Albums known to have been released against the artist's explicit will

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dondy, Jul 16, 2020.

1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

But, the album as submitted would have included "Punky's Whips," which added 11 minutes to it. And, Zappa seemed to prefer his Warner's album sides to be less than 20 mins, probably for sound quality reasons.

2. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

See the 2nd point I made. About the entire 3CD set on 4LP set. Also as being a fan since the mid 70's I learned that one can never predict what Zappa may do... Especially on a technical level.

3. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I’ll add, all the commercials featuring Bowie’s music. Same goes for Prince. Especially the steaming of his albums, which he strictly didn’t want.

thefxc likes this.
  4. zefferosnash

zefferosnash Forum Resident

Most members (I think all original members) of the Rotary Connection were members of Chess' house band. They had released an albums of pop/rock covers under the Rotary Connection name in an attempt to market to a rock audience. As such, they were billed as the Rotary Connection for Electric Mud and the New Howlin' Wolf Album, but were no longer being credited as such by the time After the Rain came out, despite it being mostly the same players. They kept doing albums as the Rotary Connection for a few years until I guess they stopped selling and Minnie Riperton went solo.

5. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I have one of those records, The Humble Beginnings Of England's Gilbert O'Sullivan And Gerry Dorsey. The Gilbert O'Sullivan side sounds like demo tapes. Based on what I later read, it seems he wouldn't have wanted this album released. He didn't like the version of "I Wish I Could Cry" that is on the album, and he has re-recorded that and most of his other songs on the album (his songs are on Side One). The Gerry Dorsey (who later became known as Engelbert Humperdinck) side sounds like early releases he did, and don't have the demo sound the O'Sullivan side has.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  6. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

I don't think James Taylor was pleased when his band's 1967 demo tape was released by Euphoria Records as James Taylor and the Original Flying Machine, though I like the record.

Rock in Rio was also an unauthorized release.

WMTC, phillyal1 and Mr. LP Collector like this.
  7. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Läther only included SOME of the Zappa in NY tracks. Not the whole double Lp.

Way before CD existed, "Läther" was bootlegged on vinyl (from the radio broadcast). The whole thing does stand on 4 Lps.

bRETT likes this.
  8. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Bobby Simms, Mitch Aliotta, Kenny Venegas, Judy Hauff, Sidney Barnes, and Minnie Riperton, the individuals identified as the original Rotary Connection, were all strictly vocalists on the debut album. The studio musicians on the Rotary Connection and the Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf albums were the same though.

9. Sean

Sean Senior Member

The Rolling Stones were dead set against this 1971 compilation. They disowned it upon release.
    [​IMG]

DTK likes this.
  10. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Heart was signed to the Mushroom record label. After their debut album, the band started to record another LP (which turned out to be 'Magazine'). Before those recordings were finished the band signed with Portrait even though they were still signed with Mushroom. They abandoned the Mushroom recordings (which they considered unfinished) and recorded the tracks which became their debut on Portrait, 'Little Queen'. Law suits hit the fan and Mushroom put together the abandoned tracks and released 'Magazine', just before 'Little Queen' was about to be released. More legal battles. Eventually a court ordered Mushroom to halt the distribution of 'Magazine'. The band was allowed to tinker with the 'Magazine' tracks in the studio; Mushroom was allowed to re-issue the revised 'Magazine' LP; and with that, Heart's contractual obligations with Mushroom were ended.

jeffd7030 and frightwigwam like this.
  11. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

How about "Your Auntie Grizelda."

12. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

It appears that Rotary Connection was a band put together by Marshall Chess to record for the Chess label

13. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Tom Rapp- Familiar Songs 1972

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yet, MCA did reissue this album again in 1986 under the title Nadine, against his will and this CD is not very common on the market.

Cool hand luke likes this.
  15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Curb had always been involved in the country music world even though they did release other genres but now their bread and butter for new material is in country and Contemporary Christian Music. The Sparks deal reminds me of the time Curb had reissued Delbert McClinton's 2 Capitol albums from the early 1980s, Jealous Kind and Plain' From The Heart on CD under Classics Vol. 1 for Jealous Kind and Plain' From The Heart as Classics Vol. 2 although the tracks are in the original album order.

16. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

That's right, nothing from Star Club on Anthology---the Beatles felt they'd been outclassed by the drunken waiter :)

DTK likes this.
  17. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

I think DYLAN is okay in spite of being carelessly thrown together...the music is fine and I'd take it over many of his mediocre 80's albums

DTK likes this.
  18. Zombie Dodge

Zombie Dodge Forum Resident

After Thriller blew up, Motown went back to its vaults and released Farewell My Summer Love, an album of previously unreleased tracks Michael Jackson recorded in the early seventies. The title track actually made the top 40. I've never heard for sure what MJ thought about it, but I suspect he (and CBS) wasn't happy about it.

Speaking of CBS, they slapped together Dylan from outtakes after Bob Dylan signed with Asylum.

What are some other albums that came out without cooperation of - and in some cases, opposition from - the artists?

19. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

More Of The Monkees (1967)

Dismissed by the band upon its release, particularly by Michael Nesmith who was supposedly so angry about it that he smashed his hand through a pane of glass.

Hey Vinyl Man and Instant Dharma like this.
  20. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Hank Williams III aka Hank3 album 'Hillbilly Joker' on Curb Records.
    [​IMG]
    From wiki:
    Eight years after This Aint Country's recording, and following Williams' 2011 acrimonious departure from the label, Curb suddenly elected to release the now-retitled album without any input from Williams, and promote it as "The New Hank Williams III Album." In response, Williams advised his fans "Don’t buy it, but get it some other way and burn the hell out of it and give it to everyone."

21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The first Jimmy Webb album release was "Jim Webb Sings Jim Webb". It was an unauthorised release by the record company, consisting of various demos orchestrated and "tarted up to sound like MacArthur Park". Jimmy has denounced it in the strongest possible terms.

And don't get Bob Lind started on "The Elusive Bob Lind", which, like the Webb album, is a bunch of unauthorised recordings of him performing in various places such as coffee-houses, and given the Stars On 45 treatment. There are some great songs here, but the production is truly horrendous.

geo50000 likes this.
  22. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I love it when artists tell their fans to pirate their music. I have a Flaming Lips CD that has a spoken intro track by Wayne telling fans to copy the disc and give it out and not spend money on it. It doesn't fit this thread though because they made the disc themselves!

23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

Get That Feeling - Jimi Hendrix Plays And Curtis Knight Sings (Capitol and London labels 1967)

24. Zombie Dodge

Zombie Dodge Forum Resident

Was that the "that could have been your face" incident?

25. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

The Beatles weren't too thrilled about the Capitol versions of their albums. I mean, I'm sure they loved the money, but John said something about how the albums were all mixed up, track-wise.