Alan Alda to Join "The West Wing"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lisa, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I just love Mary McCormack, I'm glad to see she is coming back this season.

2. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

As anyone who is a "West Wing" watcher knows, the critics have been putting it down since Sorkin left, and the ratings have gone down steadily. Last year, if I recall, it was trounced by "The Bachelor" several times. It would appear that using Alda, McCormack and perhaps Jimmy Smits is an effort to attract viewers.

3. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

It does seem that way.

"Also joining the series is Marley Shelton, ("Uptown Girls"), who will play a former feature reporter mentored by Danny Concannon (Timothy Busfield) who becomes White House deputy press secretary."

As long as they keep Carol, I'm cool!

4. Ryan

K-tel I read that differently than you....I read it as Marley Shelton is the former reporter becoming the deputy press secretary. She was mentored by Danny Concannon (Timothy Busfield).

Anyway, I hope this doesn't mean Carol is out ...she's a babe. :love:

5. Ryan

Who knows what will happen? Lots of these shows (ER, West Wing) have been thru some pretty drastic overhauls lately to try to keep them fresh. I think NBC is nearing another "End of an Era." Last year it was Frasier and Friends...

6. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

Who's leaving?
    In my opinion this great show is already top-heavy with great actors that don't have enough plot lines to keep them busy...Anyone agree?

7. dcooper

dcooper New Member

I wondered how they would deal with the end of Bartlet's second term, which should be coming up, maybe not this coming year but definitely by next season.

As much as I love the series, I think it would be good if they just fold the tent with Bartlet leaving office. That would make the arc of the series complete. What do you folks think?

8. Ryan

The West Wing: The Next Administration

9. MikePh

Term Limits

Dan...You've got my vote. Just like the real politicians, there's a time to leave. Hopefully the TV politicians will realize the importance of going out on a high note.

10. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

Having a few friends at Warners, Plus working there my self fora few years I can tell you that A good show likes this one can run into BIG BUCKS. Martin pulls down around 7mil a season alone. With the ratings taking a dive I am sure this will be the last season.There was (is) talk of ending the current adminstration and getting a whole new Staff with a new Prez. Kinda like West Wing the next generation but unless the toppeople cometosomesort of agrement, I dont see this coming topass. me, i would love to see Rob Lowe back!!! I guess this wont happen because he is doing BIG TIME dramaas "DR VEGAS". Some people just dont know when the career is over!

11. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

What really changed this series was when the decision was made to feature Martin Sheen as President Bartlett when, as originally written, the President was going to have a small role and the show was going to focus on the staff. That was one of the main reasons Rob Lowe left, from what I read about his departure. I have no problem with Martin Sheen, certainly, as an actor, but it would have developed differently with the others as the focus.

12. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

I was a big fan of this show the first couple of seasons, but began losing interest during the (overly "preachy") third season and pretty much lost ALL interest last year after Sorkin's dismissal. Personally, these cast changes will not bring me back. As far as I'm concerned, somewhere along the line, this show turned into E.R. and became action driven (with each episode focusing on reacting to a cataclysmic event) rather than character/story driven. The show is still graced with a good cast, I just wish they had better scripts to work with.

Gary

13. Two words. Janel Molony. :love:

Attached Files:

14. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Chris, I am with you, she is such a babe. :thumbsup:

I think it would be great if they had a Republican win the next election and gave us a few years of how that administration would work. I always liked the episodes that had the actress who now plays on CSI Miami in the role of White House legal staff even though she was a republican. I thought some of the lines she had about how she felt about the President, Democrats and the staff were very good.

15. Ryan

Thread revival seeing as how I'm watching part of the Bravo marathon...

As well as the first episodes of the new season...any comments so far?

Spoiler:
    \
    \
    \
    \
    \
    \

Seems Leo will be out of commission after taking a massive coronary in the woods of camp David last week...hell he could be dead, the way they left it at the end! I hope not...also, no sign of Alda and Smits, yet..

16. MikePh

Alda will join as Republican nominee seeking to enter Repub Primaries... I'm assuming Smits will come to White House in some role after Leo's death.

17. Ryan

Web spoilers say he may not be dead....but from last week it looks like anything's possible...

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Boy, I HATE what they have done to this show. Criminal.

19. Ryan

I agree it seems to have gone downhill fast since Sorkin gave up day-to-day involvement...which is why the Bravo repeats are so nice to have...

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ryan,

Yes, hooray for Bravo...

21. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

First two seasons were rather fun....hasn't been quite the same since they forgot Emily Proctor existed....loved her brass...:love:

Ah well there are the box sets.....

:ed:

22. Ryan

Agreed about Emily, Ed. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.