Albums known to have been released against the artist's explicit will

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dondy, Jul 16, 2020.

1. I saw Mason in 1972, ostensibly touring to promote the record, but he announced from the stage "don't buy my new album! It sucks because they wouldn't let me finish it".

2. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

I just happened to listen to MOTM ths evening, and what an excellent album...How much better did they expect it to be? lol

It's got "She", "Mary, Mary", Steppin' Stone","Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)" AND "I'm a Believer" all in the space of 29 minutes....there's a case in declaring it their best album...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  3. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

janschfan likes this.
  4. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident

Here's one that was released then withdrawn due to pressure from the artists: Deep Purple live album in 1993.

Deep Purple CD withdrawn

supernaut likes this.
  5. Good2BAnywhere

Good2BAnywhere Forum Resident

“The Day We Fall In Love” pokes holes in that case.

6. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

"Laugh" is even worse!

TimeWarper, O Don Piano and Sean like this.
  7. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I really like those Dave Mason Blue Thumb albums. His new label slicked up his sound & proceeded to over produce him.

Money

8. Kingsley Fats

I think Rotary Connection were involved with the 2 Muddy Waters that Marshall Chess foisted upon us.

9. Kingsley Fats

I don't think he had much say in the matter. He did however always refer to it as the dog sh** album.

10. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

It's impossible for anything in the universe to be worse than “The Day We Fall In Love”.

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Always, like in amevery interview he gave? Do tell.

12. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Davey always had one or two songs for the younger fans.

Suncola likes this.
  13. R79

R79 Forum Resident

I wonder if those Alice Cooper Toronto 69 albums, rereleased under different titles with the song titles completely wrong (and some even including Ronnie Hawkins tracks credited to Alice) fall into this category.

Lost In The Flood, Sean and DTK like this.
  14. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

Nor should you buy it. Frank was full of crap.

He delivered those four albums to get out of his contract, then re-edited them into a 4-LP set and shopped it to other labels when Warners refused to release them immediately. Eventually, Warner released them while Frank was recording for Mercury/Polygram. But he never delivered artwork for three of them, and also kept the line-up tones, which was apparently his standard practice to make sure he got invited to the mastering sessions.

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Most probably. The are in the "grey area" zone; recordings that appear on seemingly legal cheapo releases where ownership is unclear and no one has moved in legally or been able to stop them being re-re-re-released. See also the Hendrix/Jim Morrision 1968 Scene Club jam.

Lost In The Flood and phillyal1 like this.
  16. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

As mentioned earlier with the Pickwick Simon & Garfunkel repackaging the Tom & Jerry material, there is always a price to be paid for having struggled for some time, then finally grabbing the brass ring. Budget vinyl (Crown, Design, Spin-o-Rama, Custom, all that ilk), & CD's both are swimming in this legally grey pool allllll the time. Just last week I came across a "Sly & the Family Stone" labeled CD, but upon closer inspection and then listen turned out to be more late 50's to mid 60's material Sly had in his bag, all prior to his famous Epic assembly. This is nothing unusual at all and as a matter of fact extends across all musical genres, going back to the 50's at least. Billboard magazine's archives have had occasional stories of lawsuits filed by all manner of artists, all shocked that their private demo tapes were now available for a couple of Washingtons.

goodiesguy, McLover and DTK like this.
  17. R79

R79 Forum Resident

The worst part is that they were the only way to get the songs "Nobody Likes Me" and "Dont Blow Your Mind" on cd until 1999 when Alice put the studio versions on his box set.

DTK likes this.
  18. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

In the studio, Rotary Connection was basically just vocalists

DTK likes this.
  19. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I cannot agree that it can be said these were released "against Zappa's explicit will". He did want the material released, just not exactly in the forms we got them in. In the early 90's when he was re-releasing the catalog, he released these with this exact artwork and titles. He did change some things and remixed tracks, but the same thing was done on many other releases too.
    What FZ apparantly wanted was a 4LP box called Lather. I always wonderd why he did not do it in the 80's or 90's after he had the rights to these. Only after his passing were we finally offered Lather. ???

20. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

Look, I agree. But Papa Nez got raging mad when he saw it. You don't wanna anger that guy. Might put his fist through a wall or something.

pudgym and Instant Dharma like this.
  21. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Yet in the official account, Lather would have included Live in NYC, which was originally a double LP. So how could it have been a four record set?

I can't believe the Ryko version, which jumbles the NYC tracks with the rest, was the intended version. It's too long for four LPs anyway.

22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Indeed! I actually like a lot of those releases. If I'm really into an artist, I very much want to hear how they started out. Have been looking for some pre-fame Sly releases.

In the case of Hendrix, a lot of material a) he had nothing to do with - ie a Hendrix impersonator recorded in the early 70s and b) home jams from 1969 was falsely marketed as "early" material supposedly recorded before he signed a contract in order to avoid lawsuits.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Wasn't Heart's MAGAZINE released against their wishes?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  24. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Stan Getz & Bill Evans (1973)

Rejected by the artists after recording it in 1964, released by Verve in 1973 after both of them had left the label. I know that Bill wasn't happy about it. He didn't feel like the music had really come together. I think it's pretty good.

[​IMG]

Notice the odd juxtaposition of photos--Bill photographed sometime in the '60s, next to Getz in the '70s.

TimeWarper, DTK and Suncola like this.
  25. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Because the original In NY the sides are about 12-16 minutes if I recall correctly. That double LP could have easily been put on 3 sides. Also the rest of the individual releases are closer to 15 mins instead of 20 minutes per side. Looking at all of the timings I could see all 10 sides of the individual releases on 8 sides.

The Ryko has very different edits and mixes over the original(s) and some may have slightly added length. Also the Ryko added about 19 minutes of bonus tracks. The discs are 57 minutes, 57 minutes, and 58 minutes, for a total of roughly 172 minutes. 8 LP sides averaging 22 minutes each could easily fit in the 3CD set. Even including the new tracks and mixes.

On a side note the newest (2012) 3CD set the bonus tracks are OMITTED. ???

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Library Eye likes this.