Al Hendrix is dead, Layne Staley is dead

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Patrick M, Apr 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius Thread Starter

Al Hendrix is dead, Layne Staley is probably dead

Not trying to be flip in the subject line...I'm actually very disturbed by this. A decomposing body was found in Staley's home, but I haven't seen a story that has positively identified the body yet.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...d=579&u=/nm/20020420/en_nm/people_staley_dc_1

In case anyone doesn't know, Al Hendrix was Jimi Hendrix's father and Layne Staley was the (principal) lead singer of Alice in Chains. :( :( :(

2. Mike

Mike New Member

Damnit. This sucks. I guess we knew this would happen. Here's Layne in Rolling Stone in '96.

"I wrote about drugs, and I didn't think I was being unsafe or careless by writing about them," Staley told the magazine. "Here's how my thinking pattern went: When I tried drugs, they were (expletive) great, and they worked for me for years, and now they're turning against me -- and now I'm walking through hell, and this sucks."

Anyone who wants to hear a great singer should pick up the "Dirt" album or better yet, the Live Facelift video, so you can hear that he really was a great singer.

3. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

:(

Very sad, but I think we (well, AiC fans) all knew this day was coming.

:( :( :(

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

R.I.P. Layne Staley

I suppose he never found peace here. Not a surprising death, but sad and unneccessary nonetheless.

P.S. I did see this as confirmed a few minutes ago on CNN.

5. AKA

AKA Senior Member

What a shame. And a waste of a damn fine musician.

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Heartbreaking.

Dan C

7. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

Damn, it's sad to hear Al passed away. Seeing him and his daughter Janie at various concerts, record shows and other functions during my 7 years in Seattle was always a treat and a pleasure. Al was a real sweet man with a lot of integrity who did a lot of good for Jimi's legacy. I'll miss him, he was a real kind man. Father & Son together again.

Rest In Peace

-ED

8. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius Thread Starter

What a downer. I kept hoping Layne would emerge -- clean -- and AiC could do their thing again. Their last album was great. Remember the first lines?

"In the darkest hole
    You'd be well advised
    Not to plan my funeral before the
    Body Dies"

I never got to see AiC. I had 7th row tickets about 10 years ago, then they canceled cause Layne was "sick." We all know what that really meant...

On a positive note, Jerry Cantrell's second solo album will be out 6/18.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.