Al Adamson: The Masterpiece Collection Blu-ray!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Feb 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

Shawn, gillcup and dangiedr like this.
  2. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I saw a tweet for this yesterday. I know very little about Al, so can you please explain why are so many people excited about this boxed set?

Michael likes this.
  3. Michael

just look a t the titles! he was a madman...strange dude...cool movies...like Hershall Gordon Lewis in a slight way...
    Al Adamson - Wikipedia
    Al Adamson - IMDb

4. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

But are his films so bad they’re good or just solid B type exploitation fare?

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

I would say both! it's a matter of opinion, BUT if you have no idea of these films it may be a waste of time and money...they are Drive In Movies! LOL...YMMV. research them on youtube...

Avenging Robot likes this.
  6. Michael

LOL...I figured this would not get much mileage! LOL...but I had to announce it for those who may dig it...

JackBnimble likes this.
  7. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Awesome. I just ran through all 8 films in Ray Dennis Steckler's 2 box sets for the first time and it sort of trained me on these Grade Z movies made with love and no money. During that marathon I tried the occasional Hollywood glitzy films interspersed thinking I probably need a refresher but everything came away feeling so calculated and sorta boring, and so I went back to Grade Z. I love the amount of commentaries and films in this collection. But why did they not throw in Lash of Lust? One of the few films made at the Spahn Ranch after Manson!!!!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Michael likes this.
  8. Michael

yea me too!...a treasure trove indeed...I'm excited about this release...

9. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

That's pretty awesome. Al's movies are generally absolute crap but they are FUN crap. It's like in Hong Kong, they would make a whole bunch of movies about Flying Guillotines until they got to diminishing returns and made a super cheap version with Carter Wong that would kill the idea off once and for all. That's sorta what Al's movies are like. Death Dimension and Black Samurai both look like they were made with leftover ashtray money but they have a crazy, sleazy energy about them that can't be denied. I did not know about a Steckler box either. Thanks for the heads up. I hope these are as good as the Street Fighter and Sister Street Fighter boxes I got last year. It truly is a GREAT time to be an exploitation fan. They've gotten to the bottom of the barrel and that's where some of us thrive. :righton:

Michael likes this.
  10. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I love Al Adamson's stuff. So good it's bad. I grew up on films like Dracula vs Frankenstein and Horror of the Blood Monsters. I also like his other exploitation flicks like Satan's Sadists (Regina Carroll!) , Nurse Sherri and The Naughty Stewardesses. It'll go on the shelf right next to my Herschel Gordon Lewis box set.

Michael likes this.
  11. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

That's exactly where my copy is going, too! Al's movies were always #3 on the Drive-in triple bill.

12. Michael

great stuff! I'm laughing my azz off! well put. ; )

13. Michael

YES! Hershall! I have the Feast Box and love it! yes a perfect place on the shelf next HG! a perfect pair...

14. Michael

#3...the box will be number one to me... It's amazing we are getting this on BD!

15. Crungy

Crungy Forum Resident

Extremely bold of Severin Films to use the word 'Masterpiece' in this box set title and risk certain legal action for false advertising...

16. TwentySmallCigars

I pre-ordered this from amazon US and with shipping and import fees, the total price was $US 329.14.

Today, whilst looking for other info on the set, I saw that on the Severin website the price was $US 170.00 including free shipping to Canada.

Cancelled the first order and sent Severin my cash immediately.

17. Barnabas Collins

I admit I'm a little nervous that Severin is the label putting this set out. They've had a very up and down track record as of late. I'll probably read reviews before picking this up.

TwentySmallCigars likes this.
  18. TwentySmallCigars

I can empathize with what you're saying but I'm not expecting any of these to look like Lord of the Rings.

No matter what they look like, I firmly believe that the odds of getting these movies in superior quality in some future box set is remote.

19. Barnabas Collins

I hear you and I'd never expect any Al Adamson production to look like Lord of the Rings. But it's more about mastering errors that should/could be preventable before the blu-rays are issued. Such as The Changeling (1980). The audio was all messed up on the original blu-ray and then when replacement discs were issued, they managed to be even worse. Also, if you've read any critiques of their Hemisphere of Horrors box set or seen any of the screen grabs, they really F'd that box set up badly. Standard def DVDs look better than the BDs. There is a lot of criticism of their output if you follow the threads on blu-ray.com. I'd have a lot more faith if Vinegar Syndrome or Arrow was releasing this set, but perhaps Severin will get it right.

JackBnimble likes this.
  20. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I find that Michael and I have similar taste in movies and TV shows, so I will have to look into this.

21. 200 Motels

200 Motels Forum Resident

You seem to have been able to predict the future. This set in fact does have a production issue. The company sent out this set early to some folks and the disc 8 was messed up and would not play.

The good news is they seem to have gotten it under control and already mailed and got replacements into the hands of the early folks.

Amazon delayed my order a week and I believe all sets from Amazon will have the correct disc 8. Looking forward to this set....even though it is a wallet buster as $250!!

22. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Wow! $250. Well I do hope that for the sake of everyone who purchased it, it turns out to be a nice set. As big an exploitation fan as I am, I just couldn't pull the trigger because so many of Al's movies are just unwatchable for me. I wouldn't mind having remastered versions of The Female Bunch, Satan's Sadists and the Jim Kelly movies but that is about it. Each to their own though, of course. I would snap up a Ted Mikels box like this in a New York minute and he is just as bad. Anyway, best of luck!

23. 200 Motels

Yep, it’s at $250 with tax for me right now. Really hoping for a price drop before release.

I also wish this was not a limited set. Looks like this will be OOP shortly after release date, so that is why I am getting it now.

24. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

It was available a couple weeks back for order again from Severin. I’d recommend keeping an eye on their page. They are way behind on shipping so I suspect they only have it unavailable due to that. It’s around $185 shipped there if/when it comes back.

200 Motels likes this.
  25. 200 Motels

I ended up getting this from Amazon and it was delivered this morning. Pre-order price match guarantee from Amazon came in handy, as this dropped in price considerably and I got a refund for the difference.

Bad news is the Disc 8 was the faulty one. I sent email this morning and should be getting a replacement disc directly from the replicator.

Mr. H likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.