Albums are dead.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

This is a thread asking if the album is dead and, if so, why. The answers to which are, yes, and streaming.

If someone asks me a question I feel that I owe them an answer. It would be discourteous to stand next to someone at a party, be asked a question, and walk away. So if it feels like I'm posting too much, I'm actually just being polite.

Devin likes this.
  2. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

3. schnitzerphilip

Schnitzerphilip has his fans. And most of them are people like you who want to say the uncomfortable things but aren't brave enough to do so.

Either way, I represent the crossroads of a new millennial streamer and a baby booming physical owner. And I'm happy living in both worlds. Eventually, you all will too, you will have no choice, all it's going to take is one big artist and one big label to announce they aren't releasing CD's anymore and it's all over.

So follow along with my experiences, learn a thing or two about the new tech options, and prepare to be assimilated.

4. schnitzerphilip

Respectfully, I live for the next epic album. The albums that have moved me emotionally are of course my absolute favorites.

But these days I go decades without being offered one so I've just given up. It's not me. It's the artists. They just don't have it in them anymore. Or, perhaps, their labels won't allow them to release 12 fantastic songs all at once. Or, perhaps, the artists know they make their money on touring so its smarter to spread out those 12 songs over 4 years and milk it for all the concert ticket and t-shirt revenue they can.

Not sure what happened, but a single 12 song disc where every track can move you to tears of joy just doesn't get made anymore.

5. schnitzerphilip

For the record, anyone can listen to whatever they like. Mono, stereo, orignal vinyl, Kelloggs cereal box cutout, whatever.

What I don't like are people who think they are better than others because their equipment is older or they think the pressings they listen to are more expressive than the ones everyone else is listening to. That type of elitism doesn't rub me the right way.

6. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I haven't read the whole thread, but what the hell is all this talk about Modern Dad? Is it a reality show?

Bolero and Devin like this.
  7. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Might want to reconsider your theoretical clarity.
    First binge is on me.

8. Devin

Devin Time's Up

In a sense, yes.

9. Dr. Luther's Assistant

:laugh:

10. schnitzerphilip

Never heard of her but I own every song she's ever made.

I just gave her latest long player the 10 second test and it seems a bit too esoteric for me. I'd give it another try but it goes against my philosophy of "growers". I find that growers are bad albums that I've allowed others to convince me are good.

11. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Too esoteric? Nonsense. It's totally accessible. Grabbed me on first listen. Looks like Modern Dad isn't quite as modern as he wishes to appear. But carry on nonetheless. Your shtick is still somewhat amusing. For the moment.

12. schnitzerphilip

That makes sense on paper. But I can't host an after hours cocktail party with my posh friends and spin Revolver.

Here There And Everywhere is breathtaking, She Said She Said is cool. Yellow Submarine that sits between them on Side A? Can you imagine? CEO's and board members being forced to listen to Yellow Submarine? I can see them now in their Louboutin loafers and Rolex Daytona's. "We all live in a Yellow Submarine, a Yellow Submarine, a Yellow Submarine....", even the hired help would be laughing. At us.

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Nothing gets a cocktail party jumping like Here There and Everywhere.

Buddybud and Diamond Dog like this.
  14. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Hmmm! I don't live in the rarified world of CEO's and board members, just lowly musicians, each of which will have their own opinion as to what is laughable or not.

Buddybud likes this.
  15. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

If you find one, give'em a set of these:

[​IMG]

D.D.

Freedom Rider likes this.
  16. Diamond Dog

And yet both Tayor Swift and Roger Waters continue to shift units. Go figure...

D.D.

17. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

I keep reading about Modern Dad are they any good? Can’t find then the Spotify!

18. Diamond Dog

Really ? Because it seems more and more to be a thread about you.

I'd be fine with you being rude.

D.D.

Buddybud likes this.
  19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Diamond Dog likes this.
  20. Diamond Dog

This is just a verbose version of this :

Trolling ? Sure.
    Tedious ? More so all the time.
    Modern Dad is just an uptown version of Broshfab4. Both sitting in a barcalounger railing at modern music for letting them down. One barcalounger upholstered in tweed and one barcalounger appointed in rich Corinthian leather.
    Which, not unlike Modern Dad, does not actually exist...

D.D.

Schoolmaster Bones likes this.
  21. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

22. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Not sure why you're lumping me in with the 'either/or' crowd as I'm a 'best of both worlds' kind of person myself, as I've stated repeatedly here. Also, while I agree with you somewhat when you talk about 'format elitism' (it does rub me the wrong way sometimes), I don't understand why you resent the idea of people enjoying their freedom of choice. Why the glee over the possibility of people being robbed of it?

[​IMG]

23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

They are very different albums in terms of genre. I wouldn’t say that I love them - certainly not the way I loved music when I was a teenager - but I’ve enjoyed them.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I can understand that. But, when this site first started, it was at least partly devoted to finding the best sounding pressings of certain titles. That kind of discussion can have some value. Now, if people are extolling the virtues of some expensive old 1950’s pressing i’ll never own, I do feel a little resentful. But, I’m not sure that the discussion is necessarily “elitist”, at least in my view.

25. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

Great point - It is certainly possible that albums may have songs thrown just to complete the album at a certain play time, even with the artist's complicity.

BUT In these days... and not only in these days, also in the past, certain kind of music... "fan" calls/called "filler" ANYTHING that is not the HIT SINGLE. Know many people like that now and knew them in the past. First they were 45s fans, then they made mix tapes, first from albums, then from CDs, then they went to Napster, iTunes and now Spotify and others. To me, not music fans, but fans of pure entertainment.

v

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.