Album reissues that replaced the original versions of songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by little_earthquakes90, Jun 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaycat

Jaycat Forum Resident

Really? I had no idea.

porieux likes this.
  2. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Seal debut album was quietly reissued with a few different mixes of some tracks very early on in its lifetime.

Kate Bush has already come up for Hounds Of Love but I think she’s also recently done it again; last year’s box set campaign had a version of 2004’s Aerial that replaced the original’s Rolf Harris monologue with one performed by her son.

PhoffiFozz, Thorpy and ispace like this.
  3. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

4. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Billy Joel - New York State Of Mind - sax solo.....

WMTC, Jarleboy and utopiarun like this.
  5. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

Sadly, yes, it's true that the first two Ozzy albums had the drum parts replaced (if I remember, the bassist was Rob Trujillo, now with Metallica, and the drummer may have been the drummer from Faith No More who were replacing Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake's parts respectively), but the fans really gave Ozzy and Sharon a hard time over it and it wasn't long before the originals were back on the market.

6. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

do you know how many vinyl versions? they released

7. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The Grateful Dead remixed both Anthem Of The Sun and Aoxomoxoa a few years after initially released. Most only knew the latter versions for a long time. Many of the Aoxomoxoa songs were radically changed.

NumberEight, PhoffiFozz, ARK and 3 others like this.
  8. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I have no idea, but I only have discs, no vinyls for me.

radickeyfan likes this.
  9. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

I remember the version of WUTHERING HEIGHTS (Kate Bush) they played on the radio back in '78. All versions I've heard since sound like a Remix. Shame, I liked the original version... If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

During its vinyl run in 1982-83, Duran Duran's Rio had several tracks remixed by David Kershenbaum. Originally on the EP Carnival, these mixes eventually replaced the first mixes on U.S. copies of the album (and helped make the LP a hit).

But when Rio was issued on CD, the original British mixes (for the most part) were used, so it sounded nothing like what was familiar to U.S. fans.

11. Elek.-maxe

Elek.-maxe Forum Resident

Blancmange replaced "Waves" on their first album with a new version, seemingly that version got lost? Even the lastest releasem where it is a bonus has it only in lower qualilty.
    They changed around some versions of other tracks on later albums elsewhere, I guess they don't know the intended version either...

Kraftwerk even changed the name of the album "Electric Cafe" plus replacing the original "The Telephone Call" to its 7" remix an added an almost instrumental remix

The Moody Blues repaced the whole "Days of future passed" album with its remix

The Thompson Twins messed (not only with Dr Dream...) with some of their versions on some of their albums

Marc Almond's "The Stars we are" had "Something's gotten..." replaced with the duet-version

The Cardigans got their international debut "Life" changed by replacing 5 songs to older ones (mostly from their real debut "Emmerdale"

Jarleboy, ispace and pwhytey like this.
  12. Taliesyn

Taliesyn New Member

Marty Balin (from Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship) solo 1981 album "Balin: was released on CD by American Beat in 2008. However the hit song "Hearts" replaced the album version with the single mix.

ARK and McLover like this.
  13. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction was remixed and partially re-recorded. It sounds horrible. Unfortunately this version was also used by MoFi for release. I really don't get what Dave tried to accomplish here.

Roger Waters' Amused to Death also has some changes for the SACD version which are kinda not very intrusive, but they still annoy me enough to make me only play my Mastersound edition.

Jarleboy and Queezma like this.
  14. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I think there may be some alternate mixes on the reissue as well.

landerstnkb likes this.
  15. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Zappa was in his studio damn near 24/7 futzing with much of his catalog. The latest CD reissues mostly clobber the original CD releases.

FuturisticWorkshop and Tristero like this.
  16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Tori Amos. Boys For Pele CD version. Different changes on US and UK versions.

The success of remixes from this album led to the album being reissued in both the US and the UK. In the US, the original version of "Talula" was replaced by "Talula (The Tornado Mix)," which incorporates a minor dance beat. In the UK, "Talula (The Tornado Mix)" replaced the original version of the song and a remix of "Professional Widow" was added to the album, immediately following the original version of the song. As a result of the extra "Professional Widow" track, the song "In the Springtime of His Voodoo" was removed completely.

Vinyl retains the original track listing incl the 2016 reissue. The new Deluxe CD goes back to the original track list with the remixes included on the bonus disk. (inf from wikipedia)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Same used on the new QRP vinyl pressings. Means the original rare vinyl is a keeper (cut from analogue tape).

Anonamemouse likes this.
  18. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Just blows my mind that they did this. Was Tori really ok with it?

19. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

My biggest beef is the replacement of Josephine on Chris Rea's Shamrock diaries album. The original version, which charted in the UK and several EU countries, was still there on the first CD release on the Magnet label, but was soon replaced by the so-called French mix (a more disco-oriented version) on subsequent CD issues from 1986 onward (on the EastWest label).

Later on, Rea re-recorded the song many times, but the original never showed up again, not even on'Best of' comps and by now had almost completely vanished from the earth. He kind of did the same thing with several other songs, like Fool (if you think it's over) and I can hear your heart beat.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Jarleboy likes this.
  20. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

UK pop-jazz outfit Matt Bianco had minor hit in several EU countries with a remix of the song More than I can bear. This single remix added Basia's background vocals to the song, including a cool acapella intro. It replaced the original version on the first CD issue of their debut album, but later versions had the Original album mix again.

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

I can't say for sure, but just out of curiosity I bought cheap copies of a Dutch, US and UK vinyl version from the 80s and they all contain the same mixes (the first ones, including the spoken word intro on IJCSLY. Hardly bullet proof of course, but it's my guess that there was only one mix released on LP versions. At least in the 80s - I can't say anything definitive about 21st century re-releases on vinyl.

radickeyfan likes this.
  22. The Clash's Inoculated City had legal trouble with the 2000 Flushes commercial, so only the original pressing had it during the 1980's... although now it's back.

23. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

Pizzicato Five's "On Her Majesty's Request" and "Soft Landing On The Moon" had alternate versions and some edits due to samples used without permission (Sympathy For The Devil is the one I can recognise but there are others).

Melon's "Deep Cut" has (quite hilarious) re-created samples on the versions of "Serious Japanese" due to uncleared samples on the originals.

Uncleared samples are the reason why several Japanese albums from the 80s and 90s will never get reissued.

RevUp64, McLover and edenofflowers like this.
  24. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

The original and later CD reissues of Rio inexplicably used different versions of Lonely In Your Nightmare and Hold Back The Rain (both previously unreleased) and the single edit of Save A Prayer. Recent deluxe editions have the correct versions plus the US remixes.

The Duran debut album when first released on CD dropped To The Shore and had Is There Something I Should Know? in its place - this is due to the US reissue of the album on vinyl using this track list. As with Rio the currently available version has the original track list - pity about the mastering. The holy grail for collectors is a 1990s German CD that includes the original album despite the cover saying it includes ITSISK.

deredordica likes this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

James - Gold Mother was reissued after Sit Down was a huge UK hit single.

Hang On and Crescendo were removed from the album, replaced with Sit Down and Lose Control. Come Home was replaced with a remix from a single of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.