Albums :Name The Weak Album Side ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Apr 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Side Two is the better side.

2. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

The first two tracks are fine. But as someone else posted, it falls off a cliff after that. 2/5 is hardly what I would call a strong side. Even most Abbey Road naysayers, such as yourself, would acknowledge its side 1 scores better than that (3/6-4/6), although I would personally give it 6/6. ‍:shrug:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  3. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Forget Low, "Heroes" has the weak side 2!

My choice would be Pet Shop Boys' Please. Side 1 has 'Opportunities', 'West End Girls', 'Suburbia', 'Love Comes Quickly' and the decent album track '2/0'. Side 2......yikes. All duds.

4. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Strongly disagree. It's quite brilliant in fact. Not "Heroes" either. Both instrumental sides are groundbreaking, challenging and masterful ambient explorations.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  5. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

It's hard for me to say because I've heard most of side one too many times - especially Tom Sawyer, which isn't a favorite - and it's hard to remember what it was like to hear all this the first few times. But instinctively I agree.

Nycademon likes this.
  6. Grootna

Grootna Senior Member

I think Echoes is stronger than Seamus and A Pillow of Winds

7. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Sandinista side 6

8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Not me. The 11-minute Medley is one of my favorite things McCartney ever recorded.

Mother likes this.
  9. PawnshopGator

PawnshopGator Well-Known Member

In what corner of the universe does this even require explanation?

10. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Agreed, I don't think there are any good songs on side 4 of ATMP. I always end it at the title song, which is a perfect closer in my opinion.

11. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

In your opinion.

12. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Side 1

ARK likes this.
  13. classicrockguy

Davis Crosby's "If I Could Remember..." - the whole first side is brilliant, but side 2 only has "Traction in the Rain" otherwise it's mostly throwaway tracks.
    Almost seems like he ran out of songs after "Traction..."so he just threw together a bunch of wordless numbers and a version of "Orleans" to fill out the rest of the album. The endless "Song With No Words" just drags on forever, and the whole album just loses steam. Another rocker like "Cowboy Movie" would have been great somewhere on side 2 to liven things up

14. classicrockguy

Elton's "Madman Across the Water" is just fine on side 1, but side 2 quickly falls apart.

15. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

The Four Tops - On Top (1966).

This was their third album. Side one is six good-to-great soul tunes.

But side two is...show tunes? And a cover of the Beatles' "Michelle." Levi Stubbs sings this stuff well, but this side just doesn't work coming after the first side, and two previous LPs that were first-rate.

16. Full Circle

Full Circle Forum Resident

Oh, for sure, but I still enjoy them. Fearless is in my top 5 PF songs while Pillow of Winds and One of these Days are both excellent IMHO. Such a great album.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  17. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

For me, LZ III qualifies. Side one is stellar. Side two contains "Tangerine" and "That's the Way", both great; GP, BYA Stomp and Harper get on my nerves very quickly.

One interesting curio is Grin's 1+1. One side (1) "rockin'", the other side "dreamy". I love both sides but I wonder how many would-be fans were alienated by side 2?

18. 80steen

80steen John McClane

I actually prefer side 1 of Abbey Road to side 2.
    The production of the songs stands out. It's the most polished side of their career.
    Not sure how Come Together, Something, Oh! Darling and I Want You are weak and personally Octopus's Garden is underrated and is Ringo's best song with great harmonies and guitar work by George and as much flack as Maxwell's Silver Hammer gets, it's a very tight track.

19. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Side Two - "Waiting for the Sun" - the Doors

20. CaptainFeedback1

CaptainFeedback1 It's nothing personal.

Me too. I never listen to either.

ARK and pig bodine like this.
  21. simoncm

simoncm Forum Resident

Phil Ochs, Tape From California. Side 1 - every track a gem, bookended by brilliant title track and inspired outro to The War Is Over (military band playing Ochs' I Ain't Marching Anymore). None of the three tracks on Side 2 comes near, in my opinion.

22. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Come Together, Something, and She's So Heavy? No album side with those three can possibly be weak.

(And I love Octopus's Garden myself, but that doesn't even have to enter into it.)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  23. milco

milco Forum Resident

Side two of 'Thick as a brick' by Jethro Tull. Side one is timeless...flawless. Side two sounds like it was thrown together just to finish the project: no structure, no memorable songs. It's a sort of mish-mash of forgettable, underwhelming ideas.

24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Mike + the Mechanics - The Living Years, side 2

Elton John - A Single Man, side 1

25. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

afaik someone had to chose the songs from best to worst, and then they put it in that order on the album... maybe not a good way to sequence an album

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.