Al Pacino's run from 1972 to 1975

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Szeppelin75, Apr 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the span of three years Al Pacino made The Godfather, Serpico, The Godfather II and Dog Day Afternoon. Nominated at the Oscars for his acting in all 4 of those movies. Incredibly not winning one.

Has there ever been a more incredibly run for an actor in such a short period?

sennj, yesstiles, Rachael Bee and 2 others like this.
  2. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Jim Carrey from 1994-1998? I mean he didnt win any awards, films werent loved by critics but he was the top box office draw who couldn't be stopped

905 likes this.
  3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

When an actor is hot and in demand, he's hot.

4. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Very true. Some big office box movies.

5. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Tom Hanks 1993-1995

rogertheshrubber, 905 and GMfan87' like this.
  6. Graham

Graham Senior Member

You can extend that earlier by a year to include The Panic In Needle Park too.

And you’ve not mentioned 1973’s Scarecrow, another winner.

7. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I don't think any can compare to that presence and raw energy he exuded in the 70's. It's such a shame he couldn't stretch it in to even more quality roles, performances.
    I sometimes think what does the older Pacino think when he sees that young, dynamic, wholly believable actor?!

8. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

[​IMG]

9. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Pacino's roles as Michael Corleone and Sonny Wortzik are two of my all time favorite acting performances. His performance in The Godfather is the gold standard for subtlety and glacial character development, and Dog Day Afternoon proves there was a time when he could be wildly expressive without coming off like a cartoon character. Serpico is great too, but few performances match the nuance and magnetism of the other two.

10. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Cary Grant from '37 thru '41; includes The Awful Truth, Bringing Up Baby, Holiday, Gunga Din, His Girl Friday, My Favorite Wife, The Philadelphia Story and Suspicion. Not too shabby!

11. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Robert Deniro
    1973-1976
    Bang The Drum Slowly
    Mean Streets
    Godfather II
    Taxi Driver

1978-1983
    Deer Hunter
    Raging Bull
    True Confessions
    King Of Comedy

12. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Steve McQueen had a pretty good run from '65 thru '68----The Cincinnati Kid, Nevada Smith, The Sand Pebbles (love that movie!), The Thomas Crown Affair and Bullitt.

13. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I'd also add in Harrison Ford from '79 thru the eighties.

guitargal likes this.
  14. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

True, a lot of big movies for him in 90's, the Jack Ryan ones, The Fugitive

guitargal likes this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i'm gonna catch hell for this one, but can you really put jim carrey in the same acting class as al pacino? or, for that matter, with every other actor mentioned on this thread.

the difference between a movie star and an actor, i guess is what i am saying.

GMfan87' likes this.
  16. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

Nicholson’s run wasn’t too shabby, around the same time period too;

The Last Detail (1973)
    Chinatown (1974)
    The Passenger (1975)
    One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)

17. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

Pacino owes a huge debt to Martin Bregman, who fully believed in him as a leading man and produced Dog Day Afternoon and Serpico for him in that time frame. Star-making roles along with the Godfathers. That whole early-mid 70s era was mindbending for male leads. I was just watching Warren Beatty in Shampoo the other week and couldn't believe how good he and the movie were.

18. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Mickey Rooney, biggest box office draw in Hollywood during 1939, '40, '41 "Bump Schhhhh.."

19. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I agree, this is the strongest run of movies. A case could be made for some others, but I'd be inclined to go with Pacino.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  20. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Yes the 70's was a goldmine of great male actors (Hackman, DeNiro, Nicholson , Duvall..) Beatty fit the Shampoo role but aside from his looks he was always a pretty lousy actor imo, had somewhat of that bewildered look like he had in interviews .

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i thought beatty's pinnacle was 'heaven can wait', it was like the role was meant for him.

22. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

some others: Pauly Shore 1993-1996, Encino Man, Son In Law, Bio-Dome....never nominated for Oscar, but a good Razzie run!:biglaugh:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Chris Gerhard likes this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Dustin Hoffman - Graduate through Tootsie (skipping Harry Kellerman....).

fr in sc likes this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Fantastic film run?
    In the seventies I’d place Jack Nicholson first ..
    Then Al Pacino
    Followed by Robert De Niro

fr in sc likes this.
  25. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Squeeze in there Burt Reynolds...not comparing to other actors mentioned so far.....but gotta admit he could do no
    wrong early 70's onwards ...obviously starting with '72 Deliverance,The Man Who Loved Car Dancing ,White Lightning ,The Longest Yard....original,yes:agree:......who could forget W.W. and the Dixie DanceKings:laugh: Hustle, Gator,Semi Tough..
    never cared for "The Bandit"movies.....once you get into 80's and 90's it was hit or miss,....more miss.....was only nominated for an Oscar in the twilight of his career with Boogie Nights......the one big regret he had was doing that Cosmopolitan magazine centerfold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.