Albums known to have been released against the artist's explicit will

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dondy, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Zombie Dodge

Zombie Dodge Forum Resident

Prince actually re-signed with Warner Brothers shortly before his death!

Lost In The Flood and c-eling like this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Must of been after he put a gag order/cease and desist on this.
    A few got out however.
    [​IMG]

3. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Agree! I got in for 50 cents in a cut-out bin in 1975 before I knew the history behind it. For me, it has an atmosphere that flashes me back to the time and place when I first heard it, so for that, it's a pleasant listening experience, and there are some good songs. Whether it was deliberate or just randomly sequenced, despite the out of sync overdubs, "Black Night", "White Snow", and "Cool Summer" as the last 3 songs on Side 1 form sort of a "nature trilogy" of the type of songs that John Denver would be writing some years later.

geo50000 likes this.
  4. ReggieNJ

ReggieNJ Forum Resident

Beck's Golden Feelings was reissued on CD without permission. Only 2000 were made before he put a stop to it.

Cippi likes this.
  5. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Those throwaway tracks are hilarious, though. Jokey as they are, some of them actually contain early examples of the type of vocal improvisations he would develop later. I always heard "Ringworm" as a spoof of "TB Sheets" (Like "I wrote a song about one disease. How about another one?"). Van knew exactly what he was doing when he made that tape to give them the "album" they said he owed them. Lucky for him, they let him out of his contract before they listened to the recordings. However, the last laugh was on Van. He probably never dreamed at the time that those piss-takes would actually be released.

6. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Sebastian was under MGM by contract. He had no say over his material to Reprise until it was timed out. Coppum' n Robbum' was what he called the deal he signed in 1965. He even signed off his publishing for some stupid amount. Koppelman was brilliant, Mr. Rubin too.

7. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Pete Cosey was in Rotary Connection?

DTK likes this.
  8. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Wanna buy my copy? Still in shrink wrap.

9. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

As a session musician. Pete Cosey and Rotary Connection that is.

supernaut likes this.
  10. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

I thought he did that when they were told there would be session musicians on Headquarters.

11. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Doesn't that fall into the same category as Muddy Waters' Electric Mud? - ie, management/label-sponsored projects with a view to connecting a veteran artist to the 'stoner' crowd who were fans of the artists they themselves had inspired?

Neither the Wolf nor Waters enjoyed the experience, but they showed willing. I've not heard the Wolf album but I like Electric Mud quite a bit.

Lost In The Flood and DTK like this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Out of the vinyl game now but thanks away....

13. Zombie Dodge

Zombie Dodge Forum Resident

A variation on this: when Alanis Morissette got big with Jagged Little Pill, she took legal action to prevent her early-nineties Canadian teenybopper albums from being released in the United States.

Lost In The Flood and ARK like this.
  14. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I'd have to check my Wolf and Waters biographies to confirm, but I believe that's basically true. Target the younger generation with both releases.

All Down The Line likes this.
  15. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

I think ChangesTwo was at least partially authorised as he did do a video for its lead single, 'Wild Is The Wind' in 1982.

16. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Who would have thunk that 'You Say France and I'll Whistle' would end up on It's Too Late To Stop Now ?

Folknik likes this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The backing tracks were ones that he'd been part of, but the sessions with the imposter were done without his knowledge.

Check the comments on the YouTube
    video...the guy who sang actually tells the whole story.

DTK likes this.
  18. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Yes that's right.

supernaut likes this.
  19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up - that was very interesting reading. You'd have to think he knew that he was suppsed to imitate Mac's vocal style.
    Trip is a fascinating label, apparently it had mob involvement. They also released fake Hendrix albums.

bRETT likes this.
  20. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Tom Verlaine- Miller's Tale

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It's worth getting because LoveSexy is banded.

22. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Not exactly against his will, but the sessions and the release of the finished results were against his wishes. He went along with it reluctantly. He made no secret of the fact that he didn't like it, but the record execs who decided to advertise the fact on the cover soon realized what a mistake it was since the album was not a big seller. Most of his fan base probably said, "Well, if Wolf doesn't even like it, why should I?" Someone at Chess admitted the faux pas by saying, "You can't say the artist doesn't like the album."

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah, that's thing, Wolf went along with it because he probably felt it could further hus career, so it was indeed not released against his will.

There's so many myths around this album so it would be good to see an interview with him where he comments on the album. I don't know if he ever did comment on it publicly. Obviously the cover was a publicity stunt that didn't really work, but it could have.

Wolf followed this up with another album (Message To The Young) in the same style- lots of wah wah and fuzz guitars - so he seemingly went along with the same thing again without objection.

Now, this is not the best of Howlin' Wolf, but it's a fine album in itself imo, with cutting edge musicians like Pete Cosey who went on to play with Miles Davis.

24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

She did teenybopper albums? Where can I find these? :p

25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Indeed. While Electric Mud is a great album on its own terms they did force the issue a bit on the Wolf album perhaps.

Memorably, someone commented that it's the only blues album in existence where "harp" actually means concert harp and not harmonica.