Album covers 33 ⅓ - Because it sounds better than 33 ½

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Nostaljack, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast Thread Starter

Yeah, mine wasn't cheap (about that price). I dearly love it. The workload is cut considerably with it. I've been using it for over 2 years and it hasn't given me an ounce of trouble.

Ed

2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

My request Ed, is that you do a section on company innersleeves, and of course the A&M innersleeves.

Like this one:

[​IMG]

3. Nostaljack

Good idea. I've scanned so many already. Could put them in their own section as I've done with single sleeves.

Ed

4. Nostaljack

5. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have been looking at those large format scanners for years. Just too expensive. I have used them before and I know what a time saver it is. The Epson that I used while good always developed a problem with dust getting in and putting lines on the scans, depending on what color it was scanning. Both the 1100XL and 1640XL. I would still buy one if I could though. So I just keep scanning my 12" singles in 4 passes.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

What I don't understand is why are they so damn expensive? A regular scanner can be had for under $100. If all you're doing is increasing the real estate bit, why does the price suddenly go up to two grand? $300 makes more sense.

Nostaljack and Veggie Boy like this.
  7. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Yea I know. Has been that way for many many years. Speciality market I guess. Epson told me years ago they sold most of the large format scanners to Dr offices. There are other brands besides Epson that are cheaper but I don't have any 1st hand experience with them.

8. Grant

As with another old printer company whose name I can't think of at the moment , they over-price their products because they sell to businesses, institutions, and the government. Echoes of the $1000 toilet seat.

9. Nostaljack

I've got the 1100XL and the results are stunning each time. It does have its own mind with regard to color choices but it's quite tweak-able so I can still be true to the media I'm scanning. I absolutely love mine. It wasn't cheap but the trouble it has saved me as well as the finished product is well worth it.

Scanning at 1200 dpi is a real pleasure though it does take a while. When you scan text at 1200, it's just perfection. I normally do everything else at 600 dpi now and I've been using that setting for quite some time. The results are just fantastic - better than my old HP scanner for sure.

Ed

PTgraphics likes this.
  10. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

The 1100XL is a great scanner. I used to use one 5 days a week scanning photos at a old job. If using the Epson Scan in Professional Mode don't use Auto color or auto anything and you should get consistent results. I use a little Epson v37 and use Epson Scan in Pro mode. I tweaked the initial settings and just change my crop marquee now to whatever I am scanning. I just scan at 400 DPI 16 bit.

Nostaljack likes this.
  11. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Want to add that I am looking for another scanner. The blacks on the one I have are not very good any longer. I need one that the lid can either come off or hang down over my desk to scan the covers without turning them. I can't afford a large format one at the moment.

12. Nostaljack

zebop likes this.
  13. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I had this one, great reproduction, my copy was the heavy cardboard that RCA still used at the time. The cover and album is dated but it wasn't a bad album.

Nostaljack likes this.
  14. Nostaljack

Mine is too...and it's the cover is torched. The sleeve kinda is too. The record itself sounds fantastic. Go figure...

Ed

zebop likes this.
  15. Nostaljack

16. Nostaljack

17. HGN2001

Nostaljack likes this.
  18. HGN2001

19. Nostaljack

20. Nostaljack

21. Nostaljack

Web server madness strikes again! After an hour-long phone call, it's all straightened out now and the site is back on-line.

Ed

Grant likes this.
  22. Nostaljack

23. Grant

Very, very nice!

There are still scads of covers on the internet that haven't shown up anywhere, at least with quality. And, rock and Euroccentric metal covers still dominate most of the sites out there. It's good to see someone paying serious attention to jazz and R&B, and obscure pop titles. More!

Nostaljack likes this.
  24. Nostaljack

25. Nostaljack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.