Albums known to have been released against the artist's explicit will

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dondy, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Yes!

2. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

These don't really fit the criteria as they weren't against the artists will because they signed off on them but thought worth mentioning as albums that they had to be talked into releasing:

Michael Jackson - Blood on the Dancefloor
    This was a remix album with 5 new songs. Michael didn't particularly like remixes but apparently Sony talked him into it saying the fans love them (for the record- I don't!).

Madonna - You Can Dance
    I understand this was a similar situation. She said she was not keen on it but the fans seem to like it.

3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Canada.

ARK likes this.
  4. Ted Sallis

Ted Sallis Music Collector Extraordinaire

Live at Last - Black Sabbath

The Group recorded shows on a number of occasions throughout the 70's but were always unsatisfied with the results, due to Ozzy misremembering/not singing lyrics when he should or singing off-key, the tapes not sounding right and/or other issues. Their Record Co. finally decided to release a live album in 1980 w/o the Group's consent.

Ted

5. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Neil Young’s Journey Through The Past soundtrack LP was ‘rush’ released by Warner/Reprise in Nov 1972, well ahead of the movie, ostensibly to cash in on the holiday period while Neil’s Harvest was still a big hit.

The movie itself didn’t receive general distribution until early 1974, by which time the soundtrack was mostly cut out bin and Neil running through the ditch with Time Fades Away and On the Beach. The movie seems to be from a different era.

Anyhow, Neil wasn’t happy with the early release and he’s said that was the one time he really had issues with Reprise during his first tenure with them.

ARK likes this.
  6. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

The soundtrack ended up in the cutout bins, and I think I have seen the movie play once around 1980 at a rep house that played "cult" movies on weekends

Beamish13 and Michael Macrone like this.
  7. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

8. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

9. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

Would imagine all the Prince Re-issues from the vault, as he'd locked them away

10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Jonathan Richman has never been too happy about this album (The Modern Lovers) having been released without his say so. An album (or rather a collection of recordings) put together showcasing a version of the band’s sound that he had at the time become tired of. Recently though, he admitted that, having listened to it for the first time, he thought it was pretty good. He actually sounded pleased with the album.

[​IMG]

11. Darren Jones

Darren Jones Forum Resident

This debacle was released by Tom Parker against the wishes of Elvis. This was assembled by taking the between song comments from his live albums and was initially sold only at concerts on Parker's own label but later was released by RCA.

12. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Sounds like garbage!

Lost In The Flood and phillyal1 like this.
  13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

He didn't love the album at the time of its release, but was OK with Beserkley putting it out since he also agreed to make a new string of albums for them.

The Kim Fowley produced tracks that Bomp put out are a different story.

Michael Macrone and phillyal1 like this.
  14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It originally came out in the 70s - before he signed to Beserkley He’s never sounded ok with it - but have I misinterpreted things? Do you think his recent comments were then really about the Kim Fowley-produced ‘Original Modern Lovers’ album?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  15. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I don’t think new prints of it have ever been struck, and those copies made during the 70’s probably aren’t worth projecting anymore unless some were made in Technicolor (which I doubt). I can’t recall ever encountering any opportunities to watch it in a theatre.

16. garumph

garumph Forum Resident

This brings up an interesting situation. People might remember the "parallel importing" rules in Australia during the '90s. Basically it meant that any business could "import" CDs containing music for which copyright hadn't already been legally claimed, as long as the CDs were clearly marked "unapproved by the artist, caveat emptor on sound quality" on the cover and the "importers" paid royalties to the artists in question. (I hope this makes sense).

Which meant that for a while there were countless discount bootleg live discs of Pink Floyd, Stones, Madonna, Prince etc etc sitting side by side with official product, with "UNAUTHORISED" screaming at you from the cover.

The major labels got angry and the loophole was closed after a few years.

These discs are almost impossible to find "in the wild" these days too.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    Lost In The Flood likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

See, I'd only consider those released "against his will" if he'd left a will and stated he didn't want the material released.

Prince had to know his vault material would get released someday, and I don't think he ever made express statements that he didn't want the material to see the light of day.

Just because an artist doesn't release material doesn't mean he/she/they don't ever want it to get out.

fluxkit and faceinthecrowd like this.
  18. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

I have it on good authority that, if he did leave a will, and that's if, it's literally buried somewhere at Paisley Park.

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It was first released by Beserkley in 1976, in tendem with the then-new Jonathan & the Modern Lovers album. And that was really the first time he became known to anyone who hadn’t seen him in Boston five years before.

phillyal1, mr.datsun and Library Eye like this.
  20. oldcurmudgeon

oldcurmudgeon Anti-audiophile Extraordinaire

Do you really believe that?

21. Gnome de Plume

Gnome de Plume 12 HOT hits for a COOL penny!

Talk Talk leader Mark Hollis was very unhappy when he found out about History Revisited. He told Melody Maker:

I've never heard any of this stuff and I don't want to hear it . . . but to have people putting this stuff out under your name which is not you, y'know, I want no part of it. It's always been very important to me that I've got on with the people we've worked with. People's attitude has always been really important to me. So much of why someone would exist on one of our albums is what they are like as a person. So to find you've got people you've never given the time of day to going out as though it's you . . . it's disgusting.

Before it was released, Hollis sent letters requesting that the compilation be stopped, but EMI did not respond. In November 1991, Talk Talk sued EMI, delivering four writs against their former record label. The band claimed that material had been falsely attributed to them and that they were owed money from unpaid royalties. Talk Talk won the case in 1992, and EMI agreed to withdraw and destroy all remaining copies of the album.

Amnion, fretter and Amoepe like this.
  22. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It was first released on Home Of The Hits - and somehow yesterday I jumped to the wring conclusion it was a different label to Berserkly after checking a wiki entry on the subject.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  23. Harry Doonz

Harry Doonz Forum Resident

Margot and the Nuclear So-and-sos - Animal

24. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

25. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Of course. I take everything The Residents say at face value.

fast'n'bulbous likes this.