Akron, Ohio area vinyl stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Blue Nile Fan, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

every decent used CD he brings in , that is worth anything, goes on ebay, not in the store.

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

So Time Traveler is still open? I haven't been there in about six months.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i really don't know, it's been about 4 months for me, i've been going up to mentor lately, record den is a pretty nice store.

4. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

Yeah, he's still open.
    I usually drop in once a month. Hardly anything new in recent months, but I've scored some nice 80's original CD's cheaply. I do suspect any 'real treasures' are kept for ebay listings. Kinda rotten to treat your actual customers who take the time to visit like menial plebes & given the scraps.
    Personally, I wish someone would just buy him out & turn it into a real music store where the actual customers come first. This clashes with the desire to support any local music store regardless, but he makes it a tough sell for me.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i heard say to a customer once, "how can you come in here and not buy anything, do you know how many CD's and albums I have and found nothing"

i couldn't believe he said it.

i say after christmas this year should do it for him.

sad, because he used to be the absolute best store ever.

6. omom

omom Forum Resident

Planning a November Saturday record shop run with some friends. Akron/Parma/Mentor/Etc. I'm sure there will be a beer or two along the way; we are in the process of finding a DD...

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i highly recommend "zappatellis" in mentor for food. truly truly delicious.

8. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

More Cleveland, but they are East Side (in Collinwood) so if you're already in Mentor, they aren't that far... didn't see these mentioned yet, so apologies if I'm repeating.

Music Saves (located right next to the Beachland Ballroom)
    Blue Arrow Music (in the same block, AFAIK)

9. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I think I'm one of the customers who helped keep Time Traveler in business 15+ years ago, regular weekly visits and I bought all my stuff there. I go in once in a while to look, they still remember me, I suppose they wonder why I never buy anything from them anymore. Read this thread and the other Hoffman thread, there's your answer.

10. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

-Also posted this in another thread - just making sure the word gets out -

Like the guy or not (I don't), it seems he is going under for real this time.
    All of the shelves of choice (his collection) items behind the counter were being packed up.
    As of today, everything used is 50% off & all new is 20% off. He says this will gradually increase over the next month (maybe two), then he will close.

There's still plenty to rummage thru, but be careful - ask what the price is for unmarked stuff beforehand! I bought some unmarked vinyl a month ago when they were all $5 each. He tried charging me $8 for the same selection of stuff, then reducing it to $4.

I still snagged an original Ozzy - Blizzard pic disc in NM shape for $12 + a bunch of obscure stuff, so it wasn't too bad a day.

As much as I do not like the owner, I still hate to see the only independent in my town close the doors. I feel he brought this upon himself in how he treats customers, but It's still sad.

11. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

The good stuff is being packed up because he's gotta hide it. His creditors are wanting paid and he knows that he might get shut down involuntarily. Yes, the store will close soon, but will it be closed by the owner or somebody else?

12. MikeP5877

I stopped in there a few weeks ago and bought a few used records. No discount for me. I had forgotten about this thread or else I'd have asked.

13. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

I stopped in today & was kinda surprised to hear him taking used stuff & paid cash for them. At any rate, the "sale" is still the same although I wonder if he was gonna give me the discount since he was ringing them up at sticker price (unlike before). I had to mention if the sale was still on & he said he'd reduce the total by half (unlike before) & he did.
    His stock seems the same, but there's a hell of a lot of unused Uhaul boxes lying around.
    After asking about the stores' status, he did say that was was trying to make till the end of August if they didn't kick him out first.
    There's still a decent amount of nice vinyl by the counter, but I'll wait till the 'fire sale' before buying a lot more. Still worth the trip for some NM Dan Fogelberg/Linda Ronstadt stuff & a SS copy Of Gerry Rafferty's City To City.
    8 albums total for $22 & change.

14. MikeP5877

Hmmm... now I really wish I'd have remembered the discount - I'd have saved $18. Not that I'm unhappy with the records I bought.

I stopped in the other day around noon, browsed around for a few minutes - had a couple records picked out. Then he asked me to leave because he had to lock up the store and go to the bank.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

scott is a piece of work, isn't he?

did he mention any dates on closing?

i believe he will pull anything good out of the store before he closes for good and either sell it on ebay or open a much smaller store somewhere else closer to chappel hill mall.

he will NEVER sell anything good, cheap.

16. MikeP5877

And to think just a couple years ago, I was getting some DCC gold CD's for $20 or less.

But yeah, those days are gone. The real good stuff goes to ebay and the in-store customers are left with crumbs and bootlegs.

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i know, i bought both steely dan mfsl's there for less than $20 each.

and legit imports, he had them all.

now it's all illicit boots and garbage common used stuff.

18. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

Get this:
    I was in today & could hear him on the phone complaining how he is doing terrible (as usual). I did overhear him again telling people he'll be open till they kick him out.
    I browsed for about an hour & had an armload to checkout.
    He rang everything up at full price & told me the total. I asked about the sale & he replied. "The sale is over".
    He acted like he did me a favor to give me 20% off. I accepted only because I had time invested in my selections. I really should have said no thanks & walked out. My intuition told me to ask what was on sale when I arrived, but I didn't. Lesson learned...

He said he is going to come up with a "different kind of sale" whatever the hell that means.

The store looks about the same as it did a few weeks ago & there's still plenty of oddball nice vinyl to pick from. I'm gonna have a real hard time convincing myself to set foot in there again until he makes the closing official.

His arrogance just leaves him deserving of an a** kicking to be honest.

Let the fire sale begin! I'm waiting....

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

he is really something else, that's for sure.

it's been about 2 years now that he has been saying he is closing soon, yet he justkeeps hanging on.

he has to know his store has gone to hell, he has to.

20. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I wouldn't give that jerk any of my money.

21. MikeP5877

Heads up - I was in The Record Exchange today in Parma Heights and they had a few CD's that I don't usually see in stores:

Left Banke - There's Gonna Be a Storm - $28

DCC Gold Wings Speed of Sound - $75

DCC Gold - Wings Venus & Mars - $75

I did not check these for condition but anyone in the area looking for these may want to check 'em out.

22. abescan

abescan Forum Resident

I have been there a few times.......the place is loaded with vintage used vinyl. most of it in bins but lots of lp's in piles on the floor. They have a ton!

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

thanks for the heads-up, but parma is a little too far west for me :(

$75 seem a little high for an exchange store, doesn't it? they usually price gold CD's around $20 - $25.

have you been to time traveler lately? has anyone?

24. MikeP5877

I haven't been to Time Traveler since a couple months ago when he asked me to leave so he can go to the bank. I think that will be my last visit there.

25. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

Not since my last visit. After that experience, I have little motivation to go back.
    I drive by a couple times a week & don't see a going out of business sale sign yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.