Album reissues that replaced the original versions of songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by little_earthquakes90, Jun 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I thought the uncensored lines were first re-included in the 40th anniversary remixes (2007).

I don't have the album remaster but I read that the version with the kick drum is only on the compilation Deep Cuts 2.
    I could be wrong with both things though.

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Yes they are, but the original compilation used the first version, called the "album version", even though both appeared on albums "Ronda" on "Today!" and "Rhonda" on "Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)". To add to the confusion, they spelt it "Rhonda" on the Endless Summer compilation, even though it was the first version.

3. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I once bought a Four Tops album and it turned out to be a dance remix album where there was added four to the floor bass drum and all the tracks segued into each other. Oops! Ouch! Not what I'd hoped for. I took it back.

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. aravel

aravel starchitect...then, father!

...You're right: I've never have listened again that spoken intro version as the first time I listened to it was at American Top40

5. Ouisch

Ouisch Forum Resident

As far as I know, "high" was added to Break on Through and the swearing brought up in the mix at the end of The End for the first time with the 1999 remasters. The 50th anniversary version went back to the original versions of both tracks.

Yeah, the kick drum is definitely on the 40th anniversary remaster.

Man at C&A, Jarleboy and andrewskyDE like this.
  6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Interesting, never heard this before. It does have a completely different feel than the ones I'm used to.

Jarleboy and Man at C&A like this.
  7. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

The recent reissue of Celtic Frost's To Mega Therion on LP and CD replaced the original mixes of The Usurper and Jewel Throne with the versions from the Tragic Serenades 12" single.

Dudley Morris and porieux like this.
  8. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Boz Scaggs eponymous American debut (as opposed to his Swedish debut titled "Boz") found some tracks being remixed once a certain guitar player on the album achieved more notoriety in his own right... said player: Duane Allman... prefer the original mix myself...

phillyal1 likes this.
  9. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Floyd's Nice Pair combo of their debut and sophomore studio LPs has a live Gilmour-led version of "Astronomy Domine" instead of the Barrett studio take that kicks off Piper...

PhoffiFozz and Kevin j like this.
  10. pierogy

pierogy Forum Resident

of Montreal - Cherry Peel. The band withdrew the original version of their debut and re-recorded it for subsequent release.

Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans. The 2003 CD adds more than two minutes of noodling intro to The Revealing Science of God.

Mike McGear - McGear. The first CD included the non-lp single Dance the Do but they mysteriously cut out Viv Stanshall's backing vocal. There's a major reissue coming next month, so maybe they'll put it right.

11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

That came from Capitol reconstructing Piper from what they had in The Tower.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

When cd's first came out I was really annoyed that several took off the album version of a song, and put some obnoxious 12" mix on there instead.
    I can see them as bonus tracks, but hate it when they used to substitute them out.

PhoffiFozz, Jarleboy and Drifter like this.
  13. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

The original version, as on the vinyl LP, is on this compilation cd.

Chris Rea - Herzklopfen

I've got it and can confirm. I had the same views as you, so I went on the hunt!

Jarleboy and elgreco like this.
  14. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I just thank my lucky stars the ridiculous 80's remix of "Lumpy Gravy" didn't come out.

Writing lyrics to 'Duodenum'.... to promote "Thing-Fish"?! What was Frank thinking?!

15. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Oh yeah, has anyone mentioned "Tomorrow Never Knows" yet? The original mono UK "Revolver" had a unique mix, where Paul's piano playing at the end goes on longer (to him playing discordant chords, like the snippet on the Anthology DVD).

phillyal1 and andrewskyDE like this.
  16. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

He also sang a short bit of "America" from West Side Story in that same segment. Both were Stephen Sondheim songs, at least in part.

Man at C&A and Jarleboy like this.
  17. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The 1971 original (on Family Productions) and 1983 reissue (on Columbia) of Cold Spring Harbor by Billy Joel contain the same songs in the same order, but they might as well be two different albums. The reissue has songs remixed and shortened, and some have new overdubs.

The most infamous part of the 1971 original was that it was mastered too fast, thus making Billy Joel's voice higher than it should have been. The 1983 remix/reissue tried to fix this, but failed. If memory serves, only one song on the new version actually matches common pitch, and that is the instrumental "Nocturne." The rest still are not at the correct speed.

ARK, kwadguy, LivingForever and 2 others like this.
  18. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Those cheerleaders are awful. Help Me Ronda is much better too -- like it near the end when it starts to fade out then the sound level takes a dramatic jump up. And they passed on the opportunity to remove Good Vibrations which doesn't belong on the album. Get the MQA CD from Japan. It's all original.

Anyway, has Days Of Future Passed been mentioned yet? I don't know if stuff was re-recorded or just remixed. At least the original is available again and in high resolution.

Drifter likes this.
  19. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

I have that one too. It's a German import CD from circa 1986. Issued right before Chris started meddling with all these different versions. AFAIK it indeed is the only Chris Rea comp that has the original Josephine. And the original Heart beat AFAIK.

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

There were several versions of Thomas Dolby's "The Golden Age Of Wireless". The initial release did not include She Blinded Me With Science.

Thorpy and MattyRedSox like this.
  21. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I had no idea! Is the original version available on CD anywhere?

AdamChanSiuLung likes this.
  22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Aren't the Madonna remasters of her early work mostly remixes and the original mixes supposedly burned, never to be used again?

23. aravel

aravel starchitect...then, father!

::: 1986's Cutting Crew - The Broadcast /Virgin Records cassette compared against CD, has the original album versions of the 3 singles of the band: '(I Just) Died In YOur Arms', 'One For The Mockingbird' and 'Any Color'. Printed over the CD was very specific on these, that were remixed by Shelly Yakus, that made me keep both tape and CD, since those versions were known by me before buying both.

[​IMG]

UHLawdog and c-eling like this.
  24. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

Much to my chagrin. :shake:

25. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

This is probably something of a technicality, but here goes.

Jethro Tull, Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die! When Steven Wilson went to remix the album for an expanded reissue, he found that half the tapes were missing. So the centerpiece of the reissue is a re-recording of the entire album, created so the band could mime their performances on a TV special without running afoul of Musicians' Union rules.

rikki nadir likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.