Albums are dead.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

I don't think they do.

2. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

But everybody is Sparticus!

GoodKitty, bvb1123 and Timmy84 like this.
  3. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I see this as a natural progression. I am a product of my times/generation so of course I want to 'own' my music. That said, the world's landfills are full to the brim with our crap. I am glad we are moving towards non physical format for our electronic entertainment.

4. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Depends on what genre you're into. It's a great time for those into rap, hip-hop, EDM, maybe even jazz or big band for all I know. But for Rock and Alternative, it's just awful.

And for you to make the assumption that a streamer and XM listener such as myself is "too lazy to look for it" is quite condescending, I'm out there listening to Alt Nation in my car and I'm clicking on new music recommendations in Apple Music and it all sounds like watered down Radiohead or Tame Impala and I've got enough of those two bands.

5. manco

manco Forum Resident Thread Starter

Perhaps I was being facetious. Napster & iTunes basically killed the music industry the way we understood it up until the year 2000. Now it's just super official. I think well run labels like KScope, Dead Oceans, 4AD will do well in this environment. Also there's bandcamp and the fact that artists can self upload to streaming services and not share any profits.

RIP Music Industry(1955-2019)
    Long Live Music(2019-forever)

6. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

You can never have enough Radiohead.

7. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Music is subjective. Most "hip-hop" music released is watered down trap crap.

Vinyl_Blues and RSteven like this.
  8. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

The "industry" died in 2000. Not 2019. You clearly said that yourself. :)

9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

that's cool. It emphasises where I am coming from though. People will always like music, in one form or another, but so far as being a consumed industry, it has been devalued so much people don't even want it anymore. Download or stream the flavour of the month and move on next month. Hardly an encouraging sign for future artists, or even current ones

RSteven and Shak Cohen like this.
  10. schnitzerphilip

The Alternative and Rock genres have run out of material. I'm not into drugs or the festival scene, so what those two genres have morphed into is of no interest to me. I keep waiting for the Next Great Band to emerge a-la U2 back in the day or Radiohead back in the day and it looks like that messiah is never coming back, every chord has been written, every riff has been stolen, every verse has been plagiarized, it's dead. The old stuff lives on- thank god for that. But new music? RIP.

KingPrawn19 likes this.
  11. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I don't even understand why saying "the album is dead" is controversial in 2019. It's not that great albums are not being released but rather to popular artists and their fans the album is a second or third consideration to the track and the playlist.

And I say that as a huge fan of albums as works of art.

12. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

It's not controversial, just exaggerated. Since most folks in the business who are popular don't focus on making albums in the first place.

13. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Another death thread...
    Everything is dead. What are we doing here.

14. schnitzerphilip

What's a record store?

15. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Sounds like the problem is on your end, then. It's not the music's fault that you're bored.

16. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Dead men blogging. :)

Diamond Dog, Shak Cohen and fenderesq like this.
  17. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Wow... rock and alternative are "dead"? You guys are looking in the wrong places.

I can't keep up with all the new rock coming out! Been to two sold out shows of solid rock over the weekend. I got such a backlog of new music to check out, it's not even funny.

Again, you people are looking in the wrong places. Check out this blog, for starters:

Faster and Louder

For bands, check out the Schizophonics, The Connection, Wyldlife, The Volcanics (Aussie band), The Bassics, Creepy Creeps, and Len Price 3. And that's for starters.

Tons of great blogs out there. Maybe I should start one too!

18. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

In long run, we're all moving toward a non-physical format.

In the meantime, I've got records to play and discs to spin.

wrappedinsky, Newton John and RSteven like this.
  19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

20. schnitzerphilip

Sure it is.

If no one is buying Rock or Alternative in numbers large enough to warrant a record company to fund the production of a 16 song album and instead they just release scattered singles it's because there isn't enough quality music to justify it. The good tracks are boring therefore the filler tracks would be more boring therefore no album is made as it's a waste of corporate investment.

Look at a popular group like Maroon 5 for example, they'd be considered very successful by today's standards. They exploded on the scene in 2002 and have released....wait for it.....6 albums. That's 18 years for those playing at home, and only 6 times have they had enough material to create an album. Is that because as artists they have dried up? Or is it the fact that releasing just one single every year is enough to keep the brand alive and keep the revenue stream intact while sparing us the awful album filler that surely would have transpired if they'd released 10 albums in that span instead of the paltry 6 they gave us? Is Maroon 5 still relevant because all the other music around it, old and new, is so boring that they stand out and sound fresh to this day?

The Rock/Alternative genre has it even harder than the Pop genre that Maroon 5 is in and they rely on the album format which is dead and so both are dead.

KingPrawn19 likes this.
  21. nodeerforamonth

Yeah. I've NEVER subscribed to the theory that mainstream charts mean quality. So "rock" not being on it and selling means absolutely nothing to me. Even Nirvana and Van Halen started out playing dorm parties and dinky clubs. The next Nirvana and Van Halen could be played at the club across the street and you'll never know if you don't get out.

Brian Lux likes this.
  22. pmc7070

pmc7070 Forum Resident

I listen to Radio Dead quite often!

[​IMG]

Stone Turntable likes this.
  23. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Everybody just chooses to stream now, so that is why albums are dead.

24. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Thank god they are dead, because if they were alive they'd all have run away from me by now :D

25. nodeerforamonth

Recording is dirt cheap these days. I've heard quality recordings by great bands that were recorded in closets.

Distribution is also dirt cheap on the internet. You want thousands of people to know about your band? With a click of a button, you can reach millions of potential fans. Compared to the old days when you had to put out fliers and ads in fanzines to let people know about you band. Today you can reach the same amount of people in seconds with a click of a button on YouTube or bandcamp.

Fullbug and HotelYorba101 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.