Albums are dead.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

There is no foreseeable end to the album.
    Otherwise bands wouldn't be releasing them.

Apologies if my statement offended you, but you just keep rattling on about albums are dead, but they are still being made, people are still buying them, and all points in the foreseeable future suggest they aren't going anywhere. So it seems from my perspective that you are rationalizing your perspective in spite of no obvious evidence to the contrary.

If people are still making them, and people are still buying them, by definition, they cannot be dead

2. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Rattling on is not what I was doing either.
    Believe me, I would love for albums and CD's to remain available forever, but that is wishful thinking.
    I am not sure how well researched this article from Forbes is or will it overload your "rattling on" threshold, but it is definitely interesting.
    The Music Album Is Dead, But Not Everyone's Accepted It Yet

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  3. mark winstanley

I suggest you stop reading hyperbolic "gotcha" media articles.
    I bought more albums this year than I ever have. The vast majority, released this year, and at least 12 brand new, never before released albums.
    There are a plethora that I haven't got the time to explore ....
    So I won't give the article the time of day, because it doesn't reflect the reality around me.
    If by some miracle albums cease being made, I will become a rich man :)

vinyl diehard likes this.
  4. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

So, you have some guy who writes for a magazine saying “It's time for artists, bands and record labels to give in to the fact that we live in a singles world and an album just isn't the product that consumers are looking for.”
    And that’s that?

no.nine, YardByrd and mark winstanley like this.
  5. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

That's odd I just a record at Barnes and Noble today. Like two hours ago.

6. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

So its fake news? Where have I heard that before? Forbes don't do fake news or hyperbole.
    Its actually called journalism.

7. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

There is a tendency on this forum to confuse "less popular than before," "now niche rather than mainstream," or "not trending upward at the moment" with "dead."

Alan57, WLL and RudolphS like this.
  8. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

An 85% dip in 20 years is a big dip.

KingPrawn19 and schnitzerphilip like this.
  9. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

There is very little demand for new music from Sheryl Crow, whether it be albums or singles, and her sales figures prove it. Young people certainly aren’t listening to her music.

10. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

Sure, there is no question there has been a huge change in the way people listen to/consume music in the last 20 years. All I am saying that niche markets matter and what the next 20 years will bring is no more obvious to us in 2019 than it was in 1999.

11. mark winstanley

There hasn't been journalism of any value since it became more important to sell news, than report it.

no.nine and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

My point, as always, is that you have no idea what you’re talking about. As James Brown said, “talking loud, and saying nothing.”

R. Cat Conrad likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

Take the line back to the fifties ... albums were never big sellers prior to the album explosion of the seventies, and the cd revolution....
    There is no logical reason to stop making albums/batches/collections of music.

It would be financially ridiculous to send your artist to the studio to record 1 song, because set up is normally the biggest task.... once you're set up, you record some songs, not 1. That would be moronic.

14. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

As a business technology publication, Forbes Magazine has served me invaluably for the last 20 years as a systems software engineer. This is the first time I have heard it described as hyperbolic.

15. mark winstanley

Dilligaf
    That article, at present, is nonsense.

16. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Since it is not a video conference, I don't know whether yllygaf.

17. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Imagine if this had been post # 2.

77 pages of back and forth instantaneously prevented by this diamond-bright bit of inarguable observation. Think of what we would have missed, all of it culminating in Schnitzerphilip's invocation of the term "fetch ".
    Because Modern Dad is "down" with " the youth", one would assume. And, because "the youth " are apparently not "down " with " Sheryl Crow ", we start seeing sweeping grandiosities like " The Album Is Dead " being flung into the air by frontrunners hoping their sloganeering will catch some wind beneath its wings. At the same time, the iconoclasts hunker down in their rhetorical trench, ready to fight till the last cartridge is expended and then bayonets will be fixed to defend their counterpoint that rumours of the death of the album have been at least somewhat exaggerated...

Captivating.

D.D.

18. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

(Footnote: AND THEY MADE CARL'S JR. DROP THE T&A COMMERCIALS, TOO! Buncha SJWs:cry::eek:.)

... Those DANGED millenials:mad::blah::cussing:! Isn't it bad enough that they're killing off Sears, K-Mart, and Radio Shack??:rant: WHEN WILL IT END:realmad::wantsome:???????????

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  19. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Well.........
    In the 50s, the sales of the " My Fair Lady " OCA and Fred Waring's " Joy To The World " LPsw not hurt by the fact that the zeitgeist was with Elvis Presley 45s! My parents owned the first two, had none of the latter.

KingPrawn19 likes this.
  20. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

[​IMG]

I took this photo a few weeks ago at one of the biggest volume Bed Bath & Beyond retail stores. Big name artist. Popular with hipsters, millennials, college kids, etc.

This is the state of the album in 2019. $4.99 at a housewares store checkout next to happy little tree mints.

Fullbug and KingPrawn19 like this.
  21. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

If 85% of people listening to music are Streaming.

-and-

If 85% of Streamers are listening to Mood Playlists or randomly served songs.

-then-

The album surely is dead.

It's not about plastic CD's or vinyl records. It's about a tired format that says "you will purchase and listen to 14 songs by this artist at this moment". That is what an album is. And that doesn't exist anymore. People don't listen to music this way anymore. Haven't for 10 years. It's only coming to your attention now because Streaming data is confirming what we already knew back during the iTunes download/playlist era of cherry-picking and "no duds" attitudes.

Hermes and KingPrawn19 like this.
  22. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

This is an interesting thread. Albums are dead? Tell that to the 4 albums I've purchased in the last week alone!

mark winstanley likes this.
  23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Internet twist : several of the posters in this thread have no idea who JT is.

All Down The Line likes this.
  24. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

So you shop at bed bath and beyond. #coolstorybro

25. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

And only them right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.