:. But a quick look at the 83SE's display showed the MCH layer was playing into my 2CH 2100. I set the audio to 2CH and now it sounds excellent! Caused We Ended As Lovers is now playing, very nice :).

Bill

4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have a MOFI Gold version of Aja on the way so I will compare that to the SHM-SACD and the 1999 remastered version. I plan on selling the SHM-SACD but want to have a few friends do a comparison as well. I just want to make sure its not me and that the SHM-SACD doesn't sound better than what I'm hearing ;).

Bill

5. hutchy

hutchy Forum Resident

Deacon Blue sounds dull on the SHM-SACD compared with the mofi, to my ears and on my system anyway. There is an acoustic guitar that has a nice resonance on the mofi, while the SHM-SACD presents this as a dull strum i.e. you can hear the instrument being strummed (the attack), but the nice resonance I hear on the mofi is just not there. The stereo picture seems narrow too compared with the mofi. I've tried to enjoy the SHM-SACD many times and think the first 2 tracks have some nice highlights that make it worthwhile (i.e. cymbal sounds, piano attack), but I normally turn the thing off in disappointment when I get to the first minute of Deacon Blue.

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just bought an Aja CD off of ebay (item #140533315956) that the seller claims to be a SH mastered version.

The numbers listed were:

Label/Catalog No: MCA MCAD 37214, DIDX 55. Mastered by Steve Hoffman. (unacredited)
    Matrix No./Mirror Band: MCAD 37214 M 2 E11.

Would these be the correct numbers or is there no way to be sure? Not a big deal as the cost was $10.99 shipped. If it is not a SH mastered version I'll have another version of Aja to add to my collection :).

Bill

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I wish this was true but cdjapan was recently selling the Aja SHM-SACD for $36.00 :shake:.

I just did another quick comparison between the Aja SHM-SACD and the 1999 remastered version. I thought I might have different thoughts on my earlier comparisons but I still prefer the 1999 version over the SHM-SACD. I'm not too happy that to my ears a $10.00 CD has better SQ than a $60.00 SHM-SACD :rolleyes:. I really think for the cost of any of the SHM-SACDs the SQ should obviously be better than the RBCD. Unfortunately thats not the case at least inregard to Aja.

Bill

8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

On my system, the edge goes to the SACD. And regarding the price, these SHMs are limited edition. Previously released SACDs initially sold for $24.99, then that price was reduced. Then most of the titles went out of print. Look how much they cost now. I think it's reasonable to assume most if not all the SHM SACDs could fetch prices after they're OOP that make the $60 cost seem reasonable.

9. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I have the Aja SHM SACD and Gaucho SACD.
    The Gaucho SACD blows the Aja SHM SACD away.
    I was disappointed in Aja.
    Stick with the redbook remaster and save your money.
    Glen

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Of course what one feels about the SQ of the Aja SHM-SACD is a matter of opinion and system dependent as well. But for me at $60.00 per disc I want the SQ to be a noticable improvement over the RBCD. I feel if one has to go back and forth in a comparison between the RBCD and the SACD to try to hear any improvements in SQ then its not worth it IMO.

As far as the value of OOP SHM-SACDs increasing that could be true. But who would pay $75 or more for a SHM-SACD when the SQ is not that much better than RBCD? I doubt any SH Forum members would as they would already know the SQ of specific SHM-SACDs were not worth the cost at $60.00. For me I buy SACDs for the improvement in SQ over the RBCD of the same title not for what the future value might be ;).

I recently bought Santana's Caravanserai on SACD for I'm sure more than its original cost but a fair price IMO. I also bought three Patricia Barber SACDs (Verse, Modern Cool and Nightclub) at a very fair price a well. All four of these 2CH SACDs sound much better than the RBCDs that I also own. So the money I spent on these SACDs was well worth it.

Bill

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have both as well and I agree that Gaucho is a much better sounding SACD at a fraction of the cost of the Aja SHM-SACD.

Bill

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That's how I feel about the Aja SACD. If you don't like it, I'm sure you'll be able to get your money back as soon as it goes OOP.

13. screener

screener Forum Resident

I have Gaucho SACD and Aja RBCD. Gaucho by far is incredible in surround sound. I haven't heard Aja SACD. What I do like with Aja RBCD is that its old school and with a good system and 2 channel preamp I can also enjoy it.:)

14. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

That sale is over, unfortunately, I was hoping to get Who's NExt for the same price.

There has been A LOT of debate on the sound quality of Aja. i am certainly entitled to toss in my 2 cents. I have a good enough system to parse the differences between the RBCD and the JSACD.

I like the sound quality of the SACD a lot. it is not perfect nor the ideal Aja that I have been dreaming of. I believe this stems from the use of a Japanese safety copy rather than the original master. this is from what I have read.

The high end and upper midrange and percussion dynamics seem to be slightly reduced with the SACD. I don't get quite as much "air" and little drum things on the SACD as I do on the RBCD. However, I do get the creamy midrange, wider soundstage, deeper image and tighter bass on the SACD which to me is the hallmark of SACD sound.

Is it the best? is it even as good as it could be? I think no to both questions

Is it worth the money? i think perhaps "no" to that as well.

Am I happy I bought it? the answer to that is "yes"

15. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

The use of a safety copy is obvious on the SHM-SACD -- it's horribly hissy and has bloated midrange compared to the remaster. It also has tape artifacts in spots evident in even the first notes of songs.

Don't bother with this one unless you plan on investing in it and selling it higher later.

16. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I certainly wouldn't call it horribly hissy, not in the least.

17. BeeJayDeeJay

BeeJayDeeJay Disque Jockey

I sold my SHM-SACD of Aja - underwhelming. Stuck to my early US MCA RB CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.