Album reissues that replaced the original versions of songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by little_earthquakes90, Jun 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The backs look a little different, but no guarantee.
    The hub matrix is the best way to find it.
    Original will have the regular SRC. The revision a RE
    Left being the first run. Both carry the same barcode.
    [​IMG]

Jarleboy and AlmanacZinger like this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Josh Joplin Band --> Group
    1999-->2000
    4 tunes were re-done. 1 dropped and replaced
    [​IMG]
    Shame this was dropped, great tune :)

3. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

As far as I know, the original Gaelic lyric version of "Book of Days" only appears on those first CD pressings of Shepherd Moons. I don't think it has appeared on any CD compilations. I think the only way to differentiate between a first pressing and later pressing is to look at the CD running time because the English language version of "Book of Days" is about 20 seconds longer. I realize that this information isn't always available if you're going through the used CD section of a physical record store, or searching online, but perhaps you will be able to find out.

I don't consider myself to be an Enya expert, but hopefully someone who knows more will see your original question and offer a better answer.

4. pierogy

pierogy Forum Resident

Lumpy Gravy 84 did come out on the 2008 Lumpy Money Box. That was such a treasure trove of archival stuff that there was no room on three discs for the 1967 originals of either Gravy or We're Only In It For The Money.

The re-release of Sleep Dirt added female vocals to three tracks that were from the Hunchentoot musical.

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

David Thomas did things like that in the "Monster" box and also in the Pere Ubu "Datapanik In The Year Zero" 1996 cd box where he replaced "Arabia" on "The Art Of Walking" by a vocal-less "Arabia". He also omitted songs.

Michael Gira messed with certain Swans titles on various cd reissues during the 90's. Throwing albums together without making clear what came from where, kicking out songs.

Thankfully both men seem to be over it!

Not a fan of artists that consider their stuff as "work in progress". :shake:

rikki nadir and phillyal1 like this.
  6. While not exactly a reissue, play the US false start version of I'm Looking Through You from Rubber Soul for the average British fan and they'll be perplexed...

phillyal1 likes this.
  7. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

The first CD of PL I bought had the Best of Blondie mix of “Heart of Glass” which I do not like at all. Strange that the back of the CD erroneously lists it as “Disco Version.”

8. porieux

porieux plook me now you savage rascal

DJ Assault re-recorded his classic track Ass-N-Titties and the new super lame version is the only one that you can find on streaming services..

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Similarly, when I first listened to the Beatles I had the red Hard Day's Night soundtrack album, but not Something New, so for me "I'll Cry Instead" with the extra repeated first verse is the normal version.

MattyRedSox likes this.
  10. And the US version of Help from the LP and from 62-66 confuses them with the Bond intro.

phillyal1 likes this.
  11. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Really? Why bother re-recording that? (I'm curious to hear if the new version is the one that went viral.)

12. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I prefer the original -- more like a rock record of it's time, less like a "billy Joel ' record .

13. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Here’s something I could never figure out. Billy Joel’s Greatest Hit vol 1 & 2. I ripped a cd version of this years ago to put on my iPod and has a version of Say Goodbye to Hollywood and Just the Way You are that are different than every version I’ve heard since then.

The thing is I don’t know what cd version I had since its long gone. I prefer the one that is on my iPod because it’s what I’m used to but I wonder if anyone have any info on what changed on this album.

Jarleboy and bataclan2002 like this.
  14. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I was walking down the street and "Say It Ain't So" popped up in my head, and I thought "I have to check when I'm home if it was mentioned in the remix thread!".

15. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

on the recent Tusk remaster
    I know I'm not wrong is an Inferior version in place of the original. It has a weaker guitar solo imo.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  16. MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey Forum Resident

For some reason the UK CD release of Paul Young's No Parlez contained inferior remixes compared with the original UK vinyl. Was the original album ever released on CD in its unadulterated form?

17. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

It was the other way around for me. I grew up hearing the remix (with a new vocal) that was done for Kate's Greatest Hits on the radio. I didn't know it was a remix then. I first heard "The Kick Inside" as a teenager and was surprised to hear how the original "Wuthering Heights" sounded, especially vocally!

bataclan2002 likes this.
  18. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Now we've all heard the long discussed and anticipated full versions of "Sweet Jane" and "New Age" on newer editions of the Velvet Underground's "Loaded", I'd quite like to be able to go back to listening to the edited versions as heard on the original release - that seems to be impossible now.

19. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The mono Something New has the extra repeated verse.

20. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

There’s plenty of the old CDs out there.

Dodoz likes this.
  21. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

You know what I mean though.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  22. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

Barry Manilow's debut album was originally released as Barry Manilow in 1973, but was re-released as Barry Manilow 1 in 1975. Some of the songs on "1" were remixed.

The CD reissue of Peter Paul and Mary uses an alternate take of "This Train."

Gordon Lightfoot's Gord's Gold Vol. 1 CD excludes "Affair On 8th Avenue" from its song lineup (was on the original 1975 vinyl release, though).

Solly Bridgetower and Jarleboy like this.
  23. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Not merely remixed, but re-recorded. "Could It Be Magic" has a completely different vocal on the Bell (1973) and Arista (1975) album versions.

24. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

Ahh, thanks for the clarification! I've never actually a/b'd the two albums, so I wasn't aware. Will have to try & pick up a copy of the original so I can compare them.

Jarleboy and bataclan2002 like this.
  25. Tord

Tord Forum Resident

The twofer of the Temptations albums Cloud 9 and Puzzle People uses the radio edit of Runaway Child, Running Wild instead of the original album version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.