Albums are dead.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

BINGO!

2. jconsolmagno

Are you aware of how much data centers cost us? Not much difference.

3. jconsolmagno

What car was it?

4. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

We are correct. Think of it as sense, and not surrender.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  5. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

You mean 11:30. :)

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Just read this weeks Billboard number one album sets the record for lowest physical sales....1000 units. Pretty unbelievable.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

oops, running late. the wife will have to wait a night :love:

dont know but I read in a 2021 40 percent of all new cars will be sans cd players....ugh. in fact why bother with an actual radio? no one uses that. just disconnect that as well and just wire us all up to apple music! :help: :biglaugh:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Timmy84, mark winstanley and Pop_Zeus like this.
  8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I lean more towards @Danby Delight in regards to LP costs - usually in the $16 to $19 range, in general. Occasional into the low to mid 20's if it's a 2LP set.

The CD and download options are still cheaper of course, so new LP's are purchased as more of a premium item for things I really want on that format.

9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

When my boss gets me a new vehicle, some time in the next two years, he knows a cd player is a prerequisite .... because he knows if it doesn't have one, I will put one in it :)

10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

If an LP is 5 or 6 bucks more than the cd, and I feel I really need it on vinyl, I'll buy it. But when LP's are sometimes twice the price of a cd I'll skip it.

troggy, Graham, Timmy84 and 2 others like this.
  11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I'm happy to keep my LP's, I just like that nostalgia feeling of putting on a record. I don't buy vinyl anymore, simply because, for the price they want for them, I have had too many disappointments .... I never had the same problem back in the eighties, they were consistently good, but for some reason a lot of the new vinyl is very inconsistent ... to my ears at least

12. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Bingo. Different culture entirely.

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

My buddy has been looking for a CD of Wings' "At The Speed Of Sound" CD...and CD, and he doesn't like ordering from the internet, and he won't buy downloads or stream. He's very old school in his mid-40s! I finally found one copy of the Abbey Road remaster for him at Zia's in Tempe last night. I also looked for the "Flowers In The Dirt" remaster for him, but only found two copies of the older late 80s CD, so I bought that for him too. I guess i'd better tell him that if he wants "Red Rose Speedway" and "Wild Life", he's better buy them now.

14. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Again... let me repeat myself: dude. had. no. CDs. produced. Just iTunes and Spotify. That's about it. :) That's why it's low. And it's coming from a rap act.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  15. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

I think most buy LP's for the hipster angle. Otherwise, most still buy CDs if they really want physical music. Which is why the industry realized they can't simply get rid of them. The industry was running too slow on changes and when they do try to change, it's always produced disastrous results. But LPs do add to sales. So that's why I think all these different formats will even out in the future.

mark winstanley likes this.
  16. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

For sure - it does certainly depending on new/used, audiophile/original pressings vs reissues, genre, condition of records, etc. Not sure what most vinyl newbies are after these days or whether they actually care as much about sound quality of each album as we do on this forum. Being more into older artists from the 50 through 70s, and heavily into Jazz, it makes it hard to hit the $20 price range most of the time, especially if looking for NM condition. My bank account would sure be happy if I liked Andy Williams more than Miles Davis :righton:

Ricardo Perfecto likes this.
  17. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I like having physical media, so I buy cd's, but at this point my purchase has more to do with supporting the artist than it does anything else. I like to think that the artist is getting a few pennies more from an actual sale as opposed to me streaming their work. But honestly, once I have the cd and have checked out the liner notes and lyrics, I'll usually just pull the album up on Spotify and listen that way.
    Example: my copies of the new Deerhunter and Sharon Van Etten cd's aren't here yet, and I've been happily listening to them on Spotify since Friday.

18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, the artist wasn’t the point at all. It was that 1000 units was enough to make it to the top. Format and artist wasn’t relevant. I guess you only need to sell, what, 4 copies to make it to number 50 this week? Remember back in the day the upper end of the chart had sales in the six figures. I wonder how many copies a good selling vinyl album moves after it’s been out three months. That would be a very interesting number since that seems to be the physical format that’s now moving.

Grant likes this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That’s what I would tell him. I’m really interested in knowing how many CD copies they make of something like this. (Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if you knew the answer)! At least on vinyl they would probably sell for a long time as new people will probably be continuing to enter the vinyl market as they buy new turntables. CD’s likely experience the bulk of their sales during the pre-order and first couple of weeks out.

Grant likes this.
  20. cali98

cali98 Active Member

I'm pretty sure the CD is almost dead. The vinyl will survive and live long time. The Cd, you take it and once into the player it's all digital... the vinyl is visible when playing... you see it, you change tracks manually... for most people the compressed sound is enough and the CD brings for them a so subtle superior sound quality that makes no such difference; then the physical media is uncomfortable... against hundred of songs at your finger... and lot of free space in the living room. but for the ones that we love the physical media the "return" of the vinyl is a dream... and as industry found it's easy to use the hipster angle and sell vinyls at higher price they will focus on that market instead of the Cd one. The CDs nowdays are bought, and sooner or later later ripped and listened in PCs, mobile phones and streamers.... the CD case then stays untouchable endlessly. I was never able to afford a system that could justify to collect vinyls, only a few for sentimental reasons to listen at friends houses only. But could love to change my music collection to vinyls. maybe i got to stop buying music to buy equip... not easy.... love music so much. I don't expect comments on this, it's just my thought and wanted to share.

21. Ricardo Perfecto

Ricardo Perfecto Forum Resident

You think tens of millions of people bought OK Computer? Millions yes, but TENS? You’re dreaming.

22. Ricardo Perfecto

The only time he listens to music is when he strides into the office each morning playing “Walking on Sunshine” on his Walkman.

not to mention that for most boxes like this the great majority would be sold by Amazon and other online retailers these days

23. Ricardo Perfecto

The market is small in China-almost all downloading and of course pirate stuff.
    Japan has the second highest music market in the world, and is much more attached to physical product. I don’t think there are any other Asian countries with strong physical markets. Korea of course has a huge music business but I think knots mainly streaming

starduster likes this.
  24. Ricardo Perfecto

He doesn’t have to: just as he lets Adam Smith’s invisible hand of market forces choose the best 25 Spoon songs for him, he can quickly check the sales on any album to eliminate any that have not sold many millions to become LEGENDARY. Is an album has not become part of the collective pop culture hive mind it cannot he truly great.

Andrew J likes this.
  25. Ricardo Perfecto

To be fair, even during peak physical sales eras ple try of people with number one albums were broke: the artist paid for massive recording and promotional cost, and from the eighties video clips and tour support, all of which was recouped solely from their tiny split of overall revenues before they saw any money beyond their advance and a lousy living expense allowance. It could take several successful albums to see real money. Of course these days several successful albums are likely to make you little money so things have changed: the lottery odds are even worse then before and the prizes smaller.

Bassist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.