Albums known to have been released against the artist's explicit will

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dondy, Jul 16, 2020.

1. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

The Bang tracks are still being recycled to this day (together with the throwaway tracks Van recorded to get out of his contract) on cheapo albums with titles like Brown Eyed Girl, Greatest Hits, The Early Years, Super Hits and suchlike. Compared to these the T.B. Sheets album seems quite classy and has a decent cover.

2. newelectricmuse

"Attempted cash-in" I should have said!

Michael Macrone likes this.
  3. newelectricmuse

Yes, talk about misleading!

4. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Cut The Crap: The Ultimate Clash Collection
    Mardi Gras: CCR's Greatest Hits
    (although I actually really like Mardi Gras)
    Think Visual: The Very Best Of The Kinks
    Never Let Me Down: David Bowie's Classics
    Down In The Groove: The Essential Bob Dylan

All these and many more coming soon from Curb Records...

ARK, TimeWarper, goodiesguy and 2 others like this.
  5. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Three great albums for the record.

6. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

7. Billchi_11

Billchi_11 What would DBoon do?

Knowing how Bobby can hold a grudge, I was always surprised he went back to Columbia

8. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Add Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture, Fame & Fashion and Rare to the list. All released after Bowie jumped ship at RCA...

phillyal1 likes this.
  9. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Yes and perhaps even Changes Two. What about K-Tel's The Best of Bowie. Although Italian record company executive and Head of International A&R Carlo Basile personally admonished me for labeling Rare (1982) a tatty affair and released without Bowie's consent. Carlo made it clear that he received the full approval from DB upon release of Rare - so all credit to Carlo and RCA for putting this interesting collection together. He's actually a super chap.

McLover and phillyal1 like this.
  10. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

I don't think Bowie had a great deal to do with the release of this little gem:

[​IMG]

It's actually one of the first Bowie albums I ever had, and introduced me to all sorts of classics: Lodger, Diamond Dogs, PinUps, Aladdin Sane and "Heroes" for god's sake. Job done little know compilation Chameleon (1979), although I dare say Bowie probably not thrilled with the album cover.

11. InStepWithTheStars

That's a curious track list, but the cover's actually pretty creative (if obviously cheap). No "Sound And Vision", but instead "V-2 Schneider"? A bit like a Stones comp with no "Jumpin' Jack Flash", but "Prodigal Son" instead. Interesting choice, I guess.

Library Eye and Mother like this.
  12. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

not to mention the complete goose-step over two key mid-70s album Young Americans and Station to Station. The back cover is pretty good too.

[​IMG]

jeffd7030, Library Eye and Sserber like this.
  13. InStepWithTheStars

Well hey, when you started buying the real albums, you needed some surprises, eh?

Going back to the compilations mentioned before - as someone just falling in love with the RCA CDs, I'm glad Fame And Fashion came out, because the West German CD is, by a huge margin, the best digital source for "Changes". All other CDs are from bad tapes, compressed, badly EQ'd, digitally edited, what have you. (Avoid the US CD! It sucks!)

I've yet to find a good use for Golden Years, though.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Mother likes this.
  14. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

thanks for the tip!

15. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Yeah, Lind was pissed off that Verve/Folkways did such a sloppy job of overdubbing his demos, but he had to be also pissed off about the ugly artwork:
    Actual photo:
    [​IMG]
    The Elusive Bob Lind artwork:
    [​IMG]

I recently got the album, and while some of the overdubs ("Cool Summer" is especially out of sync...) are horrendously clumsy, overall it's not the really S#!tshow Lind claims it to be. Most of it is pretty listenable.

goodiesguy and Folknik like this.
  16. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

It doesn't matter - he got to put The Beatles into a post no matter how irrelevant :winkgrin:

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  17. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

He couldn’t open his mouth to complain, because they stuffed it with gold.

Lost In The Flood and WMTC like this.
  18. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Jimmy Webb’s debut album Jim Webb Sings Jim Webb was a bunch of piano demos with a band overdubbed and tossed onto the marketplace after he’d become a Grammy—winning ‘name’ songwriter.

He refuses to sign copies of the album that people bring to him after concerts.

19. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

The Stones didn't want Metamorphosis released, but it was part of their legal settlement with ABKCO. Wyman got involved to try to compile the best album possible (out of what was available in the vault) but Klein rejected the version Wyman submitted (with the working title of "Black Box"). Why? Because it was mostly cover songs, and Klein (caring far more about money than quality or authenticity) replaced most of Wyman's cover song selections with Jagger/Richards compositions (that Klein now owned) despite the fact that most of them (as included on side one of Metamorphosis) were not even Stones recordings, but rather demos recorded by Mick (with session musicians) of Jagger/Richards songs being given away for other acts to record. Side two of Metamorphosis actually was the Stones (mostly late sixties tracks when they stuck more to originals than covers and they had some actual Jagger/Richards written/Stones recorded outtakes in the vault to include)....and according to the Wyman compiled "Black Box" tracklist I saw, it included ZERO Wyman written songs, while the released Metamorphosis had one - recorded in 1969.

20. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

"Cool Summer" and "Wandering" and :"Black Night" are pretty good. But that has to be the worst-sounding cover of "The Times They Are a-Changing" I have ever heard - apart from the fact that we really did not need yet another recording of that song.

geo50000 likes this.
  21. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

A few Rolling Stones ones of the top of my head;

Stone Age
    Gimme Shelter
    Rock 'n' Rolling Stones
    Milestones
    No Stone Unturned
    30 Greatest Hits
    Solid Rock
    Collectors Only
    Slow Rollers
    Story Of The Stones
    Precious Stones
    Golden Album
    Your Poll Winners
    Golden Prize
    Rolling Tickets
    Best Live History
    Deluxe
    Compack
    Big Stones
    Rolling Berries
    Golden History
    Gather No Moss
    Superdisc
    Oldies But Goodies
    Who's Standing In The Shadows?
    Olympic Sessions
    RCA Sessions
    Chess Sessions
    Discover Stones
    Get Stoned
    Rolled Gold
    Rolled Gold 2
    Metamorphosis
    Hot Rocks
    More Hot Rocks

TimeWarper and Library Eye like this.
  22. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Not an album, but a track.... Pink Floyds song Embryo was included on the Harvest sampler Picnic without their consent. The track was recorded as a demo, but EMI deemed it worthy of inclusion and put it on the album... needless to say, the Floyd weren't happy

Lost In The Flood and supernaut like this.
  23. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

A former housemate had a Creedence Clearwater album that was obviously some kind of unauthorised release. I don't remember what it was called, but the cover showed them riding in a cable car. I think it was a black and white cover.

It wasn't very good sound, but I think he was the type of person who would not have cared how good or bad the sound was, as long as it "rocked".

24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's a fairly good impression! I presume that the Doctor was involved in some way though (piano?)

25. cdnostalgia

cdnostalgia Forum Resident

I suppose it would be cheating to include the likes of all the unauthorised Frank Sinatra compilations and other for those eras that have come out with recent copyright expiration in the UK?

Charity shops are drowning in them.